Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€200 sim free phone - Suggestions wanted

• 04-05-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

My old galaxy i9000 has just about seen enough action, spluttering along on its last legs now and it's time to upgrade.
    I don't want a contract and have a nice sim only deal at present (montly contract, so can go with a contract deal if I really have to).
    I'm looking for an upgrade on the i9000, but I don't need top of the range or the most modern phone out there. Essentially I want a phone similar in size to the i9000, with better (or at least removable) battery, I don't want to spend more than €200 on the phone and I'm struggling not least because of the amount of options and the difficulty in trying to make comparison. I mainly use the phone for browsing, very little downloading, talking or watching videos etc, but I browse a lot and often have a few screens open at once.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

The I9000 was a top-of-the-range phone in its day and as an owner of one myself, I couldn't agree more, it's so tired today.

€200 doesn't really get you much SIM-free. Even the Nexus 4 would set you back nearly €100 more for the 8GB model.

I bought one recently but before the Nexus 4 became a viable option, I was often checking eBay and Adverts.ie for good second-hand deals on things like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, etc. Even a S II wouldn't be a bad thing as it still has some punch. Plus you can root it to give it some extra adrenaline. At 4.3" it's not a massive amount bigger, but it has the same resolution as the original S and the pixel density does go down a bit as a result. My mother has one and there is still quite a difference in terms of the speed and responsiveness compared to my S. Some people are getting €150 for the S even today, second-hand, so you see why €200 won't do much for you brand-new without signing your wallet over once a month to one of the carriers.

I'm sure there are other worthy competitors out there, but if you're just looking for a sweet phone for €200, my advice is to consider a good-quality second-hand model. I understand not wanting to spend more and at the same time not wanting a contract that gives you nothing you want for €40 or more a month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You could get 100+ for the galaxy s on eBay if it's in decent nick do work that into the budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I know it's an old model too but it can still cut it well so how about a clean secondhand s2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

You could get 100+ for the galaxy s on eBay if it's in decent nick do work that into the budget

Good call, not sure how much my bate up model would achieve though!

Thanks for the suggestions all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Why does it need to be sim free?
    Can you not just buy a phone and unlock it? If you like the look of something that is locked to a network check if it can be unlocked. It's generally very easy and if it does cost its almost always less than a tenner or there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I picked up a S3 Mini on Adverts this weekend, keep an eye out there and you might pick up something, once you don't mind it being second hand of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Good call, not sure how much my bate up model would achieve though!

Thanks for the suggestions all.
    I was looking for one a few months back to run some tv out functions off and I found it impossible to get a working one for under 100 so its certainly worth selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Why does it need to be sim free?
    Can you not just buy a phone and unlock it? If you like the look of something that is locked to a network check if it can be unlocked. It's generally very easy and if it does cost its almost always less than a tenner or there abouts.

It's not the unlocking that's the problem, it's just that I didn't want to be locked into a contract.

I'm thinking maybe the S3 mini might be the solution, worst case scenario, three do it on a 12 month contract which might work out a decent buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    It's not the unlocking that's the problem, it's just that I didn't want to be locked into a contract.

I'm thinking maybe the S3 mini might be the solution, worst case scenario, three do it on a 12 month contract which might work out a decent buy.

You can get the S3 mini on Vodafone prepay for 205 if you do it right. Then you could unlock and use it as you wish. http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-blue

If you port a number to Vodafone they will give you 20 euro off the phone. It doesn't have to be your main number,you can get a free sim from another network and port that number. If you buy online via www.fatcheese.ie you will get 24 euro cash back for a new connection,which it will be if you port a number over. You have to wait around 3 months to get your fatcheese cash back but it comes eventually.

Advertisement