Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of Sony reciever and Philips CD player

Options
  • 27-08-2020 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

New to this section and hope this is the right protocol.

I gave someone a hand clearing out her late uncle's house before the skip comes tomorrow. As thanks she gave me, amongst other things, two units.

1. Sony stereo receiver str-6040

2. Philips cd 150/65

I've no use for them myself and was going to put them on Donedeal or something.

Could anybody give me a ball park figure as to what they'd be worth?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Donedeal only gives you 1 month free listing

Adverts is longer.

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/vintage-sony-str-6040-fm-am-radio-stereo-receiver/16978210

https://www.vintagechief.com/philips-cd-150-cd-player-21761

Prices differ in what quality the item is in and what comes with it.

I like to see items reused if working and not dumped as there might be a market out there for them as they are repairables like vcr.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They look to be immaculate although there's no RC with the CD player.

My understanding is they were working fine up till he died 2 months ago. He was in his 80s and loved his music. I'll plug them in tomorrow and see what they sound like.

Old stuff can be better than whats out now as you hear music as the way it was supposed to be heard.

Two speakers as well. No brand name and they weigh about 8 kg each. They look hand made. If they sound good and I can convince the mrs I might set up the Sony thing in the kitchen.

The CD player can go.

Just going by a quick google the Sony is from the 70s and the Philips is from the 80s. Whatever happens, I'm glad I saved them from the skip.

I sent up the receiver and speakers in the kitchen. The sound quality is amazing. Plugged the TV into the aux.

I'll be keeping it.

There's also a Garrard turntable. I haven't seen it yet but I'll get it today and see what it's like.

• Advertisement

Lucky you did you look for remotes and instructions as if i was selling stuff they would be with it.
    Wonder what other goodies he has.

Unfortunately no. THe only manual I have is with the Sony receiver and I'm keeping that.

No joy finding the remote for the CD deck either. It says "remote enabled" on the front so maybe the remote was optional.

I picked up the turntable and it's a Garrard "Model SP 25 MK III. Other than a bit of dust is seems to be in good nick.

Also I got a PYE Dundrum radio. AC Mains Model Type P 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Garrard is for the bin. It was the budgetiest then, and likely hasn’t improved with age.

Stick it up on adverts. It’ll be ignored by people who like to listen to records, but probably right up the alley of somebody who ‘collects vinyls’. Worth about a tenner, but they’ll probably pay you more. Because it’s old vintage....

Thanks endacl.
    Kinda figured by looking at it that it was nothing special. I know a few lads that are into vinyl. If any of them want it thay can have it. Cost me nothing and I'm sure I'll get a few pints in return when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That Garrard was my first deck in the 80's. Wasn't long before it was replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement