Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has your commute changed in the past 12 months?

Options
  • 17-01-2019 5:04pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the past few years (12 months especially) I've found myself to getting increasingly irritated and dread the rush hour commutes.

Just wondering, on average, how has peoples commute times changed in the past 12 months for example?

Personally speaking my commutes into CC has increased by about 15-20mins inbound, about the same outbound. The bus lights installed on the Chapelizod Bypass by Drumfinn being the saving grace there.

How has your commute changed in the past 12 months? 110 votes

No change
    68% 75 votes
    10-20m
    16% 18 votes
    20-30m
    9% 10 votes
    30m or more
    0% 1 vote
    Other
    5% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A few minutes slowdown in evening trains, inbound moved around so hard to compare but roughly the same as it was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some people might assume on first glance that the poll is asking how long your commute is, rather than how much it has changed by; they may read the thread title rather than the poll title.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

No negative option ? I got a faster bike...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mines not technically a commute but most mornings I'm heading off outside the city to a customer using the M50. I used to be able to be on the road by about 7:15 and be ok for traffic but these days I really need to be getting going before 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Trains have consistently been leaving later than advertised and going slower and slower every year, increasing journey times and customer service getting worse and worse as Irish Rail move further and further away from giving a sh*t about paying customer and move closer and closer towards being a closed shop for nepotism and hardline Trotskyist unionism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I picked up about 2 minutes on the way home as a result of getting fitter :) down to 18-20 mins home, 14 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Only saying today about how quiet the roads are in around town, it's much better than last winter so I'm not complaining. Feels like summer all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I use the N4 from the West a few days a week (luckily I don't have to drive all the way into the city centre) but the N4 itself has become quite bad.
    Even without any incidents there's usually one or two exits that are really slow in the mornings - definitely got worse in the last year or so.

Love when the schools are on holidays - major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Timewise it hasn't changed at all for actual journey time, a few minutes here or there on actual departure times. Train is much more packed, where I would normally get a seat I no longer do, I have noticed much more agression from other passengers, some of it warranted where people won't move down the carriage to make space, others just people thinking they are travelling on the Orient Express when they are actually just on the DART. I feel in the next 12 months the rail infrastucture is going to reach absolute peak, they need redisgned DART's for the future with more standing room and all with AC, I've seen people pass out and collapse because heat is up at 30 degrees plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

My Dart journey is consistently 5 minutes slower since they increased the frequency, and that's not counting the many, many trains that are later than scheduled. I used to be able to time my arrival at the station to meet a train but now the vast majority of trains are running 3-10 mins behind schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a different job, in an industrial estate.

So the commute has grown from a 5 minute walk to a 45-min walk-bus-walk. Does that count.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Also have a new job. What was a 6km cycle is now a 18km cycle or painful cross city bus trip. The bus can take up to two hours depending on traffic and transfers while the bike is about 50 minutes.

It’s gonna increase to 20km in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

For me, the N4 has gotten very bad. Most mornings it’s a car park after Kilcock. I’ve given up using it and go the back roads through Kilcock and Maynooth. The traffic is more predictable on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

69 (Hourly bus) leaves terminus at 8:45am in the morning and used to be at my stop by 9:05-9:10am. Regularly rocks up now at 9:25 or later (as it did this morning at 9:37am, with real time remaining stuck on 13 mins for about 20) so has gotten much worse. Xpresso bus will now pass full at least 2 out of 5 evenings as well. Resorted to getting the god awful 13 and walking 20 mins to the office now, as at least it is somewhat predictable, but still has gaps of 15/20 mins at peak times. Bus service in West Dublin is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No negative option ? I got a faster bike...:)

I swapped four for two and cycle. It is a lot quicker and I can cycle past queues of traffic that I'd be stuck in otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

reduced from an hour in the mornings on a bus to 15 minute drive

and eveening has reduceed from nearly 2 hours to 25 mins at most

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Irish rail have decided to change the timetables, to have the trains leaving earlier, but arriving at the same time. Except they're consistently running late. From Christmas they've also decided to change from one of the intercity trains where everyone fitted on comfortably to one of those commuter trains with less seats, and each seat is much smaller. It's now a struggle to get a decent place to stand, never mind get a seat. When I do get a seat, it's too small for an adult, resulting in back ache.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

The train (Maynooth line) is almost predictably 5-10 minutes late in the morning/evening since the new timetables were introduced. The frequency of various operational and congestion problems seems to have increased and Irish Rail's communication is as bad as ever. They seem to think 10 minutes late is nothing noteworthy and only really try to communicate when there is a major issue.

The addition of extra trains at off-peak has been very welcome, however the fact they terminate or start in Connolly means anywhere up to an extra 10 minutes travel time if you are going to/from Tara or Pearse. It is pot luck whether a connecting Dart lines up with the commuter service and I feel like I'm spending a lot of wasted time hanging around Connolly station.

I'm worried the new Pelletstown station is going to even further increase the commute time.

My general impression is a service that is creaking at the seems, with no real scope for improvement in the short-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

65/70 minute drive from Meath to D3 has now become a 10 minute drive to Drogheda :pac:

Much better quality of life now, home for lunch if I want etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

McGaggs wrote: »
    Irish rail have decided to change the timetables, to have the trains leaving earlier, but arriving at the same time. Except they're consistently running late. From Christmas they've also decided to change from one of the intercity trains where everyone fitted on comfortably to one of those commuter trains with less seats, and each seat is much smaller. It's now a struggle to get a decent place to stand, never mind get a seat. When I do get a seat, it's too small for an adult, resulting in back ache.

Absurd!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Gone from a 10km cycle to a 3km cycle. I missed the longer ride TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Commuting from Kildare and the trains have gotten busier as more people move out of Dublin, the car parks in the morning get busier earlier and earlier and then the trains are overloaded in the evenings.

How are we going to cope with more and more people moving out of Dublin due to high rents thus needing to commute and more people moving into the country for jobs created solely in Dublin? It's already under serious pressure and I can't see it getting any better anytime soon. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My commute has always been opposing the direction of rush hour traffic, even though I've done several different commutes over the last year.

A year ago I was going from clondalkin to Fairview to leixlip each morning, and reverse in the evening.

Since Sept, I'm just going from clondalkin to leixlip (thank goodness I got the kid into a local school).

I don't think there's be much difference time wise in the first commute referenced above, other than seasonal variances. My current commute is absolute hell if I was to use public transport though. Had to back in Novemeber for the whole month and it destroyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

My commute time was getting longer and longer, 1hr 15mins at one stage and when they reduced the morning frequency of the 17a it was the final straw so I bought a bike. Now it's 40mins door to door. Do feel a little scared at times, but the extra time at home in the morning and evenings is totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

M3 getting worse, I put 10-20 mins as it was average 35 mins and is now above 45 most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

Used to be an off peak commuter and could get door to door in forty minutes followed by a taxi home after work. Now I'm one of the 9-5 club and it can take a little bit longer in the mornings which isn't unreasonable in my view (heavier traffic, busier loadings).

Heading home in the evening is a nightmare though. Bus route is unreliable so it could be north of an hour. Generally I take what will be the Bus Connects option, any bus serving the Malahide Road and then either another bus or walk if the wait will be too long. Doesn't bode well for Bus Connects imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Got a job down the road and either run commute or get a lift.

Last job was a treacherous 17km cycle.

Now usually 10 minute walk and 5 minute in a car.

Feel sorry for anyone commuting about Dublin. It’s an utter shambles and nobody seems to be accountable.

Gangster politicians still walk away with their gold plated pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mistook the poll.. damn!

Anyway, my commute is roughly an hour each way in the car - most of it motorway driving, but I expect that to reduce in a few months.

I occasionally have to go in to Dublin city centre to our office there and it takes me as long to get from the house to the M50 (about 45-50 mins) as it does for me to get from there to the office. No point in taking the LUAS from the Red Cow either as it's just as long and would add a walk (and more cost) to an already long day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

5 minutes longer in each direction since the Dart timetable change. Back when I was a student I could get a train from Connolly and be in Greystones 40 minutes later - it now takes 55. Progress eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Bus on way into Dublin city centre was affected by the new tram lines (slightly over the 12 months at this point??).
    That was increasing the for me by 10-15 min or so, so started to get off the bus several stops further back instead and walk in. That saved a few minutes.

Advertisement