Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty gas hob help.

• 22-01-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭

I have a whirlpool 4 ring gas hob that has been giving some problems lately. It is connected to a standard yellow calor propane tank outside. It has refused to light a few times, today being one when the flame lit faintly before extinguishing as if the gas just ran out. This has happened before but has worked again the following day as if there was no problem. It has also been lighting and the flame has been VERY high, so much so that it has gone yellow and sooty. Even at its lowest setting the flame was well higher than the normal high setting. It was as if the pressure in the bottle was turned up and the gas was coming out very fast and high. Again the following day it was fine as if nothing had happened. Tt is 3.5 years old at this stage, including orange pipe work and the regulator. Before I go calling an engineer out, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Is the hob an lpg hob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

anthonyos wrote: »
    Is the hob an lpg hob

Butane according to the tank outside. Apologies, thought it was propane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Is the hob setup to burn butane.

anthonyos wrote: »
    Is the hob setup to burn butane.

It has been installed for the past three and a half years without issue.

https://www.appliancesdelivered.ie/whirlpool-600mm-gas-hob-akr-311-ix/1114?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-TwiLaC4AIVjQDTCh37PwfkEAQYBCABEgLEP_D_BwE

This is the model I have. A RGI changed the jets for me not long after it was installed by the builder.

Don’t forget butane is a summer gas and doesn’t like the cold.

• Advertisement

5c currently and the gas bottle sounds like the liquid is sloshing around inside no problem. Will try bringing it inside for the day to see does that help. Connecting and reconnecting the bottle drew a tiny low flame but wouldn't take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭monseiur

Try a different (full) gas tank to rule out any issues with your current tank - also check for any kinks in hose from tank especially at back of cooker.
    M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Try a different (full) gas tank to rule out any issues with your current tank - also check for any kinks in hose from tank especially at back of cooker.
    M.

Will do. A cylinder normally lasts me about 6 months or so and I only got this 2 months ago but it's around then since these issues have arisen.

Just reconnected the cylinder after it being inside for an hour or so and it is working again just with lower pressure/flame than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Also replace the regulator they aren't expensive no more than €15 and they don't last forever.

Its probably a Jumbo Gas Regulator you want like this one https://www.topline.ie/garden-outdoors/outdoor-living/bbqs-outdoor-cooking/bbq-accessories/easi-gas/jumbo-gas-regulator

I wonder would it be a good idea to replace the regulator with a propane conversion. It would appear the problem may be cold weather but I still can't understand why the gas is coming put very occasionally very high and on high a pressure.

• Advertisement

I wonder would it be a good idea to replace the regulator with a propane conversion. It would appear the problem may be cold weather but I still can't understand why the gas is coming put very occasionally very high and on high a pressure.

Just get a new Jumbo regulator its a quick fix for little cost. I don't think you can get propane easily now that takes a Jumbo regulator so just stick with what has worked for you before.

my3cents wrote: »
    Just get a new Jumbo regulator its a quick fix for little cost. I don't think you can get propane easily now that takes a Jumbo regulator so just stick with what has worked for you before.

Thanks, I'll pick one up tomorrow. I was cooking this afternoon and it was working without issue after bringing the cylinder inside for an hour to warm up. I may as well change the orange pipe too, it is cracking and badly faded.

Let us know how you get on. Its not always the regulator and this weather it could easily be the temperature but I've seen putting in a new regulator fix similar issues enough times to know its worth doing.

Let us know how you get on. Its not always the regulator and this weather it could easily be the temperature but I've seen putting in a new regulator fix similar issues enough times to know its worth doing.

Will do. Are you an RGI do you mind me asking?

Will do. Are you an RGI do you mind me asking?

No, but you don't need to be one to change a regulator afaik?

No, but you don't need to be one to change a regulator afaik?

No you don't, was just wondering was it sonething you worked at and were familiar with. I did need an RGI to change the jets to LPG compatible however.

No you don't, was just wondering was it sonething you worked at and were familiar with. I did need an RGI to change the jets to LPG compatible however.

I'm not sure you did need to change anything? There will be a rating plate on your hob (also in the manual) that states the flow rate and pressure required and I'd take some convincing that you can't use Butane, Propane or LPG without changing the jets provided you had the correct flow rate and pressure, different regulators.

Our own hobs both in our kitchen and caravan will work with Butane, Propane or LPG but need different jets to work with Natural gas.

The only reason I can thin of that your hob would have needed different jets is if it was bought for use with Natural gas.

When it was bought and initially installed the flame was very high and yellow. I went back to the shop and they told me to change the jets to the other set supplied but I could only get it done by an RGI. This was September 2015 and it was worked flawlessly until the issues which have arisen in the past month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

I'm not sure you did need to change anything? There will be a rating plate on your hob (also in the manual) that states the flow rate and pressure required and I'd take some convincing that you can't use Butane, Propane or LPG without changing the jets provided you had the correct flow rate and pressure, different regulators.

Our own hobs both in our kitchen and caravan will work with Butane, Propane or LPG but need different jets to work with Natural gas.

The only reason I can thin of that your hob would have needed different jets is if it was bought for use with Natural gas.

AFAIK there should be no problem with Butane cylinders (which contain a small % of Propane) at any temperature > -2C.
    I have a "Type 682 JGR2 Jumbo Gas Regulator for Butane Gas" 2 kg/hr @ 29 mbar which I have used for a good few years very occasionally during power outages on a 4 burner portable hob.
    Would also suggest to renew the regulator.

When it was bought and initially installed the flame was very high and yellow. I went back to the shop and they told me to change the jets to the other set supplied but I could only get it done by an RGI. This was September 2015 and it was worked flawlessly until the issues which have arisen in the past month or two.

iirc Natural gas is supplied at a lower pressure so has larger jet size compared with LPG (Butane/Propane or a mix) so too much gas would get through if you initially had jets installed for Natural gas, hence the high yellow flame.

The jets you have now will work with Butane Propane or LPG.

• Advertisement
Advertisement