Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Courses -- Parttime and physical

Options
  • 03-08-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am looking for part-time evening DIY course in Kildare. Something that teaches you the basics (e.g. removing/reconnecting a radiator, or fixing a toilet) but would allow to progress to intermediate stuff like putting in a floor, or plastering, etc.

Although difficult to think about that right now, but would prefer something that does not run online ;)

Can you recommend good platforms to find courses like that?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Like an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Like an apprenticeship?

A place where you can go to learn and practise skills with a few hours effort a week on a continued basis. I don't want to start a career on it, but learn by practising with people who know what they do.

I don't think this type of course exists unfortunately.
    Have you a project in mind ?
    I've 2 trades (sparks+machinist) and spent 3 years working for a cabinet maker when I was younger so I'm fairly handy but still do most of my learning on YouTube!!
    Fitted a herringbone laminate floor last week and found that tough but YouTube showed me the way.
    Plumbing still gives me the fear because I'm not used to imperial units at all, especially when they mix them with metric sizes.

I always say that having tools is half the battle.
    You can't do anything without the tools!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Any local men's sheds, some of them can be good with a mix of individuals and associated skills. Never been to one but would like to think it could be something along the lines of someone brings down their old and problematic lawnmower and the group disassembles and services it and all learn in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭cletus

Any local men's sheds, some of them can be good with a mix of individuals and associated skills. Never been to one but would like to think it could be something along the lines of someone brings down their old and problematic lawnmower and the group disassembles and services it and all learn in the process.

Some of them may be like that, but my local one is more along the lines of 'here's the space you need for that project you're doing', then you burst on and do whatever it is you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

check the schools and FETAC collages some definitely do have DIY / Plumbing / Carpentry etc evening classes for adults.
    The choices will depend on where you are in the country.

Advertisement