Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paye worker and self employed over payment of tax?

• 22-11-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi

I am a PAYE worked and my wife is self employed part time. We are jointly assessed. She has made a tax return each year for the last 3 years. I believe we have overpaid the tax for the last two years, 2017 and 2018. What is the best way to go about checking if this is the case. Do we need to talk to someone in revenue about this or is there a way online to do this. Since we did both returns online is there a way we can go back and review what we paid.

Thanks in advance

LarMan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

Are you jointly assessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

LarMan wrote: »
    Hi

I am a PAYE worked and my wife is self employed part time. We are jointly assessed. She has made a tax return each year for the last 3 years. I believe we have overpaid the tax for the last two years, 2017 and 2018. What is the best way to go about checking if this is the case. Do we need to talk to someone in revenue about this or is there a way online to do this. Since we did both returns online is there a way we can go back and review what we paid.

Thanks in advance

LarMan

You say you are jointly assessed so did you file eF12 or Form 11?
    You say "she filed" so was both PAYE and self-employed income on the one form for each year?
    What makes you believe there is an overpayment?
    Have you got the Balancing Statements (P21) from eF12 filing or ITSA assessment letters from Form 11 filing and if not you can download those from MyAccount/ROS. Check against the data you submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

ismat wrote: »
    Are you jointly assessed

Yes we are jointly assessed

Stratvs wrote: »
    You say you are jointly assessed so did you file eF12 or Form 11?
    You say "she filed" so was both PAYE and self-employed income on the one form for each year?
    What makes you believe there is an overpayment?
    Have you got the Balancing Statements (P21) from eF12 filing or ITSA assessment letters from Form 11 filing and if not you can download those from MyAccount/ROS. Check against the data you submitted.

Thanks for replying

We filed a Form 11.
    Yes we put both incomes on the one form. As we were joint assesed we believed we should include both incomes on the form. I believe there are sections that asked me to state how much PAYE tax I had paid.

As for why I think we overpaid. There are a number of reasons. I believe I overstated how much I earned as taxable pay, we also may not have received credit for health insurance contributions, also we want to make sure that the tax credits were correct. I'm afraid we are not familiar with the other items you mentioned.

regards

LarMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Thanks for replying

We filed a Form 11.
    Yes we put both incomes on the one form. As we were joint assesed we believed we should include both incomes on the form. I believe there are sections that asked me to state how much PAYE tax I had paid.

As for why I think we overpaid. There are a number of reasons. I believe I overstated how much I earned as taxable pay, we also may not have received credit for health insurance contributions, also we want to make sure that the tax credits were correct. I'm afraid we are not familiar with the other items you mentioned.

regards

LarMan

You can amend the form 11s filed through ROS. Where did you get the figures for your pay and tax that they may have been overstated? Your p60's for those years should show you the figures to use. Tax relief for medical insurance premiums is relieved at source unless paid by your employer. If it was then you'll need the premium breakdown from your employer for the years in question. Tax relief on it is also restricted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying

We filed a Form 11.

regards

LarMan

Ok so it's a F11. It was online.
    Did you complete the PAYE section or was it already pre-populated?
    Did the amounts entered on the F11 agree with taxable pay and tax paid per your P60s? Bear in mind if you had a previous PAYE underpayment then tax paid in a year might include that so actual tax available to credit against the year may be less. There would have been a box on the F11 for that.

Who paid the health contributions? If it was yourselves then there is no further credit as relief is at source via the provider. If the employer paid part/all of the contributions then there may be relief due to you in respect of some of that as you would have paid BIK on the amount the employer paid.

Check your original tax credit certs ( available on ROS / MyAccount ) in your MyDocuments folder. Is there anything there that is correct but which is not on the final F11 or assessment Revenue would have sent back after processing.

Ok so it's a F11. It was online.
    Did you complete the PAYE section or was it already pre-populated?
    Did the amounts entered on the F11 agree with taxable pay and tax paid per your P60s? Bear in mind if you had a previous PAYE underpayment then tax paid in a year might include that so actual tax available to credit against the year may be less. There would have been a box on the F11 for that.

Who paid the health contributions? If it was yourselves then there is no further credit as relief is at source via the provider. If the employer paid part/all of the contributions then there may be relief due to you in respect of some of that as you would have paid BIK on the amount the employer paid.

Check your original tax credit certs ( available on ROS / MyAccount ) in your MyDocuments folder. Is there anything there that is correct but which is not on the final F11 or assessment Revenue would have sent back after processing.

I can't remember if the figures were prepopulated, to be honest my wife was filling it in and I was not paying much attention until I saw the tax bill. I've done a bit more research since then and I would really like to review what we entered in to make sure it is correct, so I could really do with seeing those returns to see exactly what we put in

The company paid the insurance so I have to claim that back.

I can't remember if the figures were prepopulated, to be honest my wife was filling it in and I was not paying much attention until I saw the tax bill. I've done a bit more research since then and I would really like to review what we entered in to make sure it is correct, so I could really do with seeing those returns to see exactly what we put in

The filed F11 will be available in ROS in your inbox. If it has been archived do a search by document income tax Form 11 and you'll get copies of each year filed. That shows what you put in and then you can compare.

If the employer paid all then you'd have been BIKd on that.

Check Tax credit certs for the years to see if a medical insurance credit was already allowed there for the amounts due. If not then you can amend F11.

Remember limits on relief max €1,000 premium = €200 per adult and €500 premium = €100 per child.

If the employer paid all then you'd have been BIKd on that.

Check Tax credit certs for the years to see if a medical insurance credit was already allowed there for the amounts due. If not then you can amend F11.

Remember limits on relief max €1,000 premium = €200 per adult and €500 premium = €100 per child.

Thanks I'll check out the forms

• Advertisement
Advertisement