Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watch arses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

unkel wrote: »
    You'd buy the watch for that arse alone. I watched it live. As an infant, so I obviously don't remember, but I do thank my late parents for waking me up for it :p

I was 20. Space exploration was never a big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Tag Link CJF2115

508097.jpeg

Steinhart Ocean One Premium

508098.jpeg

Rotary GS03862/01

508099.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

49170355468_ef305840a3_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Come on Eoin, that deserves a better quality photo. Take it near a window with good light :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Some real nice arses here, surprised there hasn't been a seamaster professional yet...

EQeE9zs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is the arse of what's getting most wrist time with me at present.
    I'm waiting on the display back to get a good look at the ST-1901 ;)

508523.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

banie01 wrote: »
    This is the arse of what's getting most wrist time with me at present.
    I'm waiting on the display back to get a good look at the ST-1901 ;)

[/IMG]

I took the plunge and ordered one just before you posted this. And now of course on reading your post I've realised I forgot to order the display case back!!!

Cassius99 wrote: »
    I took the plunge and ordered one just before you posted this. And now of course on reading your post I've realised I forgot to order the display case back!!!

Give Ed a message and ask him to add one, I know they are showing as OOS at the moment tho.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Did you go for a variant? Or stay classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

banie01 wrote: »
    Give Ed a message and ask him to add one, I know they are showing as OOS at the moment tho.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Did you go for a variant? Or stay classic?

That's a good idea, I must give him a message! I stayed with the classic design, sterile dial. I have to say it really caught my eye when you posted pictures of it. Would prefer a brown strap to the black that comes with it, but sure that's easily fixed.

Cassius99 wrote: »
    That's a good idea, I must give him a message! I stayed with the classic design, sterile dial. I have to say it really caught my eye when you posted pictures of it. Would prefer a brown strap to the black that comes with it, but sure that's easily fixed.

I got a brown strap with mine, the Fluco strap that Ed does comes in 2 colours.
    I just asked him for the honey brown with my order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Tag F1 chrono Caliber 16 Automatic. 44mm with the blue face. CAZ2015.BA0876

509276.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Come on Eoin, that deserves a better quality photo. Take it near a window with good light :pac:

Here's a clearer photo

49772416173_dc634f36ed_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Not too many quartz watches with a display back

csm-Meister-Mega-058-4803-44-RS-Beauty-aa08b7a27c.jpg
    flip 5 coins

It has a perpetual calendar up until the year 2400:pac:

https://www.junghans.de/en/junghans-collection/watches/junghans-meister-mega.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Orient Monarch mechanical. Not very interesting display of a movement that apparently originated with pocket watches.

511842.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional from the last year of being the Official F1 Timekeeper.

XbUUvr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Why is the milgauss one of the only Rolex that has anything printed on the back??? Generally a plain caseback on them all which is disappointing but part of the Oyster functionality thing I suppose.

20200507-113937.jpg

Why is the milgauss one of the only Rolex that has anything printed on the back??? Generally a plain caseback on them all which is disappointing but part of the Oyster functionality thing I suppose.

Does the seadweller not have an engraved case back?
    I thought it had, but wouldn't be the 1st time I've been wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Generally a plain caseback on them all which is disappointing but part of the Oyster functionality thing I suppose.
    Might also be a holdover from the days when many watches were more one off purchase lifetime watches and given as presents and presentations, so they left the casebacks blank for personal engravings*? Something few would dream of doing now.

If you go pre say 1960, you rarely encounter anything on the back of the "good watch" brands. Maybe Rolex kept that tradition?

*Funny enough of the early Oysters and Bubblebacks I had at various times in the 90's, all but one had a personal engraving.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Here is the other side of the coin. A totally pointless display back. This Seiko 5 has one on the new models. The movement looks alright but is mostly not ornamental, and not really worth displaying. The thickness of the back and glass add to an already thick watch. Yeah you look at it once when it comes out of the box, go oh thats nice and then never look at it again. Totally unnecessary on a watch at this point and the cost would be better spent on solid end-links on the bracket.

20200507-170027.jpg
    20200507-170042.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Here is the other side of the coin. A totally pointless display back. This Seiko 5 has one on the new models. The movement looks alright but is mostly not ornamental, and not really worth displaying. The thickness of the back and glass add to an already thick watch. Yeah you look at it once when it comes out of the box, go oh thats nice and then never look at it again. Totally unnecessary on a watch at this point and the cost would be better spent on solid end-links on the bracket.

20200507-170027.jpg
    20200507-170042.jpg

Wash your dirty mouth out! 24ct gold coated Seiko rotor..

IMG-20171129-103836283-HDR.jpg

Plus it's a great to be able to show anyone what's inside.

• Advertisement

Couldn't disagree more. Who cares if it's not ornamental? And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.
    One of the many annoying things about rolex is their lack of display caseback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Couldn't disagree more. Who cares if it's not ornamental? One of the nicest here imho is the junghans funkyouup posted above.

And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.

Unless it's a Rolex Prince, they have an exhibition back and a beautiful movement behind it.

Zenith have some fantastic rear ends, especially the El Primeros. Don't think I've seen one in this forum yet?

One of the nicest here imho is the junghans funkyouup posted above.

I would have to disagree with you there.
    And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.

I god no, I am not that guy. THe one who tries to bore to death educate people who dont know what an automatic is when asedk out of politeness. Nobody ever seems to care about my watches except me.

Wibbs....Wibbs, are you there. I am trying to be good, I really am..

eljono wrote: »
    Zenith have some fantastic rear ends, especially the El Primeros. Don't think I've seen one in this forum yet?
    Yeah, they have. Was looking at a few in the airport recently. One of those brands where I'd be happy with pretty much anything from their entire collection

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unless it's a Rolex Prince, they have an exhibition back and a beautiful movement behind it.
    Generally speaking Rolex movements have never been particularly "pretty" to look at and again generally they applied an engineering bias more than an ornamental one.

rolex-3135-movement.jpg

It's not tarted up, it's kinda "basic" looking, but it's like that for solid horological reasons. Mid range Seiko movements are similar. Solid. You can bate a Rolex movement like that off a wall and it'll keep ticking and you regularly hear of people having Rolexs(and aforementioned Seikos) for twenty plus years without the sniff of a service and still running like trains.

Rolex tended to be consistent across movements too. You don't get basic movements, medium level movements and heavily ornamental movements like many brands do, or certainly did in the past. Of the other brands Longines would be similar, if not even more consistent. From the cheapest to the top of the ranges in their history the movements looked very similar. Personally I like that aspect, that it's all about the engineering and what makes for a better movement, rather than what makes for a fancier looking one. If they are pretty to look at it comes from the engineering, not the other way around.

Funny enough one of Rolex's more "ornamental" movements was the OysterQuartz. Very nicely finished, Geneva stripes and all. Very innovative too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

After googling that, I'd wear it backwards :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Generally speaking Rolex movements have never been particularly "pretty" to look at and again generally they applied an engineering bias more than an ornamental one.

Funny enough one of Rolex's more "ornamental" movements was the OysterQuartz. Very nicely finished, Geneva stripes and all. Very innovative too.

Absolutely they are known for being robust movements and not particularly "lookers" but the modern Prince is an exception. Chronometer manual movement and the only Rolex with an exhibition back (at least that I know of). Nice review from Tim Mosso here

One of the nicest watches I've ever held in my paws was a 1930's Rolex Prince. Absolute stunner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A few of the more interesting watch bums from my collection.

5-D5-B79-B6-21-DC-4-BA1-A9-E2-F98-B1-CE71-D37.jpg

Advertisement