Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venue capacity

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

rubadub wrote: »
    Gaiety listed as 2000 online
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiety_Theatre,_Dublin

It doesn't seem to get many gigs

Olympia Capacity 1,287 seated[1] 1,600 standing and seating
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Theatre,_Dublin

Vicar street Capacity 1,050 (seated) 1,500 (standing)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicar_Street

I wish more were in bord gais, at least the seats (that I was in anyway) had fairly decent legroom, unlike the olympia where some are terrible. I heard it dated back to it being so old, and people being shorter back then.

I think with the BGET they prob want to keep it as clean as possible because when i went to a show there just before X-Mas you couldn't bring drink in with you to the auditorium itself. Its a lovely venue and i think it could work for more gigs even if you have to pick a seat etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I thought the academy was 1100?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I thought the academy was 1100?

650 downstairs and 200 upstairs.

Sh1te venue if youre downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I wish more were in bord gais, at least the seats (that I was in anyway) had fairly decent legroom, unlike the olympia where some are terrible. I heard it dated back to it being so old, and people being shorter back then.

They replaced the seats in the Olympia a year or two ago. The new ones are a big improvement - reasonable comfortable for a tall guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They replaced the seats in the Olympia a year or two ago. The new ones are a big improvement - reasonable comfortable for a tall guy.

I thought that was only in the stalls downstairs though? most gigs I would go to have standing but I prefer the circle.

They went and scrapped the good row downstairs with which had a huge gap for people to walk through so all the leg room you need, and no need to stand up for people trying to go to the toilet/bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Ye think? I’m not that tall and found a recent show there in the circle to be the exact same - a total mess.

It seems it was just the stalls, I remember my father being well pissed off, he had bought for the old row thinking it still had all that legroom.

https://www.olympia.ie/buy-tickets/seating-layout
    Please note, we have recently installed brand new seating in the Stalls area. The layout on the ground floor Stalls area has therefore changed for every seated show. You can find an amazing timelapse video of the installation here, produced by Kerbute Productions.

See old "row G"
    olympia-3-jun-2011-dave.jpg

and the new one, which does seem to have more space between rows, maybe they just got rid of the walkway and evenly spread out that space, i.e. possibly has the same number of rows overall
    0_cc31c88c-860a-4002-bae9-2805f85215e1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Mr.S wrote: »
    Reduced capacity 3Area (with the curtain of shame) is sometimes used to fill this gap but it’s always a weird atmosphere. Given how big the space is.

Probably raised before - LiveNation actually blocked Citywest from expanding their site into a proper concert venues, go figure :rolleyes:

That said, not sure if Citywest is an ideal location, pretty far from the city centre by public transport.
    They want to keep all the action in the venues they own themselves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

corm500 wrote: »
    Dublin could do with a 2k+ and a 6k+ venue. What does the RDS main hall hold? Don’t know if they still use it but saw a few gigs there over the years.

Acoustics in Simmonscourt are awful beyond the ability of being fixed from memory.

Old Main Hall is too low/too many support pillars really although I know gigs are held there - presume some are seated?

Have been told an anecdote that may be bollox of one of the first acts to play the original Point talking about how they wouldn't play Dublin until it was built after one gig in Simmonscourt!

I don't trust this list as all actually being Simmonscourt - fairly sure were Arena (outdoor) - https://www.setlist.fm/venue/rds-simmonscourt-dublin-ireland-1bd63934.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Poking through Setlists and I see there's been a few gigs in the Convention Centre. That must have a fairly decent capacity if its the main hall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Poking through Setlists and I see there's been a few gigs in the Convention Centre. That must have a fairly decent capacity if its the main hall?

This holds 2000 but it isn't main hall:
    https://www.theccd.ie/view-the-venue/the-auditorium

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It seems it was just the stalls, I remember my father being well pissed off, he had bought for the old row thinking it still had all that legroom.

https://www.olympia.ie/buy-tickets/seating-layout

See old "row G"
    olympia-3-jun-2011-dave.jpg

and the new one, which does seem to have more space between rows, maybe they just got rid of the walkway and evenly spread out that space, i.e. possibly has the same number of rows overall
    0_cc31c88c-860a-4002-bae9-2805f85215e1.JPG

Yes, it was the stalls seating that was replaced. I was apprehensive about the loss of Row G too, but the new seats downstairs are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    How much does the different rooms in the RDS hold?

If (a big if) it was to ever happen and ireland won the Eurovision....Where would it be held? Is the 3arena large enough now or whats the criteria?

The 3Arena would be more than adequate .
    The venue holding it in Israel this month only has a capacity of 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there a definitive list anywhere of venue capacities?

I've copied any numbers in this thread, and added a couple. Would be interested in any corrections or additions.

The Big Romance: 120
    Bello Bar: 200
    Lost Lane: 200
    The Sound House: 250
    The Grand Social: 250
    The Sugar Club: 350
    Tengu: 250 main room (400 two floors)
    Whelans: 450 (upstairs 120)
    The Academy: 600
    Voodoo lounge/Index/39/40: 600
    Button factory: 800
    Academy 1: 850
    Academy green room: 550
    Academy 2: 230
    Vicar street: 1,050 (seated) 1,500 (standing)
    National Concert Hall: 1,200
    District 8: 1500
    Olympia: 1302 (seating) 1621 (standing)
    Bord Gáis Energy Theatre: 2,111
    Iveagh Gardens: 4,000
    Royal Hospital Kilmainham: 10,000
    3: 13,000
    RDS: 16,500 40,000
    Marlay Park: 40,000
    Croke Park: 80,000
    Slane 80,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The gap between the Olympia and the 3 is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Im noticing its stating to push up prices of acts playing the academy/vicar Street and olympia as the bands are doing 2-5k venues on the rest of the tour and just hiking an extra 10-15 quid on the ticket price here to cover for the lack of capacity, that's if they bother coming at all.

Whelans: 450
    District 8: 1500
    whelans upstairs is 120 according to their site

http://www.whelanslive.com/index.php/production/upstairs-venue/

district 8 sounded high, but I can see its a new venue in Airside in Swords, not the one I was thinking of which I now remember closed.

On Slanes wiki page it says
    As many as 70,000–110,000 people usually attend

Their own site says
    Slane Castle hosts many high profile events, from its famous Summer Concerts with a capacity of 80,000 people,

And the wiki page also lists 80,000 for some sold out gigs so I would go with that. If there was a 110,000 gig it might not be allowed these days.

RDS 18,500
    16,500 seated
    but that could be for games. Says Record attendance 22,000 (38,000 for a concert)

the 38k was radiohead in 1997, but then wiki says Tina Turner had 40k in 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDS_Arena

and "Bon Jovi have played the venue many times. They played over two nights in June 2011 to over 80,000 people"

So I would go 40,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Im noticing its stating to push up prices of acts playing the academy/vicar Street and olympia as the bands are doing 2-5k venues on the rest of the tour and just hiking an extra 10-15 quid on the ticket price here to cover for the lack of capacity, that's if they bother coming at all.
    Tbh the ticket prices are being pushed up as the stage design for those acts has increased significantly in the last 2 years. Bands playing 700-1400 capacity are now expected by the fans to have a decent light and stage design set up. The days of a cloth with the bands logo are truly over

And also simply there is not 200 plus acts a year who would sell 3000-5000 tickets in Dublin to justify such a building. Even the olympia and vicar devote 1/3 or 1/4 of their schedule to theatre or comedy respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How would Dublin rate daily/nightly on entertainment compared to other major cities ???

80% of the time you would find a gig/play/comedy etc that would interest you if you had a night in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep its an hour to the Point on the Luas from Citiwest. A fúcking hour. Its 9 miles away.

9 miles from Citywest to the 3 arena ?!
    Really?
    Must be more than that !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Fanirish wrote: »
    And also simply there is not 200 plus acts a year who would sell 3000-5000 tickets in Dublin to justify such a building. Even the olympia and vicar devote 1/3 or 1/4 of their schedule to theatre or comedy respectively

Surely you'd have a 5k venue at the BGT if they added removeable seats to the floor section just like they have in a lot of venues in the UK.

funnyname wrote: »
    Surely you'd have a 5k venue at the BGT if they added removeable seats to the floor section just like they have in a lot of venues in the UK.
    BGT was never designed as a live music venue, PA system in place isn’t suitable for most types of concerts, external system has to be installed. Plus bgt is fulfilling its design - venue for touring west end productions and there is rarely ever much free weeks as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Liberty Hall hosts gigs, and has a capacity of 411 in the main hall.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saw The Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight and Somebody's Child in the 3Arena last night

Main floor was all standing which seemed reasonably full with one level of seats that was less than half-full, although anyone with a seat could walk easily into the standing area. The top level of seats was curtained off

How many were there - pure guess but I would say maybe 6-8,000 but I thought it worked well. Anyone wanting a seat could watch from above, and even had a close up of Ricky Wilson when he moved into the arena for a couple of numbers on a mini stage set up for him. I don't think the relatively low numbers had any detrimental impact on the show (but I was right up at the front)

EDIT: Just to add, ticket prices were €50-60 or so, and I guess they would still have grossed over €300k after VAT, which is going to be viable for something like the 3Arena and indeed acts of that quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

What's the 6000 sqm 'event space' in the Pembroke Square part of Dundrum Town Centre going to be does anyone know?

how come the Simmonscourt Arena in the RDS doesnt get used anymore ??

Didnt MCD or Aiken buy the arena in the citywest recently ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    how come the Simmonscourt Arena in the RDS doesnt get used anymore ??

The acoustics are spectacularly bad.

I wonder if a better/more modern setup might help though.

The last gig on setlist.fm for it, wasn't actually there as far as I know - it was Main Hall. So you've to go back to 2012.

It also hasn't got a lot of toilets come to think of it!

L1011 wrote: »
    The acoustics are spectacularly bad.

I wonder if a better/more modern setup might help though.

The last gig on setlist.fm for it, wasn't actually there as far as I know - it was Main Hall. So you've to go back to 2012.

It also hasn't got a lot of toilets come to think of it!

The find the whole RDS sight to be rundown and in need of a shake up

The RDS arena is a bit of ****hole esp that Angesela stand (I knw it's good for Rugby and show jumping but not for concerts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GerPen2015

I was at the Waterfront in Belfast monday night for The Strokes, my 1st time in the waterfront and I was very impressed. I had only seating tickets but everyone in the seated sections were up and jumping and dancing and had the freedom to move about from place to place , I have been to gigs in olympia and 3arena in the seats and its always a pain to be told sit down and that you cannot move move about , I would def make the trip back up there for another gig , I think the capacity is just over 2000.

Advertisement