Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain taken but no in use?

Options
  • 25-04-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello, I wanted to set up a site for myself. Coincidentally, my name ends in ie so looked it up (e.g. Jimm.ie). It's registered to a company on the other side of the world called (say they're called Jimm). They don't operate in Ireland or anywhere else other than their base country and have been purchasing rights to the domain for 20 years. There is nothing on the site (Jimm.ie would be another example of what it's like), looks like they've bought the jimm name in every domain, but don't use any of them (apart from in their home country).

Is there anyway to get that domain from them if they're not using it? I have no rights to the domain and I'm not starting a business or anything, legally I guess I have no rights to it over anyone else. But can someone purchase a domain indefinitely and never use it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

You can always contact the owner and try to buy the domain off them. Buying to reserve and eventually sell on domain names is a significant business in the internet world.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

You could try contacting the IEDR. .ie domains are one of the well managed TLDs.

From their requirements:
    Connection to the island of Ireland – .ie is Ireland’s domain extension. It is Ireland’s online address and as such, all .ie domain holders must be either based2 in the island of Ireland or have a real connection to the island of Ireland.

Evidence of this base or connection can be a company’s Irish3 CRO number,
    Revenue VAT number, registered business number.

Evidence from a sole trader/partnership could be an Irish VAT number in their
    own name(s), or proof of their business or Irish income tax registration.

Evidence from an Irish trademark holder could be the trademark number
    or a digital copy of the trademark certificate.

Evidence from an individual could be a digital copy of the Irish driver’s license
    or Irish passport.

Your name is a completely valid reason for wanting a .ie domain.

Re:
    You can always contact the owner and try to buy the domain off them. Buying to reserve and eventually sell on domain names is a significant business in the internet world.

They used to block the sale of .ie domains AFAIK (as it encourages cybersquatting). Quite disappointed to see they do this now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Looked up the company there. To be fair, even though it's a country with no stake in Ireland, it's massive where it is. Not really a household name, but still big. Saw they had a company registered here, but it dissolved in 2005, no links now that I can see.

It's not really my given name that I want, more a nickname, think actuallylike.ie. Still though, might get onto those people you mentioned. It's certainly never been used, doesn't look like it will be used. Mind you, they could put up a redirect to their international page if they get challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sounds like they might be doing trademark protection in which case they will be very unlikely to budge.

hmmm, maybe it wasn't an international company. Looking a bit more, there was an Irish company that was open for 5 years, from 2000 to 2005 with the exact same name (and business too). Not sure if they're linked, but the company is dissolved, no contact info. I guess the Irish link is made anyway. I've emailed IEDR and I'll see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Can someone purchase a domain indefinitely and never use it?
    Yes.

In this case they're just protecting their brand but let me know how you get on with IEDR.

Years ago I complained about www.cake.ie being used on a site with no relation to Ireland and didn't get far.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yes.

In this case they're just protecting their brand but let me know how you get on with IEDR.

I've emailed them and they were very helpful. They're requesting a letter from a solicitor with the companies headed paper showing that the company is active in Ireland (which it isn't). I'll report back with any new details.

Update:
    They've sent supporting documentation and have kept the domain. Well this construction company operating thousands of miles away has just lost a customer!

Advertisement