Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LL not providing bin for building

Options
  • 17-01-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

It's been an on and off situation, but my LL owns the whole building, and sometimes there's a bin and sometimes there's not. He doesn't reply to any contact about the bin.

Is there any tenants rights in this situation?

Also are residential bin tags still available in Dublin? I don't really want to sign up to an annual service, but I seem to only be able to find commercial bin tags online?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Why would you expect landlord to provide a bin unless it is something that was set out in the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

A LL must provide access to a bin, as in a place to store refuse.

They don't have to provide a refuse collection service, unless as Baby above says, it's clearly stated that they do in the terms of the rental agreement.

Sometimes with apartments it is included, but not always. Almost never with a stand alone property like a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How large is the complex?

Is there anything in the planning permission for it saying that communal bins must be provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Sometimes theres a bin and sometimes not

Where does the bin go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It's been an on and off situation, but my LL owns the whole building, and sometimes there's a bin and sometimes there's not. He doesn't reply to any contact about the bin.

Also are residential bin tags still available in Dublin? I don't really want to sign up to an annual service, but I seem to only be able to find commercial bin tags online?

Thanks!

Contact the refuse service provider they are responsible. Unless the lease says bin services are provided and paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

A LL must provide access to a bin, as in a place to store refuse.

They don't have to provide a refuse collection service, unless as Baby above says, it's clearly stated that they do in the terms of the rental agreement.

Sometimes with apartments it is included, but not always. Almost never with a stand alone property like a house.

Where does it state this?

Normally tenants in townhouses leave the bins in front of their houses. Anyone can do this and it provides access to bins

Fol20 wrote: »
    Where does it state this?

Normally tenants in townhouses leave the bins in front of their houses. Anyone can do this and it provides access to bins

Minimum rental standards legislation, '08 I think.

Link

The landlord must provide:
    • A water closet with a dedicated wash hand basin with hot and cold water
    • A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    • A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    • Where necessary, suitably located devices for the detection and alarm of carbon monoxide
    • Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food including, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    • Access to a washing machine
    • Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    • A smoke alarm and fire blanket
    • Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Link

• A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    • A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    • Where necessary, suitably located devices for the detection and alarm of carbon monoxide
    • Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food including, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    • Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard

So is providing a bin outside your house sufficient. To me it is. I dont know how exactly you make a bin area vermin proof

Fol20 wrote: »
    So is providing a bin outside your house sufficient. To me it is. I dont know how exactly you make a bin area vermin proof

I would suggest that a standard domestic bin that has a lid would do. It doesn't have to be outside. A typical swing bin, that most people would have in their kitchen should meet the criteria.

As for vermin/ pest proof. Well a determined and hungry enough rat will chew through plastic I know, but I don't think the legislators were thinking of a steel reinforced concrete box:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Link

I always assumed that just meant bins inside the property.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the Statutory Instrument: HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2017
    Refuse Facilities
    11. The house shall have access to suitable and adequate pest and vermin
    proof refuse storage facilities

I'd argue a typical kitchen bin would fail to be 'adequate' but there's no specific definition for adequate that I can find so I guess it is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Graham wrote: »
    From the Statutory Instrument: HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2017

I'd argue a typical kitchen bin would fail to be 'adequate' but there's no specific definition for adequate that I can find so I guess it is open to interpretation.

Would a stainless steel type bin with a lid like this meet the regulations:
    https://www.woodies.ie/chic-bin-large-steel-bin-1116844

I have no connection to Woodies..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My definition of adequate would be; sufficient to store the amount of refuse the specified number of occupants would reasonably be expected to generate for the length of time between refuse collections.

I don't think a kitchen bin would cut it given most households have a fortnightly collection of a standard sized wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

but my LL owns the whole building, and sometimes there's a bin and sometimes there's not.!

Maybe I missed this, but where is the bin that was there, when it isn’t there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The landlord has to supply you with somewhere to securely store your refuse. It can be a coal bunker, a garden shed, somewhere for you to push your bin- whatever.

You have the right to somewhere to securely store your bin, period.

Thanks!

I'm not aware that anyone sells tags anymore- esp. with the advent of the polluter pays principle, which in the context of bin collections normally is a pay per lift or a pay per weight basis.

You seem to have some idea that the landlord is supposed to be giving you a bin- nope- he/she isn't- they do however have to give you somewhere to securely store your bin- which is entirely different.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed this, but where is the bin that was there, when it isn’t there?

Perhaps it belongs to another of the tenants- and they bring it in- to stop other people from freeloading using their bin?

Perhaps it belongs to another of the tenants- and they bring it in- to stop other people from freeloading using their bin?

They bring a wheelie bin into their apartment?

Dav010 wrote: »
    They bring a wheelie bin into their apartment?

I've had the misfortune to live next door to someone who habitually did just this. The stench was appalling- apparently they were just used to it........... :(

I've had the misfortune to live next door to someone who habitually did just this. The stench was appalling- apparently they were just used to it........... :(

Their relatives aren’t on holiday in New Zealand at the moment by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

The landlord has to supply you with somewhere to securely store your refuse. It can be a coal bunker, a garden shed, somewhere for you to push your bin- whatever.

You have the right to somewhere to securely store your bin, period.

I'm not aware that anyone sells tags anymore- esp. with the advent of the polluter pays principle, which in the context of bin collections normally is a pay per lift or a pay per weight basis.

You seem to have some idea that the landlord is supposed to be giving you a bin- nope- he/she isn't- they do however have to give you somewhere to securely store your bin- which is entirely different.

There used to be a bin for the building provided by the LL, but I think there was an issue with payment and it was taken away. There's no bin for the building now. I've no idea what the other residents are doing for refuse. I don't really produce enough myself to get a full wheelie bin for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 KneonK

Sorry had to do a bit of an edit there.

It's right there in regulation 11 of the Housing (Standards for rented houses) 2017.

A pedal bin in a kitchen is definitely not adequate. A wheeley bin or similar per flat in a property is the norm for a pre 63 (or a coal bunker or shed or similar). Modern complexes may have much larger refuse storage such as dumpsters (with lids) which may also be within a small shed or similar. In all cases this is vermin proof I.e the black sacks are protected.

There is always an unless though, such as no available space for bins etc , but in the end it will be up to the 'LL to prove that the refuse storage is up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Apologies as this is a bit off the title but does anyone have information about this situation please?

If the rented property is a house and the tenant has their own wheelie bin collection service does the regulation posted earlier mean that the landlord needs to provide somewhere to store the tenant's wheelie bin? :)

Advertisement