Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport metal detector (screws and plates)

Options
  • 22-01-2019 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hey boardsies, so I'm traveling soon first time through an airport, iv screws and metal plates in my legs,arms and mouth . Will this cause an issue should I get a gp letter before going just in case ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You shouldn't need a letter from your GP, I've travelled several times since I had a knee replacement without any issues. You will set off the metal detector, so be prepared for a more thorough than usual frisking after that (they're particularly thorough in Dublin airport) but it's fine. If you're going through an American airport mention it to them before you go through the detector because they may insist on you going through one of those full body scanners instead. This happened me last year, but again it was fine and there were no issues.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've a metal plate in my jaw and I've never set it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

It depends a lot on the nature (and perhaps quantity) of the metal that was put in you. My OH got a few plates and screws put in for a broken jaw last year and she was told that as they were titanium they wouldn't set off any detectors, so it may be the same for you, and this held true when she got on a flight within a couple of weeks of the crash that caused the injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MasieDaisy

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hey boardsies, so I'm traveling soon first time through an airport, iv screws and metal plates in my legs,arms and mouth . Will this cause an issue should I get a gp letter before going just in case ?

No. Hundreds of people travel through everyday with plates, hip/knee replacements and prosthetics. If you activate just explain to the officer what you have and they will search you by hand search and run a handheld metal detector over your body. Make sure you have no belt on and nothing in your pockets and you will be on your way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No I've a good bit of metal in my now at this stage and I've never set anything off. There was one time going through Carcassonne but I pointed at the scars and they did the hand held metal detector thing. I think that was more a glitch in their system than anything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement