Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Irish actually spoken in the Gealtachts?

• 01-11-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

This might sound stupid but is Irish actually spoken in the Gealtachts? I was speaking to an Irish speaker from a gaeltacht and this person was telling me that it isn't spoken (although they still can) there anymore.

I was planning to take a trip to a gaeltacht just to have a weekend as gaeilge. but now it seems like I cant????

anyone have any opinions on the above?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 twinkles300

Oscail mo chroi (open my heart) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Its not spoken , no. The only time you may hear a cupla focail is when they think you may be visiting from the department + may be going to cut off the grant...

Look in any newsagents or bookshops in the gaeltacht. Nothing that sells is in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I would have to disagree....there are parts of connemara where ppl do speak irish pretty much all the time. I know this because a friend was telling me they couldnt hire polish workers in the shops as the older members of the community wouldnt speak to the staff in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

If you were to recommend one to go to for the weekend to speak IRish where would you recommend?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

If you were to recommend one to go to for the weekend to speak IRish where would you recommend?

An Cheathrú Rua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

An Cheathrú Rua or Leitir Móir in Galway and some other areas are the best places for Irish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I worry for the future of the language if it's not even being spoken in the Gaeltacht anymore! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Speaking for Conamara, yes it is. I know many people who struggle to speak well in English as they speak Irish primarily and maybe also work locally and thus don't need to speak English too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

In the two places that I've stayed:

Donegal speak mixed English and Irish, children are fluent in both English and Irish from a very early age, Older people speak Irish almost all of the time.

Rath Cairn in Meath speak Irish only, English is never spoken, it was a true joy to experience such a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

I lived in ballyferriter ( near dingle) for 6months, and irish was their chosen language. They'd speak english to me and when i was around because they had the manners to know i couldn't understand. But anytime i ever walked in on a conversation it was in irish.

• Advertisement

The only Irish speaking areas left are in Northwestern Donegal, South Conamara, and the Western end of the Dingle pennisiula and the village of Rath Chairn. In the other Gaeltachtaí I'm said to say Irish is basically dead as a spoken language. Carrowteige/Ceathrú Thaidhg is the last Irish speaking area in Mayo.

Theres are the fíor-Ghaeltacht, basically the Gaeltacht today:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Gaeltacht_2007.jpg

Is searbh an fhírinne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

You forgot the islands off Galway and Donegal.
    The Aran Islanders dont regard themselves as Conamara people and on Toraigh and other islands they can be heard to say "tá mé ag gabháil go hÉireann inniu"...they are going to the mainland but say that they are going to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Irish is still spoken as a first language in areas of the far NW, W and SW, as others have mentioned. But if we're being technical, then the Gaeltachtaí (as indicated on some maps in yellow and by road signs saying "An Ghaeltacht") no longer correspond to the areas in which Irish is spoken, as the boundaries of the Gaeltachtaí have not been changed for about fifty years, I think. So you have areas like Clonbur, Carnmore and Annaghdown in East Galway and Barrnatra and Pollatomish in North Mayo which are in fact Anglophone but officially Irish-speaking. This is where you get all the craic with pretending to speak Irish to get Gaeltacht grants for new windows and so on.

Posy wrote: »
    I worry for the future of the language if it's not even being spoken in the Gaeltacht anymore! :(

It is. It has to be remembered that young people in the Gaeltacht dont want to be leaving the Gaeltacht with broken English and be laughed at as happened their antecedents. They practise their English language skills but that does'nt mean that they have abandoned their native tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭General Michael Collins

To speak for Rath Cairn, the people there (obviously) speak both English and Irish, but Irish is certainly the language of choice. They truly make trojan efforts to promote the language, being a tiny island of Irish in a sea of English. And they don't seemingly deserve a place on yon map. I once had the pleasure of doing door to door salesman (of sorts) in the area, and was told off, in Irish, for attempting to address them in English. To be fair to me, my Irish was very weak at the time, but I muddled through the rest of the houses as Gaeilge and felt the response the better for it.

On a recent short visit to An Rinn in Co. Waterford, I found Irish speakers sure enough but they have been surrounded by blow-ins who make no effort. In Ráth Cairn they have tight control of who moves in to their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

As depressing as it is, most of the Gaeltacht population speak English. It is only in the Fíor-Ghaeltacht where it remains relativley strong, but even there, a lot of the kids prefer to use English.

The Gaeltacht will die out eventually, maybe in 2 generations. It's for that reason that we should putting all our resources into opening more Gaeilscoils. Ideally, all public schools in Ireland should be Gaelscoils. Does anyone have any better ideas on how to save ár dteanga?

http://i.imgur.com/IxO39.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Plenty of Irish in West Kerry, esp out in Dúnchaoin. Have heard a lot of English in Rathcairn.

As depressing as it is, most of the Gaeltacht population speak English. It is only in the Fíor-Ghaeltacht where it remains relativley strong, but even there, a lot of the kids prefer to use English.

The Gaeltacht will die out eventually, maybe in 2 generations. It's for that reason that we should putting all our resources into opening more Gaeilscoils. Ideally, all public schools in Ireland should be Gaelscoils. Does anyone have any better ideas on how to save ár dteanga?

http://i.imgur.com/IxO39.jpg

You don't hold out much hope for the 20 year strategy's success, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Rredwell wrote: »
    Irish is still spoken as a first language in areas of the far NW, W and SW, as others have mentioned. But if we're being technical, then the Gaeltachtaí (as indicated on some maps in yellow and by road signs saying "An Ghaeltacht") no longer correspond to the areas in which Irish is spoken, as the boundaries of the Gaeltachtaí have not been changed for about fifty years, I think. So you have areas like Clonbur, Carnmore and Annaghdown in East Galway and Barrnatra and Pollatomish in North Mayo which are in fact Anglophone but officially Irish-speaking. This is where you get all the craic with pretending to speak Irish to get Gaeltacht grants for new windows and so on.
    Well, yes and no.
    There might be very little Irish in Carn Mór and Eanach Dúin, but in most official Gaeltachts there is some native Irish spoken, even if it is not the community language. This is the argument for keeping the areas in the official Gaeltacht, and the fact of the matter is that it gives recognition to that minority which is an important psychological factor in encouraging them to continue to speak Irish.
    On the other hand, there are those who are only interested in the grants. I once spoke to a man who was brought up in one of these areas, and he explained the mechanism that was at work in his family.
    His father had no Irish, and his mother was a native Irish speaker, but had no time at all for the language. As they were poor, she agreed to speak Irish to her children to qualify for the grants; but as soon as each of them came of age, she stopped, and changed to English.
    I dread to think how all this affected her - the mother - psychologically; but it produced a new generation who were able to speak Irish, and some of them - less poor than their parents - came to love the language.

• Advertisement

The Oireachtas na Gaeilge festival is now so big it can no longer be held in any Gaeltacht. At this moment Cill Airne in the county of Kerry is doing the honours and people from every Gaeltacht and none have thronged there. It promises to be the highlight of the year, as usual, for Irish speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

The Oireachtas na Gaeilge festival is now so big it can no longer be held in any Gaeltacht. At this moment Cill Airne in the county of Kerry is doing the honours and people from every Gaeltacht and none have thronged there. It promises to be the highlight of the year, as usual, for Irish speakers.

I'm gona be there:)

Its great to see that it has become so popular, I know that there are going to be around 500 students there this weekend, more than ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

This might sound stupid but is Irish actually spoken in the Gealtachts? I was speaking to an Irish speaker from a gaeltacht and this person was telling me that it isn't spoken (although they still can) there anymore.

I was planning to take a trip to a gaeltacht just to have a weekend as gaeilge. but now it seems like I cant????

anyone have any opinions on the above?

its spoken where you least expect it and not spoken where you expect it. I speak Irish when in the Gaeltacht cos I know they understand me. they may respond in english, but thats their business.

BTW there are two types of Irish - that of the Gaeltacht and that of the urban Gaelscoil, which are not mutually understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

DeBrugha wrote: »
    An Cheathrú Rua or Leitir Móir in Galway and some other areas are the best places for Irish.

I went into a petrol station there in Leitir mor and the dude answered me in english although i spoke to him in irish. he understood everything though, just could not be bothered. i smiled at him and told him i would take my business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Trigger88

Both my parents are from 'deep' within the Connemara Gaeltacht. At their homeplaces everyone speaks english. Unless a certain old person comes into the house things may switch the Irish but apart from that. I currently like in a Gaeltacht and no one speaks half a word of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Trigger88 wrote: »
    Both my parents are from 'deep' within the Connemara Gaeltacht.

Cén áit i gConamara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I've always been pleasantly surprised I have to say. I actually expected much less Irish to be spoken than there actually is. I also expected that my Irish would be "Dickens" Irish, since I learned it mainly from books written around the start of the twentieth century, so I thought my vocab would be way off, my grammar archaic and my attempts at using idioms would come off as twee or silly. However none of this happened, I basically found the Irish in the Gaeltachtaí to be pretty much the same as what I learnt, so the language isn't decaying. (The only real difference is that grammar for adjectives has been made simpler.)

Cén áit i gConamara?

I don't have Irish and have no idea what you're saying. my point..

Ah come on are you saying you went to school in Ireland and didn't learn that simple a question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Where in Conamara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

To speak for Rath Cairn, the people there (obviously) speak both English and Irish, but Irish is certainly the language of choice. They truly make trojan efforts to promote the language, being a tiny island of Irish in a sea of English. And they don't seemingly deserve a place on yon map. I once had the pleasure of doing door to door salesman (of sorts) in the area, and was told off, in Irish, for attempting to address them in English. To be fair to me, my Irish was very weak at the time, but I muddled through the rest of the houses as Gaeilge and felt the response the better for it.

They sound very rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

They sound very rude.

It could equally be suggested that calling to the homes of Irish speakers and attempting to engage with them in English is rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I know when I was in Irish College in Carna, the local children used Irish as their first language. The Iníon an Tí, maybe 10 or so, spoke in Irish on the phone to her school friends, even when we weren't meant to be around.

It could equally be suggested that calling to the homes of Irish speakers and attempting to engage with them in English is rude.

Would you be rude to someone speaking a different language?

I wouldn't, especially if I spoke that language.

Must entirely agree with this. The language weakened because Irish speaking people spoke English to each other. Regardless of how weakly we may begin, Irish speaking people must speak Irish to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Shared a house in Galway with a girl from Carraroe and she and her family always spoke Irish to each other on the phone or if they called around.

She also said there were a lot more insults and nasty comments on Ros na Rún that the subtitles didn't show :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

They sound very rude.

If your buying something they speak your language, if your selling something you speak their language, thats the way its always been.

If your buying something they speak your language, if your selling something you speak their language, thats the way its always been.

So you would be rude to someone because they tried to speak to you in English, even though you understand them fully and they may not be able to speak Irish, like most of the Irish population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Both my parents are from 'deep' within the Connemara Gaeltacht. At their homeplaces everyone speaks english. Unless a certain old person comes into the house things may switch the Irish but apart from that. I currently like in a Gaeltacht and no one speaks half a word of it

B(e)arna! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

mikemac wrote: »
    She also said there were a lot more insults and nasty comments on Ros na Rún that the subtitles didn't show :P
    Especially when Séamus is speaking,some rather errr...salty...comments become thing like "bad luck to you"

• Advertisement

No but you're close ;)

Rhedyn wrote: »
    Ah come on are you saying you went to school in Ireland and didn't learn that simple a question?

I was born in uk and was exempt. and have never picked up a word even though I live in gaeltacht

No but you're close ;)

Na Forbacha?

Na Forbacha?

Stop trying to stalk me and no!

I was born in uk and was exempt. and have never picked up a word even though I live in gaeltacht

You can't have tried very hard.

Rhedyn wrote: »
    You can't have tried very hard.

Never said I did judger. But if it was spoken around with two fluent speaking parents I would be bound to pick up a bit. None of my friends locally speak any Irish, went to all irish speaking national school

They may be speaking English on your behalf. Also, I would'nt call close to Bearna "deep" Conamara!

Bearna isn't even in Connemara

Thats no excuse really

I was born in England to an English mother and Irish father and currently living in England, I was exempt for Irish spelling etc when I was very young for tests when I was in school but now I am a fluent speaker of Irish, infact people think I am from Connemara.

Being exempt from school is no excuse, not in my case anyway.

Thats no excuse really

I was born in England to an English mother and Irish father and currently living in England, I was exempt for Irish spelling etc when I was very young for tests when I was in school but now I am a fluent speaker of Irish, infact people think I am from Connemara.

Being exempt from school is no excuse, not in my case anyway.

Fair play to you deBrugha !

• Advertisement
Advertisement