Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭haitens

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I'd assume it was the most lucrative of all. The forty/fiftysomethings here are spending thousands per year on gigs. Those under 25 are spending a portion of that. And it isn't just a minority of the older crowd going to gigs, it's a big part of the demographic.

Don't forget about the pints, I know everyone likes to sneak a few cans in but I reckon it's the older crowd buying pints during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Worst you'll lose is your booking and admin fee but I can't see something like that going ahead at the end of April. The very best we can hope for are gig in three months.

Going to be a lot of happy campers on here for the duration.

Have a ball of things lined up for the next few months and they are all under threat, only thing is I'll have money to buy people to carry me around on a throne at EP if they are all cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Poorside wrote: »
    Have a ball of things lined up for the next few months and they are all under threat, only thing is I'll have money to buy people to carry me around on a throne at EP if they are all cancelled.

I've already been refunded for two gigs here in March and April. Loads more to come I expect, 6/7 at Galway Arts Fest, Nick Cave in Dublin, etc.

Room on that throne for two?

I've already been refunded for two gigs here in March and April. Loads more to come I expect, 6/7 at Galway Arts Fest, Nick Cave in Dublin, etc.

Room on that throne for two?

Bring a can and you're own crown and we'll make it work.

Poorside wrote: »
    Bring a can and you're own crown and we'll make it work.

I think we may get held to this Poorside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

poundhound wrote: »
    There is no chance of this going ahead. Absolutely zero.

If you look at the trend by festival time the virus will have been wide spread or contained. EP will 100% go ahead! But its possible some acts will drop off.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    If you look at the trend by festival time the virus will have been wide spread or contained. EP will 100% go ahead! But its possible some acts will drop off.

I think EP has the best chance of any of the big festivals of surviving because of its timing.

Just realised I have The Frames the Saturday before Glasto and then my brother is getting married the Friday after, I'll be a zombie for a month after that, just about recovered to attack EP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Watching Elbow on Other Voices. They should knock the whole stadium superstars thing on the head and go back to playing to a couple of hundred people. You forget how good they are.

Weird day. Feels like there'll never be another gig. No harm forgetting about the whole thing for a few weeks. Maybe I'll just be so grateful to see live music again, I'll have found the love again.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Watching Elbow on Other Voices. They should knock the whole stadium superstars thing on the head and go back to playing to a couple of hundred people. You forget how good they are.

Weird day. Feels like there'll never be another gig. No harm forgetting about the whole thing for a few weeks. Maybe I'll just be so grateful to see live music again, I'll have found the love again.

I see their Dub and Belfast gigs have been moved from end of this month to end of June.

I love seldom seen kid but dont know much of their other stuff, when they played EP in 2017 they weren't so much on my radar but I'd completly forgotten how good they were!!

Ah no, wasn't a huge fan until I watched their Glasto set on TV and then saw them at EP, Grounds for Divorce is an absolute stadium shaker and Lippy kids is just unreal,always had a soft spot for One day like this, but they blew me away at EP, Garvey is a brilliant frontman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It looks like the peak of this darn virus will be at the time of Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets on 29th April, so I'll have to wait for the venue to cancel so I can get a refund, the same with the reggae day at Dun Laoghaire Harbour festival which will just be over a month after. If Glastonbury gets cancelled I can see the same for Life and Body&Soul too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rage Against the Machine have postponed the first leg of their tour amid coronavirus outbreak. Second leg is the dates including EP, keep the aul fingers crossed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭endainoz

Id be hopeful that we have this thing contained earlier than other countries. We won't have much happening in April but I'm guessing things might be getting back to normal by mid May or so. Let's be hopeful here guys!

Someone should invent some sort of a Skype festival or like a YouTube watchalong of their most favorite gigs. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

The stunning supported by turn tomorrow first of mine to go (rescheduled and to a date that suits so not too bad) but expect to lose a lot over next few months. Will defo need EP after that so fingers crossed. However even if no gigs till then it wouldn't entice me to watch picture this

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, I have no idea who this band is but hopefully more will follow this trend!

Good stuff. You'd like them, endainoz.

Good stuff. You'd like them, endainoz.

Oh thanks for the recommendation. This will do nicely on St Patrick's day before John Sheahans 80th birthday celebrations from Vicar St on TG4. (Thankfully it was recorded in December!)

endainoz wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, I have no idea who this band is but hopefully more will follow this trend!

It's some of the guys from TPM "all the boyz on the fas course"

https://youtu.be/pVlJAV8BrZw

In the interests of full disclosure, the Mary Wallopers is their trad incarnation, not quite as mental as that.

Pals who got into the Ballina gig said it was sensational. Great reports re Autre Monde, Squarehead & Denise Chaila also.

• Advertisement

Id be hopeful that we have this thing contained earlier than other countries. We won't have much happening in April but I'm guessing things might be getting back to normal by mid May or so. Let's be hopeful here guys!

Someone should invent some sort of a Skype festival or like a YouTube watchalong of their most favorite gigs. Anyone have any ideas?

I think we will but due to the UK's ineptitude we may get hit by the fallout from over there. Hopefully Northern Ireland follows our line and the island becomes a little safer. Can't see any gigs happening til mid-Summer at the earliest.

In the interests of full disclosure, the Mary Wallopers is their trad incarnation, not quite as mental as that.

Did someone say trad hip hop crossover?!

https://youtu.be/dR18PeHzeEQ

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

I thought it was ALL of the guys :) from TPM.

Talented bunch and would be most most welcome... I'm dying to find some new artist to buy a pint for... after Sports Team last year :)

F**k Fine Gael and f**k Fianna Fail too!!!

Obviously that's a quote from the lads... may not be the opinion of the writer here.... or anyone else...

I thought it was ALL of the guys :) from TPM.

Talented bunch and would be most most welcome... I'm dying to find some new artist to buy a pint for... after Sports Team last year :)

Obviously that's a quote from the lads... may not be the opinion of the writer here.... or anyone else...

Could be, not sure if TPM know exactly how many members they have :):) talented bunch!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'd like to hear more rap and punk songs that discuss moderate fiscal responsibility, balancing the government budget and address the burning issues of the day like whether the Metro North should stop in town or in Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Could be, not sure if TPM know exactly how many members they have :):) talented bunch!

T.P.M are three lads, two brothers and a third lad being DJ/MC. The Mary Wallopers are the two brothers and a different third lad, all three trading vocal duties and instruments. The YouTube live session is such a good idea - a nice incentive to stay inside. Their banter is absolutely hilarious too.

This is the kinda stuff we could be looking at, was already on to a couple of musicians about doing something similar. If anyone has any interest in it or wants to get involved send an aul PM there.

This is the kinda stuff we could be looking at, was already on to a couple of musicians about doing something similar. If anyone has any interest in it or wants to get involved send an aul PM there.

If the restrictions on crowds lasts for a while this could really work. I'd be up for paying artists a few euros to do live sets online. Gets money in the coffers of struggling musicians while the crisis is ongoing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Whether you like them or not they can still pull a large crowd

• Advertisement

I'm liking Joy Crookes. She played Other Voices in Dingle. Don't suppose anyone saw that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement