Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I liked the 3-protagonist approach of GTAV. I thought it worked really well thematically, the characters were varied and anchored in different backgrounds in the city, and it worked well in terms of gameplay and switching so you could experience different parts of the mission.

But it would be hard to replicate that again, and would be a rehash. I would hope they go back to one protagonist and focus on one really well done story (a story more akin to RDR2 rather than overly-comical satire, but still befitting the general GTA tone) or do something new again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I too would prefer a single protagonist. Actually, I just want them to re-make Vice City. It's the only GTA where I really felt like I achieved something by the end of it.

I played Vice City for a bit on the PS4 and the controls put me off it. A shame as I would have liked to have known more of Mr. Vercetti. Radio was excellent though with cracking tunes being played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I played Vice City for a bit on the PS4 and the controls put me off it. A shame as I would have liked to have known more of Mr. Vercetti. Radio was excellent though with cracking tunes being played.

The controls? But they're the same in every game pretty much :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

nix wrote: »

They are not the same. I have it on the original Xbox and it is extremely difficult to play if you are used to modern games. Actually takes skill/learning curve to shoot people.

They are not the same. I have it on the original Xbox and it is extremely difficult to play if you are used to modern games. Actually takes skill/learning curve to shoot people.

You mean in that you actually have to aim, no auto lock on? Most shooters (even today) require you to aim, wouldnt call it difficult, never mind "extremely difficult" :eek::pac:

But yeah, it would be fairly dated, it is a ps2 game afterall..

You obviously haven't played it in a very long time trust me it is difficult with a learning curve. I also have San Andreas and that game is easy to play in comparison.

Modern games where you aim yourself are easy like RDR2 for example when in dead eye.

You obviously haven't played it in a very long time trust me it is difficult with a learning curve. I also have San Andreas and that game is easy to play in comparison.

Modern games where you aim yourself are easy like RDR2 for example when in dead eye.

Dead eye, is that the slow motion thing? I havent played RDR2 yet.

But eh yeah, i havent played since PS2..but i always recall there being an auto lock on button in all the GTA's in some shape or form :(

Cant see why they would change that in later ports :confused:

I'll take yer word for it though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No they're not. They're as clunky as frck in the old games. You've to fight through a layer of jank.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No they're not. They're as clunky as frck in the old games. You've to fight through a layer of jank.

Well yeah id assume the ps2 versions are mega clunky compared to ps3+ versions in terms of look and movement, but am i wrong to remember they all had a lock on aim button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Well yeah id assume the ps2 versions are mega clunky compared to ps3+ versions in terms of look and movement, but am i wrong to remember they all had a lock on aim button?

Pretty sure auto aim or lock on was introduced in GTA4.

• Advertisement

I think it did but it wasn't very good. I played it again about 2 years ago just from seeing comments here about how good it is where as I always remembered San Andreas as being the best so I said I will give it another go.

I still think San Andreas was better. Controls were terrible. One thing I find funny though is the RC helicopter missions people say were extremely difficult and I had no problems with those missions at all. I even see every so often on facebook gaming pages how difficult was this mission(referring to the RC helicopter missions)

Two years ago wasn't my first time playing it. I had played it previously and don't remember having any issue with controls. If you play games at the minute and decide to jump in on Vice City and expect to play at ease you are mistaking it will take a while before you adjust.

Pretty sure auto aim or lock on was introduced in GTA4.

It was deffo in San Andreas anyway as I only played that last week. I have it on PC so jump in to it every now and then.

I also have it on original Xbox but I would have to take that out of the press and then set up a different TV. Looks terrible on a large 4k TV. :pac:

Pretty sure auto lock on was in all the games, think it just needed to be enabled in the options if not defaulted.

I'm going by memory but im pretty certain there was auto locking aim in the first new age GTA, and vice city then had an option. I cant really remember san andreas, but im pretty sure it was possible in that also :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

It was deffo in San Andreas anyway as I only played that last week. I have it on PC so jump in to it every now and then.

I also have it on original Xbox but I would have to take that out of the press and then set up a different TV. Looks terrible on a large 4k TV. :pac:

Was it? I stand corrected then. I didn't think it was as I remember quitting the earlier games and thought it was due to a lack of target lock but am obviously misremembering that. I tried playing the xbox 360 re-release a couple of years back but the controls were so bad I gave up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

AGDQ started last night and will be streaming nonstop for the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AGDQ started last night and will be streaming nonstop for the next week.

Big meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rumours the last few days of a sequel to Alien: Isolation being announced and all that excitement has been doused in piss as it's revealed Alien: Blackout is a mobile game...

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/alien-blackout-is-a-survival-horror-mobile-game-starring-amanda-ripley-1203101143/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And the mobile curse strikes again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The mobile game announced, Blackout, is being developed by D3 Go! and Rival Games.

This appears to be a different title than what was announced early last year after the publisher, FoxNext, acquired a larger dev studio, Cold Iron Studios, to work on a shooter for PC and console.

So yea, maybe hold off on the old piss blasting for a bit. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played my first hour or two of Hades, and holy hell it's good. For an early access title it plays like a dream, and already one of the most captivating rogue-like games I've played.

Gotta hand it to Supergiant - I was never the biggest fan of Bastion beyond the presentation, but each game since has won me over completely. That they all feel and play like very different things despite sharing some basic traits is one of the most impressive things.

A good as opportunity as any to remind people to play Pyre if you haven't already - still think that boasts the richest, most consequential implementation of player choice in any game I've played.

Back in December, Ars Technica launched a Youtube series called War Stories which features interviews with a number of developers talking about some memorable experiences they had while working on some of their most noteworthy projects. I'm enjoying it so far so thought I'd share it here since I've not heard much buzz about it elsewhere.

Here's the latest episode featuring Glen Schofield, who served as Executive Producer on the original Dead Space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Playing Assassin's Creed Revelations at the moment. Ezio Auditore da Firenze is a favourite of mine.

Tempted by Ace combat 7 after all the positive reviews. Not played a good arcade flight simulator in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Tempted by Ace combat 7 after all the positive reviews. Not played a good arcade flight simulator in a long time.
    I'm on mission 11, it's good so far but one or two missions have kind of confusing objectives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I heard it was a bit ruff and you would be barking to play it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Skerries wrote: »
    I heard it was a bit ruff and you would be barking to play it ;)

Too soon... RIP Dog.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Logged into Steam today and a game called Thief Simulator was recommended to me. €20.

The name gives it away. Sandbox game where you burgle houses. Story isn't anything terribly earth-shattering but the gameplay is pretty interesting. A lot of detail gone into the burglary aspect. You need to learn different skills, pawn stuff you steal, buy better tools, escape the cops, "case the joint" (e.g. watch and learn people's routines), make a getaway, make sure you're not spotted by people doing suspicious stuff, etc.

Indifferent ways, it reminds me of GTA and Driver and Tenchu and Manhunt for the stealth aspects. Had quite an enjoyable time. The car handling is pretty crap but, thankfully, you don't need to drive too much. Gameplay and realism is very good. Defo recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Same here, a skeleton waves from an Afterburner cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Logged into Steam today and a game called Thief Simulator was recommended to me. €20.

Looked it up on youtube. Got a laugh from the black van being driven away along a sunny road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know on Steam, you can see the number of players playing a certain game but are you able to see how many people played a certain game during a certain time period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know on Steam, you can see the number of players playing a certain game but are you able to see how many people played a certain game during a certain time period?

Using https://steamspy.com you can check CCU hourly.

Ace Combat 7 finally released on PC last night and I got to play it and it's absolutely glorious.

Think I might prefer it over the Resi 2 remake.

Off to a good start and only just out of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Think I might prefer it over the Resi 2 remake

Say what now? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ace Combat 7 finally released on PC last night and I got to play it and it's absolutely glorious.

Oh cool, I might give this a blast myself.
    Where did you pick it up, if you don't me asking? :)

• Is ace combat on console?

Is ace combat on console?

It is indeed. PS4 and Xbox One.

• ZiabR wrote: »
    It is indeed. PS4 and Xbox One.

FML

Now I'm going to have to buy it

FML

Now I'm going to have to buy it

Whoops.... :D Sorry about that :D

ZiabR wrote: »
    Say what now? :eek:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Early days but had a blast with it last night.

Soundtrack is fantastic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,297 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Apparently the VR missions (on PS VR) are really good in it too.

• Advertisement

PS4 seems like the best version in a way as you get 3 VR missions and also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

But I've only got a base Ps4 and it runs at an unstable framerate at around 30 fps so went for PC. Runs beautifully in 1440p, but doesn't support 21:9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

PS4 seems like the best version in a way as you get 3 VR missions and also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

But I've only got a base Ps4 and it runs at an unstable framerate at around 30 fps so went for PC. Runs beautifully in 1440p, but doesn't support 21:9.

Runs good bit better on PS4Pro than the base model.

I'm spending most my time playing the AC5 port. Loved that on the PS2 back in the day. The flight model is actually better than AC7. You don't end up a the silly silly crazy speeds in 5 that you do in 7. 7 feels even more arcadey than in flight model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't check now but Xbox gets another AC game but I think both were just for preorders/special editions.

also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

Hang on, what!? Didn't realise they were remastering 4, or that it was available with this. Any word on a 5 remaster? I'd obviously prefer them on the PC, but I'd go out and buy a PS4 today if they were to release them both.

4 and 5 are two of my favourite games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kiith wrote: »
    Hang on, what!? Didn't realise they were remastering 4, or that it was available with this. Any word on a 5 remaster? I'd obviously prefer them on the PC, but I'd go out and buy a PS4 today if they were to release them both.

4 and 5 are two of my favourite games.

PS4 preorders got a AC5 port.
    Xbox got a AC6 port.

No remasters here. I'd love a remaster of 4,5 and Zero. The Holy Trinity of AC games.

Playing AC5 all week, filling up all the kill rates to get all 57 odd planes.

Was there a 4 port? They'll have to release them again, right?

Too late to pre-order it now, but i'd pay good money to play them both (6 not so much).

Varik wrote: »
    Can't check now but Xbox gets another AC game but I think both were just for preorders/special editions.

Xbox gets AC6 but it's on Backwards compatibility.

AC5 on PS4 looks like it won't be released outside of the preorder bonus.

You can still get it as the digital version comes with AC5 up until mid February.

Kiith wrote: »
    Was there a 4 port? They'll have to release them again, right?

Too late to pre-order it now, but i'd pay good money to play them both (6 not so much).

I meant AC5 in my original post, sorry. No AC4 port.

Ah ok, i actually preferred 5, but still love 4. Can't beat that music during the Megalith raid.

• Advertisement

How do the AC games actually play?

Growing up I always loved the idea of a combat-orientated flight sim but the reality has never really lived up to expectations. I still have nightmares seeing the Falcon 4.0 manual and watching my cousin try and take off, then F-22 Lightning 3 came out and I thought it was pretty cool - the combat was ace and the nuke gimmick was fun initially - but the flying bits in between were super boring. Crimson Skies ramped things up further but it was the idea of flying modern jets that I wanted. Fast forward to the 360 and while I had an absolute blast with After Burner Climax, I wanted something a little meatier. Then H.A.W.X came along and after trying the demo it they seemed to have simplified things to such an extent that they were as boring as F22.

I do have Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PC though and outside of a strong desire to Press X for Simple Minds, is that a decent place to try again?

Advertisement