Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma and Travel Fear

Options
  • 10-01-2019 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hello

Just got diagnosed with Asthma last year (aged 46, Male) Had sinus issues etc for ages but the diagnosis was hard. I felt such fear and it kicked off a bit of anxiety. I can be a super confident guy in every area of my life except for Travel - I get anxious about being away, cant relax, panic etc. The addition of asthma to the mix has made it a bit worse. Flights, being away etc are difficult.

I know logically I am OK, that inhaler will work, that I wont have an asthma attack etc But still anxious. Don't want to ruin my kids and wife's holiday's by being the wound up fella....

For the record - I use my inhaler about 3 times a month so not wheezy a lot of the time however if I get a little wheeze I get anxious and stress drives the wheeze so it is a vicious cycle.

Anybody with asthma care to help? Appreciate any help at all.
    Am seeing a CBT guy who is good but the issue is I have little practice at being away as I work primarily in Ireland. I even thought about doing a few day trips/ overnights to UK to get me some practice!...:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I've been asthmatic for over 30 years and have travelled far and wide.
    Always make sure you have your inhaler to hand (and a spare in case of loss). If you have been prescribed a steroid inhaler to prevent attacks check with your doctor if it's ok to take that for a couple of days before you go to ease your lungs. Otherwise just carry on as you would at home. Talk to your doctor about your travel anxiety and she may offer you advice about overcoming it.

I presume you have medication for the sinus issues as sinusitis can contribute to your asthma problems so take these with you also.

I don't use my inhalers very often anymore but always have them with me. As my doc says about travelling with any medical condition, take all your meds, make sure you have travel insurance and if the worst happens there are doctors/hospitals everywhere.

One more thing, I always find my breathing easier when I'm in sunny climates. The dampness here doesn't help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Finchie1276

Hello Wlydwood,

Thank you so much for that. It really helps. I guess my big fear is that my inhaler would not work thats mostly anxiety though.
    I'm working on CBT to deal with the anxiety and hopefully that will help.
    Thanks again for your perspective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I find less need for my inhaler when travelling, especially to warmer climates. I always have it, but rarely use it. Never had any issues with taking it through airport security in case that topic comes up ;)

Advertisement