Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most unexpectedly useful tool?

Options
  • 05-08-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭

This is mine.

It's not even particularly well made, once you've slid out the ruler it's really fiddly to get back in again.

But I use it ridiculously often.

What else am I missing from my life?

image.png

https://www.axminstertools.com/ie/veritas-sliding-square-475300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

My most unexpectedly useful tool, and it's not even a proper tool, is a child's hand mirror. It's incredibly useful when trying to see what's below the floor boards, behind kitchen cabinets or underneath a car, etc., and it only cost me about €2.

w09_ms1718_p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

It's not that the tool itself is unexpectedly useful, because I think most people would agree that it's very useful.

It's more that I find unexpected uses for it. I use it more than I ever thought I would.

71j0nZ0NfyL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Spring loaded centre punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm going to cheat a little- I've got two, well one is home made so does that even count?

First up is my "magnetic pick up tool", made from a piece of plastic air line with a neodymium magnet pushed in one end. Such a simple thing but so handy- replacing loose bearings in a bicycle hub? Use this to fish out the old bearings, especially when they drop down into the centre! Picking up small screws and parts, fishing out pieces of metal from the sweepings in the dustpan, removing loose swarf after drilling steel etc.

The other item is my BOEHM hollow punch kit which I bought many years ago for a specific project, it was expensive then but eye wateringly so now. Great for making washers, gaskets, craftwork with leather, plastic, card and plastic films. So useful for repairs and the like. It's not an everyday tool but nothing else can do what it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 naraicjul

Hi BrownFinger,

That "tool".....what exactly do you use it for - is it for sharpening tools, knives?

Any other uses?

Cheers!

I bought it for grinding welds on my classic car but seem to use it all the time now.
    Its a mini belt sander so any wood work like laminate floors or skirting .
    I've used to when tiling to take the sharp edges off , made holes in electrical back boxes bigger to accept wavin pipes.
    the amount of material it can remove in seconds is unbelievable !

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

My Drill Pro precision marking rule/square.

Measures accurately to the mm. Soothes the compulsive need for accurate markings. Never knew I needed it, but now use it all the time.

Drill pro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

cletus wrote: »
    It's not that the tool itself is unexpectedly useful, because I think most people would agree that it's very useful.

It's more that I find unexpected uses for it. I use it more than I ever thought I would.

71j0nZ0NfyL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Have to agree. Don't use mine often, but when needed is invaluable. Had to measure the diameter of my bike handlebars last week for new grips. Your only man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

KIGBR1030L_600x.jpg?v=1578494064

Screwdriver, bottle opener, grout pointer, filler spat etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement