Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner Irish Conversation Group (Co Dublin)

Options
  • 05-07-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

IRISH: A beginners’ Irish conversation group will meet in Coolock Library, Barryscourt Road, every Tuesday until the end of August. New members are very welcome. If you would like to join, come along on Tuesday from 11am to 12.30pm. For further information, phone 8477781.

IRISH: An Irish language conversation group has started up in Swords. The group meets every Tuesday at 8pm in the Carnegie Court Hotel. Whether you are a fluent Irish speaker or have just the 'Cupla Focal', this is a friendly and stress-free way of speaking the Irish language, in a social setting. All are welcome to come along. For further information, contact Dympna at 087-0566377.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

An-mhaith. Go n-éirí leis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 T6

Howya Johnny and Gael. Was hoping you could help me. I'm looking for some private Irish lessons and am having a real problem finding them. Would you know of anywhere that does them. I am preferably looking for Connaught Irish as it seems the to be the purest form, but if an alternative can be found so be it. Looking for private lessons as I am looking to learn a considerable amount before I go into general conversation classes.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

On a similar note, Dublin City Library have Irish-English conversation groups in their Ilac Centre branch on Saturday mornings. I haven't yet had a chance to go, but I really want to when I've time.

Have any boardsies been or are any of ye interested in going?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is also a conversation group in Balbriggan and classes weekly.
    Class nighrs vary depending on your level of Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Beginners class : Monday 7.15pm - 8.15pm

Intermediate class: Monday 8:30pm - 9:30pm

Árd Rang : Aoine 8.30 - 9.30

The cost if 5 euro to cover room rental

Bracken Court hotel Baile Brígin(Balbriggan)

It is good fun and there tends to be a bit of chat and music after the classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

There hasnt been any posts here in awhile.

I want to learn Irish again. Is there any places around at the moment were random people just meet up to try and chat in IRISH? North Dubli or city centre would be cool.

Tá mo gaelige úfásanacht. Ach beo liom abhieth go maith nó ceart go loir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

How about classes for those in the south,I am in Corcaigh and want desperately to become an Irish speaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

greg-h wrote:
    How about classes for those in the south,I am in Corcaigh and want desperately to become an Irish speaker

Tá ciorcal comhrá anseo i gCorcaigh

Dontico wrote:

I want to learn Irish again. Is there any places around at the moment were random people just meet up to try and chat in IRISH? North Dubli or city centre would be cool.

The Bracken court on a Friday night before and after the class,is a good chance to chat as gaeilge with alot of people of mixed ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

Sayin I'd like to start learning Irish. Has anyone heard of a lessons or private teachers based in Laois... Portlaoise?

• Advertisement

hi

if you interested in Hillwalking, and have a fairly good knowledge of conversational Irish............

www.cnocadoiri.com

Sayin I'd like to start learning Irish. Has anyone heard of a lessons or private teachers based in Laois... Portlaoise?

I just spent half an hour trawling the net for Irish lessons in Laois and came up with absolutely squat. Laois VEC aren't even running beginners classes. Your best bet is to check noticeboards in supermarkets or local notices in newspapers for Irish grinds for schoolkids and see if they'll take an adult. Tell us how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 konawi

You should try gaeltalk.net cos they do 1-1 skype lessons by the hour. very handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

Don't know much about Irish language, therefore please accept my apologies
    if any of the questions will sound silly :)

1. Are there different types of Irish?
    2. If so:
    a. What are they?
    b. What would be the differences?
    3. I would like to learn Irish in terms of conversation, writing and grammar. Any suggestions on this?
    4. The reason for this is, that my son is going to learn Irish at school. And i really need to be able to help him if he needs any help, or be able at least to check his homework. I would really hate knowing nothing about it.

FoxyCat wrote: »
    Don't know much about Irish language, therefore please accept my apologies
    if any of the questions will sound silly :)

1. Are there different types of Irish?
    2. If so:
    a. What are they?
    b. What would be the differences?
    3. I would like to learn Irish in terms of conversation, writing and grammar. Any suggestions on this?
    4. The reason for this is, that my son is going to learn Irish at school. And i really need to be able to help him if he needs any help, or be able at least to check his homework. I would really hate knowing nothing about it.

There are three different dialects of Irish to be found in the provinces of Ulster, Munster and Connaught. While they are differences they're still the same language. There is also an official standardized Irish created by the government from the dialects. School books are generally in standardized Irish.

Your child's teacher may be a native speaker from a particular province or will have standardized Irish and possibly a smattering of a particular dialect depending on how the teacher picked up the language. Self help books, classes, tutors can all be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

dranoel wrote: »
    There are three different dialects of Irish to be found in the provinces of Ulster, Munster and Connaught. While they are differences they're still the same language. There is also an official standardized Irish created by the government from the dialects. School books are generally in standardized Irish.

Your child's teacher may be a native speaker from a particular province or will have standardized Irish and possibly a smattering of a particular dialect depending on how the teacher picked up the language. Self help books, classes, tutors can all be found.

Thanks dranoel. I was looking for some material already. Is it difficult to learn, comparing to English?

Picking up any language takes perserverance. I wouldn't say it was more difficult, just different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 konawi

Have a quick look online and see what you make of the first lesson of a beginners course.
    Something like www.gaeltalk.net gives you a free sample lesson or even byki is a good one for being introduced to words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 looking

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me and tell me how to say "I am from Sweden"

Thanks

looking wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me and tell me how to say "I am from Sweden"

Thanks

Is as an tSualainn mé

I am from Sweden

sound file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Dontico wrote: »

Club Sult January 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Club Sult January 10th

where is club sult?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

hey looking for a group like the one ye mentioned in limerick,,, was wondering can anyone help?

reganovich wrote: »
    where is club sult?

The Vaults in the IFSC www.clubsult.com.
    The 10th is on the schedule but not details of programme

DaraDali wrote: »
    hey looking for a group like the one ye mentioned in limerick,,, was wondering can anyone help?

I don't know anything about Limerick but there is general advice on gaeilge.ie on how to find one. It will involve some ringing around most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Is as an tsualuain me.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

i have been looking for classes for adult beginers in cork city, but i cant find anything, can some one point me in the right direction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Wilton Library conversational group - Thurdays at 2.30pm

UCC courses www.ucc.ie/igl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laoch Fiach

ba mhaith liom níos mó gaeilge a fhoghlaim, tá mé ag freastal ar scoil fós ach ba mhaith liom mo gailge a úsáid freisin, cén topic a rachaidh mé má tá uaim é seo a dhéanamh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

ba mhaith liom níos mó gaeilge a fhoghlaim, tá mé ag freastal ar scoil fós ach ba mhaith liom mo gailge a úsáid freisin, cén topic a rachaidh mé má tá uaim é seo a dhéanamh?

Ní thuigim do ceist.

Advertisement