Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watch arses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here is the other side of the coin. A totally pointless display back. This Seiko 5 has one on the new models. The movement looks alright but is mostly not ornamental, and not really worth displaying. The thickness of the back and glass add to an already thick watch. Yeah you look at it once when it comes out of the box, go oh thats nice and then never look at it again. Totally unnecessary on a watch at this point and the cost would be better spent on solid end-links on the bracket.
    Couldn't disagree more. Who cares if it's not ornamental? And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.
    One of the many annoying things about rolex is their lack of display caseback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Cienciano wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. Who cares if it's not ornamental? One of the nicest here imho is the junghans funkyouup posted above.

And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.

Unless it's a Rolex Prince, they have an exhibition back and a beautiful movement behind it.

Zenith have some fantastic rear ends, especially the El Primeros. Don't think I've seen one in this forum yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

One of the nicest here imho is the junghans funkyouup posted above.

I would have to disagree with you there.
    And when someone asks you about your watch and you tell them it's automatic you get a "what's that?". You can take it off and show them.

I god no, I am not that guy. THe one who tries to bore to death educate people who dont know what an automatic is when asedk out of politeness. Nobody ever seems to care about my watches except me.

Wibbs....Wibbs, are you there. I am trying to be good, I really am..

eljono wrote: »
    Zenith have some fantastic rear ends, especially the El Primeros. Don't think I've seen one in this forum yet?
    Yeah, they have. Was looking at a few in the airport recently. One of those brands where I'd be happy with pretty much anything from their entire collection

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unless it's a Rolex Prince, they have an exhibition back and a beautiful movement behind it.
    Generally speaking Rolex movements have never been particularly "pretty" to look at and again generally they applied an engineering bias more than an ornamental one.

rolex-3135-movement.jpg

It's not tarted up, it's kinda "basic" looking, but it's like that for solid horological reasons. Mid range Seiko movements are similar. Solid. You can bate a Rolex movement like that off a wall and it'll keep ticking and you regularly hear of people having Rolexs(and aforementioned Seikos) for twenty plus years without the sniff of a service and still running like trains.

Rolex tended to be consistent across movements too. You don't get basic movements, medium level movements and heavily ornamental movements like many brands do, or certainly did in the past. Of the other brands Longines would be similar, if not even more consistent. From the cheapest to the top of the ranges in their history the movements looked very similar. Personally I like that aspect, that it's all about the engineering and what makes for a better movement, rather than what makes for a fancier looking one. If they are pretty to look at it comes from the engineering, not the other way around.

Funny enough one of Rolex's more "ornamental" movements was the OysterQuartz. Very nicely finished, Geneva stripes and all. Very innovative too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

After googling that, I'd wear it backwards :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Generally speaking Rolex movements have never been particularly "pretty" to look at and again generally they applied an engineering bias more than an ornamental one.

Funny enough one of Rolex's more "ornamental" movements was the OysterQuartz. Very nicely finished, Geneva stripes and all. Very innovative too.

Absolutely they are known for being robust movements and not particularly "lookers" but the modern Prince is an exception. Chronometer manual movement and the only Rolex with an exhibition back (at least that I know of). Nice review from Tim Mosso here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One of the nicest watches I've ever held in my paws was a 1930's Rolex Prince. Absolute stunner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A few of the more interesting watch bums from my collection.

5-D5-B79-B6-21-DC-4-BA1-A9-E2-F98-B1-CE71-D37.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Slightly complicated arse on this.
    Very comfortable all the same.

Edit: and it's absolutely filthy!

49882594386_ecb9b54f54_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A few of the more interesting watch bums from my collection.

Dammit man, name them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Lurching wrote: »
    Slightly complicated arse on this.
    Very comfortable all the same.

49882594386_ecb9b54f54_z.jpg

DTgOzI1WsAE9BL0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Dammit man, name them! :)

Top is a William L. It was the 20th watch he ever produced.
    Then middle row is a Christopher Ward VC3 Morgan, a no name Chinese pilots watch and a Seagull 63.
    Bottom is an omega speedmaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Top is a William L. It was the 20th watch he ever produced.
    Then middle row is a Christopher Ward VC3 Morgan, a no name Chinese pilots watch and a Seagull 63.
    Bottom is an omega speedmaster!

Thought I recognised a Sea Gull movement in there.

The William L one sound interesting, not heard of them before.

The Speedie is unmistakable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Dougal

I think of that episode regularly when wearing it.
    In 10 odd years of ownership, I've managed to control myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

My year old Seamaster:

0442qCS.jpg

My other watches have rather plain Sellita movements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Sold this one a while back,

SAS Air first edition.

F9mpk8eh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

G2Bbd9H.jpg

A plain enough case back, but the watch is one of my favourites, mainly due to how solid it is: Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Type B

Swapping out a strap today on the Globemaster and had to take a pic, love the finish on this movement.

26-May-2020-172343-IST-01-01.png
    temporary image upload

P.S. serial number pixelated out in case you're wondering why it's blurred in parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Stowa arse!

A lot of watch! Beautiful movement for the £££.

DD8185-E7-6-B5-D-4-DB7-ABEF-BE3-BE5587-D08.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

514872.jpg
    My oldest watch, a 1959 Longines Conquest. The green enamel on the back is showing it's age, still a beauty though and a great timekeeper.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Nothing too exciting, but I like this seiko brightz back.

PcF31KG.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Diver's ass. But what is interesting is that it has a fairly low serial number (just 2 digits blotted out), and being a special edition means they're only being made for a year. This is from Sept 19 so the year is almost up, but you never know with Seiko.

Seiko King Turtle btw.

522806.jpg

Fg might have been right about buying a few Seiko divers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Vostok Amphibia 170548 (Pamphibia)

540870.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

20210125-105324.jpg

Nomos Tangente. A beautiful movement for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Snap!

Same movement in an Orion

540876.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Pair of beauts! Is that the 35 dakar? How does it wear? Leaning towards a tangente 35 for the next incoming but apprehensive about the sizing on a 6.75”

david wrote: »
    Pair of beauts! Is that the 35 dakar? How does it wear? Leaning towards a tangente 35 for the next incoming but apprehensive about the sizing on a 6.75”

It’s the 38 date. Sits well on my 7.5” wrist.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watchfinder-377?o=9&cf=9&f=146%7C151#/en/orion/orion-38-date-380

dakar wrote: »

Would like to see some more pics. Really like this except for the gold accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

20210125-132310.jpg

If you excuse the quick crap pic, this is a 38 on my just under 7 inch wrist. I was struggling between picking the 35.5 and 38. The reason for the pic is just to show the unusual lugs that really protrude. It kind of makes the watch wear a bit bigger as a result. This leads me to believe that the 35.5 wouldn't be as small as it sounds buy I still think for a 6 and three quarter wrist, the 38 is the better option.

893bet wrote: »
    Would like to see some more pics. Really like this except for the gold accents.

I have some more on the phone I think. I’ll throw them up on the watchmen thread to leave the lovely arses thread on topic ;)

redlead wrote: »

If you excuse the quick crap pic, this is a 38 on my just under 7 inch wrist. I was struggling between picking the 35.5 and 38. The reason for the pic is just to show the unusual lugs that really protrude. It kind of makes the watch wear a bit bigger as a result. This leads me to believe that the 35.5 wouldn't be as small as it sounds buy I still think for a 6 and three quarter wrist, the 38 is the better option.

Interesting take on it! Do the lugs overhang/sit flush on your wrist, would you mind posting a side profile view on the pics thread if not too much hassle? Really conflicting anecdotal experiences online.

Tried on my better half's DW/tangente ripoff today - it's 35*42mm with 18mm lugs, feels like a 20c coin on my wrist after taking off the Sinn.

Sorry Wibbs, back on topic now...

what_characteristics_and_behavior_do_these_different_breeds_have_188_5_600.jpg

redlead wrote: »
    20210125-132310.jpg

Mmmm very nice.

I am eyeing the same model in midnight blue a little lately.

That 38 (or is it 37.5 even I think) is perfect on your wrist.

893bet wrote: »
    Mmmm very nice.

I am eyeing the same model in midnight blue a little lately.

That 38 (or is it 37.5 even I think) is perfect on your wrist.

Do it - I'd imagine it sits similar to your Antea 390? I think I've finally arrived at the realization that the 38's lug to lug (bigger than my Sinn 104) is too much to sit flat on my wrist. I'd be buying the blue in a heartbeat otherwise.

Given dark dials look smaller, not sure I could pull off the 35 blue.

Well that's that decision made for me, never thought I'd be looking to buy a silver dial 35mm - where's my bank card now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A fine arse on this one IMO ;)

00000-IMG-00000-BURST20210201123448978-COVER-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For IWC shouldn't it be a Messerschmitt? :P

Thirdfox wrote: »

I'd actually far, far, far prefer a Messerschmitt!!!! :P

banie01 wrote: »

Stukas for the fear effect...or an IL2 Sturmovik if we're opening the field to all WWII planes :D would be my choice :)

Wibbs might know - what did the soviet pilots use for "fliegers"?

• Advertisement

Stukas for the fear effect...or an IL2 Sturmovik if we're opening the field to all WWII planes :D would be my choice :)

I am now off to load up IL2 and play a campaign or 2 ;)
    I haven't played a flight sim in years!

Like all Swiss oufits they were happy to play both sides(until the German hard cash ran out), with the notable exception of Rolex.
    :D I wouldn't. Feckin flight safety hazard with wings. :eek:
    Good question T. Before the war the US Hampden had sold their machinery to the Soviets and had sent over American watchmakers to set up the factory which IIRC became the Kirov factory. Just after the war the Soviets captured the Hanhart facility and shipped a load of unfinished movements and machinery back to the motherland, mostly chronographs and then started internal production.

Picture001.jpg

During the war I have no idea TBH and never found a satisfactory answer. They did import a load of US watches, Gruen, Hamilton etc as part of the lend lease deals. No doubt some of them ended up on pilot's wrists.

:D I wouldn't. Feckin flight safety hazard with wings. :eek:

Absolute bastard on the ground.
    But a late F series with the clean wing and the Galland hood would be my high altitude fighter of choice.

The argument is always made that some Germans racked up ridiculous scores in the east flying against poor opponents.
    IMO, it doesn't hold true after 1943, the Russians cottoned on quickly to their strengths and stayed below 5000mtrs for a reason.

Even in the west though, against the best of the western pilots and planes the 109 did sterling service.
    Yes other fighters were better, especially late war but German Experten still scored heavily in the 109 in all theatres it flew.

Now that said, if I had to fight in a WW2 fighter and couldn't have altitude?

It'd be the Goodyear version of the Corsair with all the naval equipment stripped out and lightened as possible, or if I could lay hands on a Grumman F8!

But for sheer destructive effectiveness?
    I'd take a 109F with the clean wing.

FW190 myself. Harmonised controls, easy to build transport and repair, more forgiving of damage and rookie and average pilots*. IMHO the best all rounder piston fighter(with a sideorder of bomber) in the war. Not nearly as scalable as the Spit mind you. For the experts the ME262. :D I remember reading the memoirs of a French ace who said by the end of the war the Germans had either complete newbies, or complete experts, If you engaged a group, most would leg it, but if one stuck around and engaged, start praying.

*a rellie who flew a few British types in the war reckoned one big reason(other than propaganda) the Spit was so liked and so good was it was very forgiving at the limit, especially for rookies. The stall was the most gentle of any piston fighter of the time(the Mustang was a right wagon) and it gave plenty of warning before you stalled in a turn. The 109 in the hands of an expert yeah, but push it too hard the leading edge slats would deploy, inevitably asymmetrically and you'd spin out. He reckoned it was less that it could turn better, but more that you could push her harder than an average German pilot would dare. Though he did say the rudder pedals were more for show...

FW190 myself. Harmonised controls, easy to build transport and repair, more forgiving of damage and rookie and average pilots*. IMHO the best all rounder piston fighter(with a sideorder of bomber) in the war. Not nearly as scalable as the Spit mind you. For the experts the ME262. :D I remember reading the memoirs of a French ace who said by the end of the war the Germans had either complete newbies, or complete experts, If you engaged a group, most would leg it, but if one stuck around and engaged, start praying.

*a rellie who flew a few British types in the war reckoned one big reason(other than propaganda) the Spit was so liked and so good was it was very forgiving at the limit, especially for rookies. The stall was the most gentle of any piston fighter of the time(the Mustang was a right wagon) and it gave plenty of warning before you stalled in a turn. The 109 in the hands of an expert yeah, but push it too hard the leading edge slats would deploy, inevitably asymmetrically and you'd spin out. He reckoned it was less that it could turn better, but more that you could push her harder than an average German pilot would dare. Though he did say the rudder pedals were more for show...

I would in my earlier years have always gone for FW ;)
    Very well thought out weapons system, even the trimming and auto engine controls were a precursor to HOTAS.

Its just a bit too common now tho :P I'm trying to be hipsterish with my choices :pac:

The Spit AFAIK had a gentle wing drop pre stall, with plenty of onset buffet to warn you it was coming. The 109, well you hoped you were high enough to recover because it would flip out on a whim.

Some other choices that spring to mind for me would be the Fiat G55 or the Yak-9.

And if you could pick and mix equipment, I'd be sticking the mk2 gyro gunsight on whatever I was flying.

I actually have a book with some really lovely interviews with pilots of the great planes, "in the cockpit" I must get around to digitizing at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Is the Kirova one of yours, Wibbs? If so very very jealous!!

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    Is the Kirova one of yours, Wibbs? If so very very jealous!!
    Very sadly not D. I did have a German one button Hanhart for a short time in the mid 90's, sold it to buy two other watches(and car parts :D). I remember it was a choice to either find a watchmaker to fix it(the chrono part wasn't working correctly) or sell it on. Hard to find a watchmaker back then so selling it on was the better bet. Plus TBH it actually felt quite flimsy, even "cheap".

I am now off to load up IL2 and play a campaign or 2 ;)
    I haven't played a flight sim in years!

I have DCS but hadn't played it in years and it's more jet orientated anyway.
    So I took a trip over to Steam, and picked up lL2:1946 with a load of add one for the grand total of €9.99!

I think my college output may take a hit this semester ;)

Screenshot-2021-02-01-23-15-49-006-com-android-chrome.jpg

iwU5org.jpg

A glimpse or the rear of a Citizen Promaster 7828-H21963TA/PMU56-2375 "Yellowstone National Park". Seems to be a strange collaboration, but at least the rear is something a little bit different...

Interesting back - so is the movement inserted from the front then?

Interesting back - so is the movement inserted from the front then?

It is...It's a monocoque design and access can be gained through the front bezel. Not particularly easy, but that was never meant to be an issue because they were never really meant to be opened up.

I believe they were originally marketed by Citizen in the late 90's with a tagline that went something like "the battery will never need replacing".

Which was great...until people threw them in cupboards and desks, and the battery lost their charge after a few months and then solar charging wouldnt revive them...at which stage people returned them for service to Citizen, who very helpfully said, yea that's out of production, we're out of parts, so good luck...

• Advertisement
Advertisement