Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Spotters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

hpim0044r.th.jpgp6220230.th.jpgp6220227.th.jpgp6220226.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Anyone know what the best bus to get from th City Centre is? Hoping to go spotting sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jammyc wrote: »
    Anyone know what the best bus to get from th City Centre is? Hoping to go spotting sometime soon.

I'm hazarding a guess here but maybe the Airlink would do the trick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Word of warning! I tried getting the Blue car park bus three times recently and every time, different staff too, they asked for receipt to travel on the bus. Just saying. I ended up walking from the ALSAA out to the threshold of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Jammyc wrote: »

Dublin bus would be cheaper than airlink or aircoach

16a Dublin Airport to Lower Rathfarnham (Nutgrove Avenue)
    41 Lower Abbey Street to Swords Manor
    46x Dún Laoghaire to Dublin Airport
    102 Sutton Station to Dublin Airport
    746 Dublin Airport to Dún Laoghaire
    747 Central Bus Station to Dublin Airport
    748 Heuston Station to Dublin Airport

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

according to www.casper.frontier.nl the Arkia Israel Airlines 757-300 landed in dublin tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leandromstt

Hi, my name is Leandro and that's my first post here.

Sunday I'll arrive at DUB, to live in Ireland. :)

I love airplanes/simulations/photography and I hope one day meet somebody here spotting at DUB.

I don't have a good camera but it can take pictures hahah.. :(

Best regard,
    Leandro Mengarda Schmitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I love airplanes/simulations/photography and I hope one day meet somebody here spotting at DUB.

Best regard,
    Leandro Mengarda Schmitt

Seja bem vindo Leandro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Best regard,
    Leandro Mengarda Schmitt

I hope your not expecting the same weather over here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leandromstt

Now at DUB...
    Su Campu wrote: »
    Seja bem vindo Leandro :)

Obrigado.
    westdub wrote: »
    I hope your not expecting the same weather over here :)

Oh no... I like the weather over here, gray sky and rain.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

spent the weekend in windsor, which is directly on the flight path to heathrow. all i can say is WOW! so so impressive to see heathrow in full action, planes landing virtually every minute there. no matter how many times i see the BA 747's, i will never cease to be amazed at their magnificence. also saw many A380's for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Again, to be cheeky, if 10 is in use you could try getting the bus to the long-term (Blue) off-airport parking about half-way along 10/28.

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-maps/car-parking.html

Not sure if they'd ask to see a parking receipt before taking you but I'd say that's unlikely.

You could try getting the bus that goes past Charlestown shopping center in Finglas (don't know the number). If you know the big Easons/DHL depot past Dubber Cross, there is a bus stop there and it's only a short walk to the runway 10 approach.
    Alternatively if runway 16 is active there are some great shots to be had because the arrivals pass right over the road right beside the threshold. To get there follow the road to Swords past the Coachman's Inn and take the first left at the little roundabout with the traffic lights (50 yards past the Coachman's). Follow that road along the airport boundary fence until you come to another roundabout, Take the first exit off the roundabout and then an immediate left onto the Boot Inn road towards the tower and you're there. Please park sensibly and not on the corner like some idiots.
    Regards,
    BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Just to note Dublin south is now on 120.05, changed from 124.65

Dublin South frequency is 126.250 MHz.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

spent the weekend in windsor, which is directly on the flight path to heathrow. all i can say is WOW! so so impressive to see heathrow in full action, planes landing virtually every minute there.......
    As a query what sort of height were they at? Just wondering if photos were an option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

spent the weekend in windsor, which is directly on the flight path to heathrow. all i can say is WOW! so so impressive to see heathrow in full action, planes landing virtually every minute there. no matter how many times i see the BA 747's, i will never cease to be amazed at their magnificence. also saw many A380's for the first time.

It is amazing, you should get down to Myrtle Avenue for 27L Landings, i was there and it never ceased to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Tenger wrote: »
    As a query what sort of height were they at? Just wondering if photos were an option....

i would say at 2-3,000 feet mark for the planes landing, planes are about 2 minutes from landing/take off at windsor, so would that be a good estimate?

planes taking off would have been at different heights, some lower than others, depending on the type of plane.

photos would have defo been an option as the view was amazing and the planes relatively low, but i didnt have a good camera with me.

they also switched the runways several times, at one stage for a few minutes, it looked like both runways were operating for landings as 2 planes (looked like an a380 and a330 pretty) much landed side by side. took a pic, but the quality is crap, so cant make out much. but it was class to see at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elcummino

Hi
    I'm researching for a documentary piece on plane spotters and how people developed their interest in watching planes. I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories on how you got involved, what does your family make of your hobby? Is their father/ son teams who share the same interest?, etc
    If anyone's interest in maybe speaking, do let us know
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

elcummino wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm researching for a documentary piece on plane spotters and how people developed their interest in watching planes. I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories on how you got involved, what does your family make of your hobby? Is their father/ son teams who share the same interest?, etc
    If anyone's interest in maybe speaking, do let us know
    Steve

First rule of plane spotting, you don't talk about plane spotting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blackrhyme

Just a question, what plane has 4 jet engines that could take of from Dublin in the middle of the day? I live in south dublin ( tallaght) and every day I see many planes usually those that has taken off sometimes those on the approach, depend on the wind dircetion. Last week I saw one that had 4 (jet) engines. I would estimate the altitude around 2700 to 3300feet as dublin mountains reach nearly 1600 feet.

blackrhyme wrote: »
    Just a question, what plane has 4 jet engines that could take of from Dublin in the middle of the day? I live in south dublin ( tallaght) and every day I see many planes usually those that has taken off sometimes those on the approach, depend on the wind dircetion. Last week I saw one that had 4 (jet) engines. I would estimate the altitude around 2700 to 3300feet as dublin mountains reach nearly 1600 feet.

The only scheduled flights (I think!) from Dublin that use 4 engined jets are CityJet with their AVRO RJ85's.
    http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1035839/L/Avro-RJ-85-Avroliner/EI-RJZ/Cityjet-WX--BCY/

Quite distinctive with a high wing and tailplane with the engines slung under the wing.

• Advertisement

saw this one while being on Howth 3 weeks ago, but probably it was the same that was flying over Tallaght. Thank U for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Im sorry but why would the time of day have anything to do with your question, EIDW is a 24/7 Operation. 4 Engine Aircraft come in at all times as others here have mentioned most likely a City Jet 146/RJ or a Jumbo Jet but as you didnt give a mention to a Jumbo jet im going to say it was probably a 146/RJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

Steyr wrote: »
    Im sorry but why would the time of day have anything to do with your question, EIDW is a 24/7 Operation. 4 Engine Aircraft come in at all times as others here have mentioned most likely a City Jet 146/RJ or a Jumbo Jet but as you didnt give a mention to a Jumbo jet im going to say it was probably a 146/RJ

he meant that he saw it during the day

I meant that it was during a day, and correct me if I'm wrong but there is not so many cargo flights during the day, so I was suggesting that it was a passenger plane.

I meant that it was during a day, and correct me if I'm wrong but there is not so many cargo flights during the day, so I was suggesting that it was a passenger plane.

Spot on Bosco! though TNT use the Avro RJ85 as well (some daylight flights), and the only other 4 engined jet cargo plane (on a regular basis) would be Air France 747 on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Hey guys sorry to be asking questions. but I was in EIDW back in January at about 5-6am. It was pitch dark outside and just as I walked into the breakfast place to get a gawk out the window, I saw I plane just turning onto runway 27. I couldn't make out what airline or aircraft it was because of the dark and poor lighting. Anyways it took off like a rocket. It used barely any runway length, it could of been a STOL plane? It was jet engined (thats what I figured from the sound) and about the size of a 737-200. The tail was poorly lit but it looked a bit orangey/yellow.
    Anyone think they could help me figure out what type of plane this was? Sorry for being so vague it was a good while ago and my memory doesn't always serve me so well. :)

I asked my friend who knows a lot more than I do. And he just told me it possibly could been a 737 just with a very light load.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry to be asking questions. but I was in EIDW back in January at about 5-6am. It was pitch dark outside and just as I walked into the breakfast place to get a gawk out the window, I saw I plane just turning onto runway 27. I couldn't make out what airline or aircraft it was because of the dark and poor lighting. Anyways it took off like a rocket. It used barely any runway length, it could of been a STOL plane? It was jet engined (thats what I figured from the sound) and about the size of a 737-200. The tail was poorly lit but it looked a bit orangey/yellow.
    Anyone think they could help me figure out what type of plane this was? Sorry for being so vague it was a good while ago and my memory doesn't always serve me so well. :)

I asked my friend who knows a lot more than I do. And he just told me it possibly could been a 737 just with a very light load.

Orangey/yellow tail at that hour? possibly a DHL 757?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Orangey/yellow tail at that hour? possibly a DHL 757?

Hmm yes. But would a 757 be able to take of with such small runway length and accelerate with such speed as I saw?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Hmm yes. But would a 757 be able to take of with such small runway length and accelerate with such speed as I saw?

757's have a very good climb rate and seem to be able to pull a steeper angle than others. Just compare the two attached photos, the 757 would definitely seem to be climbing out at a steeper angle than the Airbus. Both photos were taken on the same date, same spot, same conditions.

http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1035235/M/Boeing-757-23A/G-LSAC/Jet2-Channel-Express-LS--EXS/
    http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1034616/M/Airbus-A320-214/CS-TNK/TAP---Air-Portugal-TP--TAP/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

757 can get up on very very very little runway,there are a few good vids on youtube

Advertisement