Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to upgrade to android software when not supported by manufacturer

Options
  • 24-11-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I have a phone that the manufacturer doesn't support anymore with software updates and they haven't pushed out the software update for android 7.0 nugoat.

Is there anyway that I can install android.7.0 on the phone myself.

I like the phone but would also like the split screen of Android 7.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭corkie

1. You didn't say what device you have?
    2. Can the bootloader be unlocked easily?
    3. If yes to 2, Flash a custom rom on it.

Check XDA threads for your device.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

corkie wrote: »
    1. You didn't say what device you have?
    2. Can the bootloader be unlocked easily?
    3. If yes to 2, Flash a custom rom on it.

Check XDA threads for your device.
    How do unlock the boot loader.

It's a hauwei and they use emui 5.0.
    Could it be a possibility that the phone hardware can't take the new softwear

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Going on your posting style this may be a little above your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

ED E wrote: »

Try and explain it.
    Maybe ill be able to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

kala85 wrote: »

Emui 5 supports up to android 7.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe answer corkies first question.....

kala85 wrote: »

ED E wrote: »

Hauwei is just the OEM name, it is the same as saying you have a "Ford" Car.

What Model? If unlocking the bootloader is even achievable and versions of rom will depend on that.

Also if you bought direct from a Network provider, unlocking may not be possible.

Again put your Make + Model into an XDA search.

Or you might find your device here.

If posting for help on XDA, please try to provide as much information as possible, so people can assist you.

You may get away with lack of details here, but xda is not as friendly at times.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

If posting for help on XDA, please try to provide as much information as possible, so people can assist you.

You may get away with lack of details here, but xda is not as friendly at times.

As a long time user and contributor on XDA, I found it quite funny when I joined boards that you could ask any question without even bothering to solve it yourself, or do a little bit of reading.

I can even post OT like this without getting any grief :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Eh, they were openly insulted after only 4 posts.

Though true, the wanker level on XDA is off the charts compared to most forums.

XDA is a technical forum for android development, not an open forum for eejits. That's probably why.

@OP did you get sorted?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Can i just update the security patch without flashing a rom? Says Dec 16...
    It's a htc one m9

Yeah but that isn't an open invitation to be an absolute bollix to people though. What mainstays of a forum like XDA forget is that some people have so start somewhere. They're like some arsehole that drives on the bumper of an L driver flashing the lights.

Yup, you start by reading. If you've done all the reading and searching, and nobody else has ever asked your question, then you ask. It has to be this way, or you're reading endless pages of repeated questions which have been answered a couple of posts above. That's how boards is.

I have plenty of threads on xda, and answering the same question a million times even when the answer is in the OP can become a little tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Huawei rom install for dummies

Download update
    Put in a dload folder on sd card
    Turn off phone
    Hold down power and both volume buttons
    SHOULD come up with a black screen with emui icon
    Wait few minutes ,circle will go around and there's percentage indicator
    If it failed its usually aroubd 25 percent,then restart and phone should work as normal
    If worked will reboot,takes a while to load,then you've to connect to Wi-Fi,log into Google restore apps and settings etc

All in all if you know what you're doing and use a paid app called titanium backup,takes about two hours.

But seen as you don't ,I'd be thinking twice,do you want to end up with a phone missing a setting you can't remember or an app not working like you had it

Peatys wrote: »
    Can i just update the security patch without flashing a rom? Says Dec 16...
    It's a htc one m9

If your OEM has provided an update for your device, then you don't need to flash custom roms to get the latest version. If the OEM is no longer providing updates like in the OP, then custom roms maybe required to get latest patches.
    jeffk wrote: »
    Huawei rom install for dummies

Download update
    Put in a dload folder on sd card
    Turn off phone
    Hold down power and both volume buttons
    SHOULD come up with a black screen with emui icon
    Wait few minutes ,circle will go around and there's percentage indicator
    If it failed its usually aroubd 25 percent,then restart and phone should work as normal
    If worked will reboot,takes a while to load,then you've to connect to Wi-Fi,log into Google restore apps and settings etc

All well and good, but the OP said that the OEM is not providing updates for whatever model device the OP has.

If the update is in dload folder is it an automatic process after using the Key Combo?

That's another step by step that's very presumptuous and it's the main problem with all the guides out there. They all presume you're doing stuff like this all day every day and there's not a proper beginners guide that actually exists.

That's because things change all the time. Google changes things, OEMs change things, techniques used for rooting and flashing change all the time. If you're going to do any of this stuff, you need to invest a lot of time and effort to make sure you know what you're doing, or you can end up with an expensive paperweight.

On top of that, if you're not on a device with a decent dev community, then support is going to be very limited.

We will see how all this stuff improves with project treble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I got a Huawei on three,its about three updates behind say Spain,I managed to upgrade it using my guide with no issues

Htcmania is great for huawei, there's tweaked stock roms on it

If it sounds too hard ,like people said do homework or leave it unless you want a paperweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If your OEM has provided an update for your device, then you don't need to flash custom roms to get the latest version. If the OEM is no longer providing updates like in the OP, then custom roms maybe required to get latest patches.

HTC USA have an update on their website from April 17, but when i click on check for updates, the phone reckons I'm on the latest software, December 16

Peatys wrote: »
    HTC USA have an update on their website from April 17, but when i click on check for updates, the phone reckons I'm on the latest software, December 16

That could be down to your Network Provider, if you got it from one not providing or passing on the update.

• Advertisement
Advertisement