Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lawn mower won't start

• 25-07-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

looking for some advice. I have a lawn mower with a briggs and stratton Instant Start battery. It was working perfectly up to last weekend. I had the mower on its side for 10 minutes while I was cleaning it. When I turned it back and tried to start it, the engine clicked but wouldn't start. The lights on the battery were flashing and it got very warm as I tried to start it a few times. I left it a week and tried again this morning, but still won't start. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the battery or whether something happened while it was on its side.

50151262431_9694b59510_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

chewed wrote: »
    looking for some advice. I have a lawn mower with a briggs and stratton Instant Start battery. It was working perfectly up to last weekend. I had the mower on its side for 10 minutes while I was cleaning it. When I turned it back and tried to start it, the engine clicked but wouldn't start. The lights on the battery were flashing and it got very warm as I tried to start it a few times. I left it a week and tried again this morning, but still won't start. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the battery or whether something happened while it was on its side.

50151262431_9694b59510_z.jpg

Find the starter motor and give it a couple of light taps with a hammer while trying to start it. Sounds like it’s stuck. If it starts and happens again you will need a new starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Callan

Have you checked the air filter? It's possible oil may have soaked it if you tilted the mower with the air filter facing the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks guys. I'll check both of these tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks guys. I'll check both of these tomorrow

Might be worth checking the battery too, might need a charge.

Callan wrote: »
    Have you checked the air filter? It's possible oil may have soaked it if you tilted the mower with the air filter facing the ground.

I checked the air filter and it was covered in oil. It was one of those paper filters. I've ordered a new one, so hopefully that might fix it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Callan

I checked the air filter and it was covered in oil. It was one of those paper filters. I've ordered a new one, so hopefully that might fix it. Thanks

You could try turn the engine over without the air filter installed to confirm.

Callan wrote: »
    You could try turn the engine over without the air filter installed to confirm.

Thanks Callan. I didn't know I could do that. Just tried it there and unfortunately same issue! I've included a video of me starting it below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Thanks Callan. I didn't know I could do that. Just tried it there and unfortunately same issue! I've included a video of me starting it below.

Chewed, that sounds like the starter. Had a Cortina where the teeth on the spindle wore down, so it would jam. There was a lug on the motor you could turn with a spanner to get you going.

Kinda miss that "seat of ya pants" motoring - no use as a getaway car though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take the sparkplug out and crank it over, sounds like the cylinder is full of oil and could be hydrolocking it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Take the sparkplug out and crank it over, sounds like the cylinder is full of oil and could be hydrolocking it.

Sorry, as a complete Luddite to engines, what to do mean by "crank it over"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Try and start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Try starting it.

With no plug, the battery will still try to turn the starter motor.

If it turns over like it is trying to start, then the cylinder was flooded with oil or fuel.

Watch out for any liquid that may shoot out from the spark plug hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Try tilting it up and elevating the front wheels for a few minutes, worked on mine last year when mine wouldn't start after being on it's side. I don't know why that worked, but mower is starting ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGF_ynkc3C0

Same happened my Lidl/Aldi mower like that , I had to clean carb just like the video and mower is flying again.

I went out and bought a spark plug socket wrench. It doesn't fit! :(

How do I know what size wrench I need? The Spark plug I have is an XC92YC spark plug, so would i be right in assuming this is a 14mm size?

SUCCESS! :D

Turns out it was a 16mm wrench. I removed the spark plug and started it and a bit of oil spluttered out. I then replaced the plug and it started fine.

There was quite a bit of smoke and oil dripping, but I assume this will calm down as the oil is being ejected?

Thanks a million for your tips and advice guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

SUCCESS! :D

Turns out it was a 16mm wrench. I removed the spark plug and started it and a bit of oil spluttered out. I then replaced the plug and it started fine.

There was quite a bit of smoke and oil dripping, but I assume this will calm down as the oil is being ejected?

Thanks a million for your tips and advice guys!

Make sure you monitor the oil level once it has finished vomiting it out and then topup as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

What does it mean when the spark plug is fouled up? I fixed up a Pro-User petrol 5.5hp power washer recently but it cuts out occasionally. Brand new spark plug it it but it always seems to be jet black with carbon deposite/sutt. Do I need to open the cylinder head and clean inside - I've tried everything else including fresh fuel (and tank cleaning), carb cleaning, new fuel filter and line.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Papa Bear - idk, but take a look at this guy, he knows his stuff as far as small engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

ok Purgative thanks for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement