Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macOS 10.15 Catalina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Would like a preview of the OS to see the pros and cons..
    Anyone know an alternative to iTunes that has same feel have a massive digital collection and attached to iTunes basic layout and features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

10.5.3 is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Haven’t updated yet. Is it worth doing now?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Took the plunge and updated yesterday. It went smoothly, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Gonna upgrade my HD first and then try it

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

10.15.4 is out.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

10.15.4 is out.

Installed it and it breaks Keepass XC for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

One of the two USB-C ports on my MacBook Pro stopped working after the update. Tried difference cables/devices to make sure it was the port but nothing was recognised. An SMC reset eventually sorted the issue out and it's working again. Strange one though, in the 10 years I've been using macOS this is the first time I've ever had to try reset the SMC to fix an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

My iStat menu isn't working after the latest update 10.15.4. Anyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

Pain in my ring with this.

• Advertisement

A few times lately I've come back after an hour or two and my iMac's shut itself off completely. There is some sort of error report, but I wasn't able to grab the details to Google it.

OSI wrote: »
    Applications -> Utilities -> Console

Have a poke through the logs in there.

Crash Reports - Garmin Express from June 2019.
    Spin Reports - nothing.
    Log Reports - Some stuff from midday yesterday - Aside from Dropbox and One Drive, there's displaypolicyd.log and IMDPersistenceMerge.og
    Diagnostic reports - plugin container, wakeup diags?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Crash Reports - Garmin Express from June 2019.
    Spin Reports - nothing.
    Log Reports - Some stuff from midday yesterday - Aside from Dropbox and One Drive, there's displaypolicyd.log and IMDPersistenceMerge.og
    Diagnostic reports - plugin container, wakeup diags?

Catalina?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Catalina?

Yep, 10.5.4, incl. the supplemental update that went out recently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had that, constant Kernel Panics multiple times a day, but it was from the start with Catalina. KPs are gone, but everything else about that software is sh*t.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Are you using an older machine by any chance? Can't say I've any any major issues with 10.15. During the first release I had the dock disappear once, restart fixed it. Other than that it's been easy going, but I've a new machine so could be the reason why I've had no issues.

Funny enough, booting up is now a lot faster than Mohave for me too, used to stay on the black screen with the Apple logo for a good lot longer than it does now.

Missed this post, DubDJ.

Had it on a 2017 MBP. I was always sorry I sold my Mac mini as the base station, so I bought a 2014 one second hand. Perfect nick, 250MG SSD instead of 500GB HD. Similar problems. I decided it was too little RAM was probably causing it, so I bought a 2017 21.5 iMac. Still the same. Did nunerous re-installs on all machines, and eventually I start fresh with theiMac. Still a total POS. Takes about 15 minutes from startup to access a webpage, or any app. Spinning beachballs constantly. Tried to open 40 Keynote single pages at once......went away had my dinner and came back and still hadn't opened them. I had to shut down, and only run that process. By the looks of it, I'm not the only one......

Tidbits

The Register

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Missed this post, DubDJ.

Had it on a 2017 MBP. I was always sorry I sold my Mac mini as the base station, so I bought a 2014 one second hand. Perfect nick, 250MG SSD instead of 500GB HD. Similar problems. I decided it was too little RAM was probably causing it, so I bought a 2017 21.5 iMac. Still the same. Did nunerous re-installs on all machines, and eventually I start fresh with theiMac. Still a total POS. Takes about 15 minutes from startup to access a webpage, or any app. Spinning beachballs constantly. Tried to open 40 Keynote single pages at once......went away had my dinner and came back and still hadn't opened them. I had to shut down, and only run that process. By the looks of it, I'm not the only one......

Tidbits

The Register

What I do regularly is completely wipe the Mac and start with a fresh re-install, just copy over individual files. So maybe that's the reason I tend not to run up against these sorts or problems. I know everyone hasn't got the same option but I had no issue running it on a 2016 and 2019 MBP.

Same again over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Finally updated my Mac Mini 2014 to Catalina last night. I had put in a 500GB SSD myself previously (not straightforward if you look at iFixit!!). However and for whatever reason the version of Mojave on the drive was HFS and therefore I couldn't do an in situ update to Catalina as the drive was not formatted APFS. Had to do a clean install with a full restore afterwards from Time Machine.

I'm actually glad I did this. Boot time has halved (even with an SSD!!) and everything is back in sync with my MacBook Pro and iDevices.

Bit of a faff all the same!!

I think it's trying to do it all the time now. Wake from sleep and Safari's closed. Firefox is trying to, but can't because it asks if I want to close the tabs. And TextEdit prompts. Very strange.

• Advertisement

I think it's trying to do it all the time now. Wake from sleep and Safari's closed. Firefox is trying to, but can't because it asks if I want to close the tabs. And TextEdit prompts. Very strange.

I think I stopped it by doing a fresh install of Catalina. Some suggestions that Apple banjaxed the installer by not taking into account different firmware versions, so if you just installed over the previous OS, you got these errors. If you wiped the drive, and started from scratch it seemed to be ok.

I uninstalled all 3rd party hardware controllers, such as Logitech and DisplayLink (Dock and extra monitor controller). With them installed it was taking 5-6 minutes from pressing restart in finder to at least seeing Mail(which is unuseable for another 5-6 minutes). Restart now takes about 3 minutes, with the same additional time for Mail.
    I ran DFA on the normal HD and it is what you would expect. When I run it on the data -HD it can take 30-40 minutes to run. It seems like the startup disk is corrupted. Still constant spinning beach balls, apps freezing.
    The strange thing is, I initially had all this on a MBP 2017 with 8GB ram. I bought a s/h Mini 2014 with 4GB ram. Both of these had exactly the same problems as the iMac above, Both now work flawlessly, despite me not doing fresh installs on them. On the iMac I ended up doing a completely fresh install and wiping of the disks, and I'm still getting the problems. Looks like I'll have to start again and install any apps one at a time to see what is causing the problems.

I think I stopped it by doing a fresh install of Catalina. Some suggestions that Apple banjaxed the installer by not taking into account different firmware versions, so if you just installed over the previous OS, you got these errors. If you wiped the drive, and started from scratch it seemed to be ok.

Thanks, sounds like a project for the weekend. Time Machine back up and simply go from there?Safari is staying open for now ish. No real pattern to it that I can see. Haven't checked the logs as I don't really know what to look for but no more crash reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I uninstalled all 3rd party hardware controllers, such as Logitech and DisplayLink (Dock and extra monitor controller). With them installed it was taking 5-6 minutes from pressing restart in finder to at least seeing Mail(which is unuseable for another 5-6 minutes). Restart now takes about 3 minutes, with the same additional time for Mail.
    I ran DFA on the normal HD and it is what you would expect. When I run it on the data -HD it can take 30-40 minutes to run. It seems like the startup disk is corrupted. Still constant spinning beach balls, apps freezing.
    The strange thing is, I initially had all this on a MBP 2017 with 8GB ram. I bought a s/h Mini 2014 with 4GB ram. Both of these had exactly the same problems as the iMac above, Both now work flawlessly, despite me not doing fresh installs on them. On the iMac I ended up doing a completely fresh install and wiping of the disks, and I'm still getting the problems. Looks like I'll have to start again and install any apps one at a time to see what is causing the problems.

Is it the entry-level 2017 iMac?
    If so, those Hitachi (HGST) HDD Apple use tend to be the bottle neck on these machines.

Is it the entry-level 2017 iMac?
    If so, those Hitachi (HGST) HDD Apple use tend to be the bottle neck on these machines.

It is, but they can't be that slow, or there would have been a class action lawsuit. I'm talking spinning for 2-10 minutes, apps freezing. Also the Mini and MBP have SSD and suffered the exact same problems. Word could go 20 bounces in the dock every time. Plus add in the amount of time it takes to run DFA on the startup HD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds to me like your hdd is failing.

Sounds to me like your hdd is failing.

At 6 weeks old? That would be very unlucky. Too many stories of similar performance around Catalina.

Did a clean install for the 2nd time. Old school, one app install at a time, restart between installs. Schoolboy error to do loads at once. So far, so good. A bit slow starting up, the joys of a HDD, rather than SSD. I'll probably get that changed when all this dies down. I seem to be lucky compared to some of the people that bought really expensive machines and had constant KPs with them.

What's the best way to manage cloud storage if you're doing a fresh install? I've OneDrive with Office. Just trying to think how it would re-sync stuff without making a muck of it.

Using about 65GB at the moment.

Gah, can't even create a memory stick installer. Terminal's telling me to look at this. https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT208050

Really haven't a clue what I'm doing. Always been wary of Terminal. Getting stuck.
    Last login: Wed Apr 29 19:05:25 on ttys000
    tbo@TBOs-iMac ~ % --volume
    zsh: command not found: --volume
    tbo@TBOs-iMac ~ %

And zsh: permission denied

Sigh

• Advertisement

OK, if I can't do the USB option and just use the Catalina installer in Applications will that work anyway - not a clean install? Paper over the cracks, then do a clean install, assuming I don't run into any more errors above.

Advertisement