Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pronounce girls name Aoibhe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Dustie wrote: »
    we spell our daughter's name Aoibhe and pronounce in Ava. Anyone who would correct you on how your own daughter's name is pronounced or who would correct your daughter on her own name would have to be a real know-it-all with no social skills!

Anyone who would call their child Ava and spell it 'Aoibhe' would have to be some real know-very-little with no Irish spelling (or otherwise pronunciation) skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dustie wrote: »
    This is a bit late obviously for you Colleen but we spell our daughter's name Aoibhe and pronounce in Ava. Anyone who would correct you on how your own daughter's name is pronounced or who would correct your daughter on her own name would have to be a real know-it-all with no social skills!

The word you are looking for is "literate".

Why not either pronouce it Aoibhe or else spell it Aobha. They're both perfectly good names.

I don't understand this trend for "oh, Mary down the road had a little boy, she's called him William, spelt A-L-B-E-R-T", rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Talliesin wrote: »
    I don't understand this trend for "oh, Mary down the road had a little boy, she's called him William, spelt A-L-B-E-R-T", rubbish.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennifer_123

My Cousins daughters name is Aoibhe and her name is pronounced Ava so i would deffinatley say Ava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

if you put the letters aoi beside each other its pronounced "ee". Call her what you want, but if you want to prevent confusion there might be problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

well my sister's name is Aoibheann and is pronounced Ay-vin....different dialect perhaps? Mine is Ailbhe and despite being pronounced Alva the most common attempt is Ay-il-va. It gets very annoying having people mis-pronounce your name let me tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

When my ex-wife and I decided that we liked the way Aobha was pronounced, we not only called our youngest daughter that, but spelt it that way. Aoibhe is no more pronounced Aobha than it is Michael or Engelbert or Porcupine.

The clue is that there are different letters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saibhreas

Sorry to be dragging this post up again but just wondering is there actually an irish version of the name Aveen?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

beautiful name, pronounced ava in my opinion!

Advertisement