Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast 2020 with Google tv

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Had considered that. The lack of long term support though kind of puts me off though. Chromecasts and Shields have always had several years of support and the Fire stick guarantees 4 years.

I think this has got longterm support. but it's gone back up now from €52 to €62. So if going for it you may want to wait for discount codes to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ended up picking up the Google TV. If Currys had the Fire Max in stock I may have gone for it. They didn't have the Google TV in stock either well they did have two showing on system but they couldn't find them! Managed to get Harvey Norman to price match the Curries €49.99 price.

Needed some thing to replace the Now Tv box its just too glitchy and slow. I'll see how I get on with the Google TV but in the long run I think I'll still upgrade to a Nvidia Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I can usually figure these things out but, maybe I'm getting old and fog-brained! I cannot get usb to work on the mecool km2 box, tried everything! I thought it would be a simple plug and play but not the case - also, how do you go about getting Live tv or the likes of BBC player to work on there? atm I have NF, Disney+ and Prime but I'd like some standard tv on side - any tips welcome ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

new firmware update now available storage and dolby and google updates included

Sorry, hadn't seen that, the new boards format. The USB - this might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6BCVFNVnw

Live TV - would need an IPTV subscription or one of the free TV apps that aren't allowed to be mentioned here.

RTE Player, TG4 Player, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Channel 4 etc. Should all be in the store, or can be sideloaded. For BBC and ITV you will need a VPN.

To move away from this thread (As it is about Chromecast) - this thread might be better - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057446012/android-dream-box-illegal-discussion-ban#latest

Have you updated? I have disable updates on mine until I see how they are.

Are there more ads now or stuff filling the homescreen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Cheers for all that, will have a look into IPTV and try figure how it works - and search the others in the play store - there was some quick update I think that I let run earlier, haven't had any adverts on the Home page yet, I've moved the main apps I use along the top so don't often scroll beyond that

Gave it a test seems to be working better maybe due to the memory optimisations and video improvements

One of the biggest gripes I have with the chromecast (apart from Ports) is the new launcher/OS. The alternative launchers bouncing around on forums aren't really reliable or trustworthy, in particular the forked or skinned ones.

Here is a new launcher and it looks like it could be a big advantage for the chromecast for those that don't like the ads or current launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The Chromecast with Google TV is now down from 69.99 to 46.99 on the Google store. I got one delivered today. Any essential app recommendations or tips for a first time user?

all depends what your wanting to do - dont load to many apps , theres not that much memory in it

• Advertisement

a new firmware update available . cant but help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

When oh when will the fecking BBC get around to releasing an Android TV app that's 4K enabled ffs.

I know, but that would require me to dive back into Amazon's ecosystem when the house is all Google/Nest. I have three Nest Cameras, two Audios, a thermostat, a Nest Hub and am planning on a Pixel as my next phone 🤣🤣🤣🤣

i Just have to use my firestick 4k max , simply because its way better for sound , video , apps etc

Feck it, I'll go for it. I have a Samsung QLED, so better for HDR10 etc. I'm based in Spain so will have to sideload the iPlayer. Presume Fire TV version is available from likes of APK mirror etc?

You change your address to uk and you can install uk apps . you can do the same and get us apps nbc , abc fox etc. then just stick on your vpn there are guides online to help if you find them that way they update themselves also

its a lot harder to do that on chromecast

Ah great, I have Prime both here in Spain and in the UK, so hopefully no issues.

Chromecast is a pain in the ass because you're tied to your Play Store region, even when "abroad".

prime would go on the vpn area your using any issues just clear cache / data maybe and should be fine

thats a big advantage of the firestick i use uk and usa apps in ireland thal all auto update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Does bbc iPlayer work without a VPN?

no you need a vpn if your not in england but vpn apps are in the store and east to load up . all4 on the firestick is also a better app . vpn gets you access to apps from usa uk etc etc so it is worth having

Yeah, no native All4 app for Android/Google TV is shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Channel 4 streaming app more 4 e4 etc . and theres more 5 channel 5 stuff which is like that aswell

All4 is absolutely fantastic for Ch. 4 back catalogue of comedy in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Can someone list must have apps for chromecast tv? Got main ones up and ready but typing at times is painful

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

If you have the Google Home app on your phone or tablet, add your Chromecast 2020 and select it from the main page of the app there is an option to use your phone as a remote. It will let you type using your phone’s keyboard. Alternatively you can use Google play store website to search for apps and install apps on your Chromecast from there. In terms of apps it has virtually every app as android except for all 4, now tv and sky go. Chromecast 2020 uses Google TV which is meant to be the successor to Android TV but some apps such as All 4, Now TV etc have not been optimised for it and are still incompatible with it. Personally I use the big apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Prime Video. I also use Discovery+, Paramount+, VLC for stuff I have taken off old DVD’s and Starz Play. I have been using Starz Play a lot recently. Some excellent shows on it. On a side note Discovery+ shows now appears in the continue watching section. Hopefully Prime Video and other apps will be updated to work with the Home Screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

The new chromecast with google HD looks interesting for €39.99

its less powerful and the current one no 4k support - you could get a 4k firestick for not much more

i think the new hd chromecast is the biggest waste of time ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

I'll let you know during the week. iv one on the way for a family member to run kodi and iptv. She already has the 4k so will be easy to compare. It's for a teenagers bedroom so doesn't have to be shield quality or 4k.so hopefully a cheap way of doing it

• Advertisement

Installed the latest Android 12 update . it seems to gove a bit more life and options to the device for them that still use it

Advertisement