Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving costs

Options
  • 25-11-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone a rough estimate for moving costs? I only need a few things moved, e.g. a mattress, couch, and desk, and a few boxes too with stuff like delph etc. Only moving to another part of town. Does anyone have any idea how much this could cost approximately? It’s not a whole house, but I’ve no way of transporting these items myself and wouldn’t be able to lift a couch on my own!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sounds like a man in a van job. Try adverts.ie or similar.

Probably moot as lifting stuff on your own is an issue but driving a Transit is as easy as driving a Fiat 500 - parking it - now there's the skill :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

It must be expensive. Unless you got a luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; Man with a Van. I think they have a page of their own? Worth their weight in gold. Most I paid in my various migrations was up a dirt road in Kerry to remote Connemara with a whole vanload including fridge, freezer and some furniture and a lot of stuff for £300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Where are you based OP? I've used vantasks.ie in Dublin and they were excellent, and very reasonable. They have different sized vans, you could request a quote on their website and then you'll have an idea of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Thanks all. I got a removal company here in Galway to do it for €125 approx. Really handy!

• Advertisement

whatever99 wrote: »
    Thanks all. I got a removal company here in Galway to do it for €125 approx. Really handy!

Thats bloody good going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

So as not to start a completely new thread on the same thing,

Anyone any figures around a whole house move? lots of everything,
    Living room suite, loads of books, tv, music system
    clothes, and loads of tools,
    Id be tempted to move stuff myself, but I dont know what timeframe will be given for clearing everything out,

I dont think this is a job for a man with a van, who I mostly have come across for moving the odd thing, to being one man shows with not very clean vehicles/ or much concern about not damaging stuff, ie suite of furniture/beds/mattresses.
    Professional of some level, just not sure what size vehicle will be needed or how many trips

Costs experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

1874 wrote: »

You can expect to pay 1-2k, depends mostly on the amount of stuff of course, but also if they have to store it for any length of time (even a day).

My advice:
    - get a proper moving company (Allen, Careline, etc)
    - pay them to pack everything (it's fairly cheap, because they prefer to do it themselves, so they know stuff is packed properly to be transported, and it means you just leave them the keys)
    - don't hang around when they are packing / loading up
    - let them disassemble and reassemble furniture

I dealt with Careline, and they lost a few bolts in a bunk bed. I called them about it afterward, and the service was good (they sent a guy out with a few replacements immediately).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

1874 wrote: »
    So as not to start a completely new thread on the same thing,

Id be tempted to move stuff myself, but I dont know what timeframe will be given for clearing everything out,

I dont think this is a job for a man with a van, who I mostly have come across for moving the odd thing, to being one man shows with not very clean vehicles/ or much concern about not damaging stuff, ie suite of furniture/beds/mattresses.
    Professional of some level, just not sure what size vehicle will be needed or how many trips

Costs experienced?

I have used " man with van" on several occasions ie different ones and always totally professional . clean, and treating everything with great respect. Both in Kerry and Connemara and Macroom.

I had names etc from a listing here online; all monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've moved 3 times with moving companies. Last time as I was between jobs i did the packing myself. Don't underestimate how much hassle that is...

I wouldn't do it again and didn't save a huge amount. Pay the money to a proper company and let them do it all. 1-2k but that's what they do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Wow 1-2k is an awful lot of money, I understand that includes packing but the packing side is easily done yourself and personally I would prefer to do my own packing so I know where everything is.

If you pack yourself, lots of small boxes are better than using fewer bigger boxes for the likes of books, CDs etc as they get very heavy. Dunnes is a good spot to ask for empty boxes in good condition, particularly boxes off wine etc. Aldi / Lidl boxes are useless as they're mostly used for display and have open tops/bottoms. Bubble wrap is cheap in Dealz, 10 rolls and a few rolls of packing tape wouldnt break the bank, only your ornaments, frames and kitchen ware need wrapping.

We used a removal company affiliated with the storage facility we used. In Dublin, we paid under €500 but this which was in addition to 3 hours free that came with the storage place. We had a very full 3 bed house and garden furniture. It took from 8.45am until 4.45pm and the guys worked relentlessly and were very professional. PM if youd like their name, planning to use them again in a couple of weeks when we take everything out of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Cash_Q wrote: »
    the packing side is easily done yourself

Having done it myself, I disagree.
    personally I would prefer to do my own packing so I know where everything is.

Fair enough. But you'll have 50-100 boxes labelled with the room they came from, it's pretty hard to lose something.
    If you pack yourself, lots of small boxes are better than using fewer bigger boxes for the likes of books, CDs etc as they get very heavy.

More boxes = more time to load / unload.
    If you use a movers then more boxes = more cost (they charge more for more boxes, even if small).
    10 rolls and a few rolls of packing tape wouldnt break the bank, only your ornaments, frames and kitchen ware need wrapping.

Fair enough, but loose paper-wrapping is often the best way to protect valuables, not bubble wrap.

We used a removal company affiliated with the storage facility we used. In Dublin, we paid under €500 but this which was in addition to 3 hours free that came with the storage place. We had a very full 3 bed house and garden furniture. It took from 8.45am until 4.45pm and the guys worked relentlessly and were very professional. PM if youd like their name, planning to use them again in a couple of weeks when we take everything out of storage.

Sounds like a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Considered paying a company for our move but decided I couldn't justify the costs.

Have cleared the attic and shed of all things not to be kept, trips to recycling centre & charity shops.

Have also decluttered the house and got rid of things not be kept.

Waiting for closer to the time to pack up the rest of the stuff but it will be a lot more manageable now.

Consider hiring large plastic storage boxes (boska) deliver and collect them in various quantities.

Rental of boxes for 2 weeks and van for 2/3 days ~€600.

Minimum 1500 to bring in professionals.

Jesus that's some fierce expensive boxes. Van cost me about €40 a day from Enterprise.

Edit: I can see they're a damn site more expensive now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I packed everything myself after first filling a skip. An absolute pain in the arse of a job. Used proper moving boxes. Labelled all the boxes etc. Rented a Transit from Hertz for a few days. Got a couple of mates to load and unload.

Saved quite a bit of money probably but never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

We are moving this Thursday. From a three room, no lift duplex to a four bed house. All furniture of all rooms and living room is coming. Kitchen table too. They pack all boxes themselves. They provide insurance. All in all is 2k. Couldn’t be bothered ourselves with a2 year old running around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

We are moving this Thursday. From a three room, no lift duplex to a four bed house. All furniture of all rooms and living room is coming. Kitchen table too. They pack all boxes themselves. They provide insurance. All in all is 2k. Couldn’t be bothered ourselves with a2 year old running around

With the benefit of hindsight I'd have happily paid 2k.

Couldn’t be bothered ourselves with a2 year old running around

Packing tape, bubble wrap and a few air holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Packing tape, bubble wrap and a few air holes?

That’s an option, maybe not too many air holes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gorgonzaga

Should be an hourly rate for a local move and I can't imagine what you have would take too long. This article https://threemenandatruck.net/how-much-do-professional-movers-cost/ has some more information about it, but you can also call up any moving company and they'll either give you an estimate for what you need or quote you their hourly rate. Look up a couple local options and give them a call. They'll tell you what they charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement