Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water heating with radiators

Options
  • 21-01-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

Apologies in advance for the very basic questions. My heat bills are coming in a bit high at the moment. I'm noticing that any time I turn the heat on, the water from the tap gets hot. I don't need hot water, so it just cools down and reheats again next time I put the heating on.

I got the house replumbed a while a while ago, with a new insulated immersion tank. I have a cold water tank in the attic, that runs to the electric shower in the bathroom.

Is it likely there is a switch to turn off filling the immersion tank with hot water? Or is it more likely the case I will need to get a plumber in if I was to specifically add a hot water zone?

thanks v much...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You heating is heating the water tank at a very minimal cost in an efficient tank.

Id suggest its winter and the temperature is low so you will obviously use it more. have you considered its winter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

oh yea, its definitely higher because of the winter, no doubt

I was just curious if there was a switch that people usually turn off to not be filling up the immersion tank, maybe this is not the case.

It is an insulated tank, so I would imagine it is efficient.

thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

oh yea, its definitely higher because of the winter, no doubt

I was just curious if there was a switch that people usually turn off to not be filling up the immersion tank, maybe this is not the case.

It is an insulated tank, so I would imagine it is efficient.

thanks for the reply
    Post 2 or 3 pics to show the whole hot-press.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depending on how it’s plumed what your asking is possible. But you really should give the plumber a quick ring and ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

thanks for the replies. I will post some pics when I get home.
    As mentioned above, best to get in touch with plumber, just wanted to get an idea first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Heat that goes to the hot water cylinder and is lost (because you don't use the HW) isn't really wasted. It functions as a small radiator and helps heat the living area (though in quite a small way, because it is insulated and so loses heat so slowly). It is unlikely that your well insulated tank is really costing you much.

Advertisement