Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Even More With CDWOW

Options
  • 05-06-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Just a tip on buying CDS, DVDs with CDwow. They have multiple sites for the different regions they operate in. No matter where you order from, it will be free shipping to you. The prices on each website are in the local currency so if you shop around the CDWOW sites you have a chance of making a saving (on some already very cheap) prices. Heres an example :

The White Stripes Elephant

www.cdwow.ie : €13.95

www.cdwow.com : £8.99 = €12.60

www.cd-wow.com.hk : $94.99 (hong Kong Dollers) = €10.30!

So, i just saved an extra €3.65 and still have free shipping to me house. On top of that all you have to do when you are checking out is select Euro as the currency of your choice and you will be billed in Euro so there will be no extra Credit card Fees.

Hope this helps a few people out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just beware that these sites DO NOT sell UK versions of the cd's so u might miss out on a bonus track or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Its fairly rare that happens tho'. The Radiohead album for example is the limited edition one on the CDWow site.

They have a full selection of R2 Dvds also and PAL Console games.
    Between Cdwow and Play.com you should have very little reason to buy from HMV again to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when you are checking out is select Euro
    where do you do this I got as far as the enter credit card details page and couldn't find it??

which page and where

oh and thanks for teh site

Oops, sorry. You can only change the currency on the UK site. Didnt spot that earlier. Still, buying from the Hong Kong site should give considerable savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

have anyone actually bought from this site (hong kong)

was just wondering incase they realise what tehy did and jack up vat or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Any DVDs that I ordered from CD WOW were shipped from Hong Kong, and they were ordered from the cdwow.ie site...

As far as VAt is concerned, im sure that imported DVDs from non EU countries are liable to VAT, however as they generally come via an post, VAT is rarely if ever charged, however DVDs that are couriers by the likes of DHL. Fedex, UPS etc are charged for Duty and VAT if applicable as courier companies are obliged to have a VAT clearing office in order to set up in Ireland. (or something along those lines)

Thanks for the tip Mbroarders, Ive seen ti before but never bothered to follow up... keep em coming...

Have bought a few things from them and have noticed no difference at all from buying from the .ie or the .com sites. They are customs friendly is so far they ship every item seperatly and they put a low value on them. Personally i have found their support much better than Play.coms. All my emails have been answered with 2-3 hours and if anything goes wrong with the shipment they usually ship a replacement straight away no questions asked.

I think i heard somewhere that if for some reason you are caught by customs they will credit your account the amount. No too sure about that one tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by hussey
    have anyone actually bought from this site (hong kong)

was just wondering incase they realise what tehy did and jack up vat or something??
    I have ordered from the .hk site before and the price you see is the price you pay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Just ordered 8 dvds from the .hk website and made a good bit of savings compared to if I ordering the same dvds from the .ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Cool...

saving people money already...

or did you end up spending more due to the lower cost.. :)

V.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    just beware that these sites DO NOT sell UK versions of the cd's so u might miss out on a bonus track or two
    Or as in the case of the new Radiohead album it might be protected. Mine arrived this morning and it's got copy protection which means I can't play it in my pc here at work, a guy I know bought the album yesterday for 22.99E in HMV! The UK release doesn't have the protection that the Asian one does. Funny thing is they're both manufactured in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I dislike the copy-protection thing intensely, but I have found that most CDs will still play on a PC, even if protected. Some of them include a player which streams the audio from the disk and plays it that way. Problems can arise if you want to rip the audio to put it on your MP3 player. The most common thing that the protection does is insert "clicks" into the ripped file. You may also hear garbles in the track on playback. Unfortunately, this is the way the Big Five record companies are moving, so you will see more and more CDs like this. If you mail CD Wow, though, they will tell you if the disc is protected before you buy.

Instead of blaming Napster and so on of losing them money, why don't they learn from CD Wow's approach and charge less for the feckin' things. I've bought far more CDs since I discovered CD Wow, and if I get something on MP3 that I like, I have no problem buying the CD and will be even more likely to do if the price is more reasonable. A few less Popstars and so on would be nice, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by yellum
    Just ordered 8 dvds from the .hk website and made a good bit of savings compared to if I ordering the same dvds from the .ie website.

And they arrived today ! Woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Not content with fixing prices they are out to stop any unfixers. Ther are trying to stop cd-wow importing to UK.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/archive/29787.html

Thx for link.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Originally posted by Bannor
    Or as in the case of the new Radiohead album it might be protected. Mine arrived this morning and it's got copy protection which means I can't play it in my pc here at work, a guy I know bought the album yesterday for 22.99E in HMV! The UK release doesn't have the protection that the Asian one does. Funny thing is they're both manufactured in the same place.

On a side note, if he'd bothered to walk that little bit extra to tower records, he'd have got the limited edition rh album for €19.99. *shrug* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ordered the Radiohead album and Paul Mccartney DVD from .hk site. e23, delivered in 3 days and saved e3 over .ie site.

Cheers for the tip mbroaders.
    On a side note, if he'd bothered to walk that little bit extra to tower records, he'd have got the limited edition rh album for €19.99. *shrug*
    Funny you should say that. I bought an album in Golden Discs, Stephens Green for e18 over Xmas. As I was walking down Grafton Street I saw a huge Q in HMV so I went in and told one chap that HMV where e2 dearer that Golden Discs and there was no Q there. I bumped into him a few hours later and he told me he saved e3 and 15 minutes.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

It's so true. HMV is a great store for browsing, but unless you're a big impulse purchaser, check out GD, Tower, and Road Records before spending a wad of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

if i buy from the hong kong site of cdwow will this give me the cheapest price ,or as one posted you must buy through uk site to pay in euros. i see some of ye bought through .hk site and were ye billed on your credit card in equivalent price in euros ,no extras?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Originally posted by Bannor

Most of the protection methods can be bypassed by placing a small sliver of sellotape on the data-track of the CD.

You should easily see a gap between the outer (data) track and inner (audio) track.

The outer is skipped by CD players but read by CDROM drives in computers to enable protection. Covering it means the CDROM drive cannot read the data track and reads the audio track as per normal.

Disclaimer: not my fault if you feck up your CD/CDROM etc...

kd10.
    I bought directly through the .hk site a few days ago. My credit card company just converted the HK price to Euro. The rate used was the rate at the time (9.0166). There were no other charges.
    thegills

BTW - Goods arrived after 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

cheers thegills , will buy stuff off .hk site, ya save serious cash compared to music shops here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Originally posted by bringitdown
    Most of the protection methods can be bypassed by placing a small sliver of sellotape on the data-track of the CD.

You should easily see a gap between the outer (data) track and inner (audio) track.

The outer is skipped by CD players but read by CDROM drives in computers to enable protection. Covering it means the CDROM drive cannot read the data track and reads the audio track as per normal.

Disclaimer: not my fault if you feck up your CD/CDROM etc...

That was only on some of them and the company has fixed it now so that that no longer works

Originally posted by JohnK
    That was only on some of them and the company has fixed it now so that that no longer works

Arse! I just got a new CD with the new protection on it... feck, heres me being smug thinking ha ha: a little non-brand sticky tape will fix you my freind but nooooooo!

Anyone get around the new protection method? I wanna put the CD on my MP3 jukebox but noooo....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

i didnt know about the hong kong site. i will have to check it out. I have been buying my DVD's and CD's from the american CD Wow. It costs $13.95 for a CD compared to 13.95 Euro on CD Wow.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by bringitdown
    [BAnyone get around the new protection method? I wanna put the CD on my MP3 jukebox but noooo.... [/B]

Talk about bypassing security feature isn't allowed....even if it is just to convert the music to mp3s to play on a computer.

This is the last warning on the subject. Next peon will get a banning

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the site is brill for mainstream music but as far it goes for quality music that i like it's a no go area like it's only got the new album by weezer maladroit which is a major dissappointment piss poor album and it hasn't got any of their other 3 albums? have they not heard of "ohh wee hoo we look just like buddy holly?"

gazzer,

Whats the address for the CDwow American site?

I typed in cdwow.com but it directs to the UK site!!

thegills

The american site is www.cd-wow.net although i think you will find the Hong Kong site to be considerably cheaper.

An album on the american site is $13.95 which works out at about €12.10. The Hong Kong Site will be almost €2 cheaper.

keeks,

I bought the Radiohead album legitimately a few weeks ago. I also bought an MP3 player last year. I can't put the Radiohead album onto my MP3 player which is annoying as I was away last week on holidays, and what if the Radiohead security feature catches on - will all MP3 / WMA players be rendered useless??

thegills

• Advertisement

Talk about bypassing security feature isn't allowed....even if it is just to convert the music to mp3s to play on a computer.

Okay, well it is not a security feature as such it is a copyright feature, designed to prevent the CD being copied ...

Anyhew not wishing to incur the wrath of the mods for discussing a legitimate (albeit off-topic in this case) subject I'll leave it with a couple of links that may be of interest.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/20947.html
    http://dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Intellectual_Property/Music_Freedom/Corrupted_Audio_CDs/
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993020

Advertisement