Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Playing' an instrument

Options
  • 16-10-2007 9:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I know how to say the verb to play, but as in to play a musical instrument

How do I spell the the 'playing' form of the verb

It's pronounced ag shen-ebh, but I would like to know how to spell it properly

Thank you!
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

"Táim ag seinm _____", I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yep, that's it!

Thank you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

'ag casadh' is also used. I first heard it said by Nicholas O'Carolan but have heard it lots of times since on the radio. Now I don't know if it's a regional term for playing in the context of playing music, but the verb means twisting and turning and I've always said casadh since!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

"Táim ag seinm _____", I believe.

spelling correct, tense incorrect afaik.

seinm - I play, táim ag sheint (sp?) - I'm playing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

pog it wrote: »
    'ag casadh' is also used. I first heard it said by Nicholas O'Carolan but have heard it lots of times since on the radio. Now I don't know if it's a regional term for playing in the context of playing music, but the verb means twisting and turning and I've always said casadh since!

I think you're right, but keep in mind that it may refer to the spinning of the disk / vinyl and be radio specific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Seinnim - I play

Seinm - Playing

Similar, but not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

uberwolf, thanks for pointing that out. I just today realised that! Martin Tom Sheáinin was saying that he would be playing a Noel Hill record and he said 'ag casadh' for this verb.

Are there any other words linked to the playing of Irish music, say like the ones there are specific to knitting for example? Like rolls...cranns, etc.??

Advertisement