Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Vótáil Sinn Féin" - is this correct Irish?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

The Sinn Féin election posters read, “Vótáil Sinn Féin” – is this correct Irish? The word “Vótáil”, or, more precisely, “Ag Vótáil” means “Voting”. The expression “Vote Sinn Féin” – the context in which they use it is vocative plural - would correctly translate as “Vótaigí Sinn Féin”, or so I would have thought. Which is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

The verb "vótáil" means "to vote". "Ag vótáil" means "voting". The order "vótáil" (when directing the order to one person) means "vote". The order "vótáiligí" (when directing the order to more than one person) means "vote".

There is no such word as "vótaigí".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mediaeval

that clears it up! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Here's the thing; you could certainly argue that Vótáil X is wrong, since strictly, it should be Vótáil do X. But the fact is Vote X is not good English either, yet nobody seems to question that particular abbreviation of a phrase. It's been abbreviated because of the restrictions of space on the poster. Personally, I have bigger problems with SF paying lip-service to the language with the 'cúpla focal' on their posters, but not proper bi-lingualism in their general literature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

check their website they do have more irish than fine gael and the same as fine fáil and labour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Their Euro MEP candidate, Toireasa Ferris, had 'ag obair duit' as a slogan on some of here posters. This sounded funny to me and I suspect it is a direct translation attempt from the English 'working for you'.

I would say 'ag obair ar do shon' or addressing everybody - 'ag obair ar bhur son'.

Anyone want to comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I have seen 'déanta duit' written by native speakers which means 'done for you', eg. 'tá an chéad abairt déanta duit'.

ag obair ar do shon, could be more formal, like working on your behalf.. that kinda meaning. I've seen that on Ganley's posters around Galway.

ar do shon would seem more apporpiate for a formal thing

maybe she directly translated it or maybe she wanted a less formal version to put accross a more personal approach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

check their website they do have more irish than fine gael and the same as fine fáil and labour
    tokenism

tokenism

Leif- E
    eh Republicanism? A goal of united 32 counties?

Irish being our national language they ain't that far removed ideologically speaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

pog it wrote: »
    Irish being our national language they ain't that far removed ideologically speaking!

Irish is a language. It is apolitical. It doesn't care about states or numbers of counties. I expect all the parties to support it much as I expect all parties to ensure a supply of clean tapwater. There is no 'ideological' connection.

There is a good book on people in the unionist/loyalist community up north who are striving to learn Gaeilge.

• Advertisement

My point was that Sinn Fein have a genuine interest in the Irish language and it's unfair to dismiss it as just 'tokenism'. I wasn't saying none of the other parties have no interest in it or no other groups have an interest in it. Anyway I'm not engaging in political debate after that. We can't adjudicate properly since sinn fein haven't been in government and we don't really know what they would do for Irish if they were in, much like fine gael.

languages do work outside politics and states/countries yes
    but that is not to say they sometimes dont go hand in hand also

yes many unionists past and present are and have learned irish - many have not.
    same of nationalists and whatever religion or whatever you choose to divide people up...

vótáil sinn féin maybe not be the best - but its meaning is there and the thought

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

topper75 wrote: »
    Irish is a language. It is apolitical. It doesn't care about states or numbers of counties. I expect all the parties to support it much as I expect all parties to ensure a supply of clean tapwater. There is no 'ideological' connection.

There is a good book on people in the unionist/loyalist community up north who are striving to learn Gaeilge.

Gusty Spence, founder member of the UVF learned Irish when he was in gaol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Múinteoir wrote: »
    Personally, I have bigger problems with SF paying lip-service to the language with the 'cúpla focal' on their posters, but not proper bi-lingualism in their general literature.

I would take issue with this statement. Since being apart of SF, and an active member of Ógra Shinn Féin - I've met many language activists who have helped me improve my Irish and who use it and encourage it publically everyday.

We have politicians in the North, fighting hard to introduce Acht na Gaeilge. I have personally driven from Waterford to Belfast to march in support of it. We run an annual gaeltacht excursion for all young Ógra activists to aid them in learning a little, and giving them a chance to see why the language is important and an opportunity to use it where they may not have had before.

Aside from being on many marches in support of the language, I also setup the only conversational group in my city, with only a few words to my name at the time. I have kept it going for 2 years, at times when I was the only person in attendance - but I never missed a week, bar one. It should be noted that this group has no politics or political affiliation.

As for bi-lingualism - I have a wealth of different documents right with me now that are bi-lingual. Will you find some that aren't? Sure.. But does that mean that SF aren't doing constructive work for the language nationally?

To say that they are "paying lip-service" is unfair IMO.

great point

for sinn féin to work anymore in irish would, and it pains me to say it but, be unrepresentational of the popultion of ireland

Advertisement