Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not everyone are on the BLM bandwagon
    Muhammad Ali’s son says dad would have hated ‘racist’ Black Lives Matter
    The legendary boxer and activist stood up against racism throughout his life, but Muhammad Ali Jr. says his dad would have been sickened by how the protests have turned to violence and looting after the death of George Floyd.

“Don’t bust up s–t, don’t trash the place,” he told The Post. “You can peacefully protest.

‘‘My father would have said, ‘They ain’t nothing but devils.’ My father said, ‘All lives matter.’ I don’t think he’d agree.”

Of the BLM movement, Ali Jr., a Muslim like his father, said: “I think it’s racist.”
    https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/muhammad-alis-son-says-he-wouldve-hated-black-lives-matters/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Just wait until the crimes rates rise in certain cities...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a clip on FB where one of the ex cops was in a supermarket getting food and some loudmouth started shouting at him calling him a murderer, said he shot Floyd amd then that he stood in his neck.

The guy has to get food and he will have to answer for what happened when the case comes before the courts but I don't agree with following people around and harassing them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

look how quiet this thread is now,

I said last week people are tired of the protests, the hyping by the media, and like everything else, your average person is getting fed up of this now.

Continuing to protest that turn violent is serving no purpose, in fact I firmly believe, the longer it continues the more damage is does than good.
    I know some people will go on about people having the right to protest and I have no issue with peaceful protests, I believe in equality, but any decent person who is defending protests that turn violent is not in a position to criticize anything, and are as much of the problem as those committing violent acts.

Were I protesting and it became violent or broke the law, i would be out the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Saw a clip on FB where one of the ex cops was in a supermarket getting food and some loudmouth started shouting at him calling him a murderer, said he shot Floyd amd then that he stood in his neck.

The guy has to get food and he will have to answer for what happened when the case comes before the courts but I don't agree with following people around and harassing them

Agree. At least one of the cops was only on the force a few days when the incident happened.
    Viewing him in the same way as Chauvin is not helping anyone.

Part of the reason a problem remains within police forces is because new entrants feel obligated to behave in a certain way. If they felt they could call out unreasonable behavior without consequences then it would go a long way towards changing negative cultures.

• Advertisement

Agree. At least one of the cops was only on the force a few days when the incident happened.
    Viewing him in the same way as Chauvin is not helping anyone.

Part of the reason a problem remains within police forces is because new entrants feel obligated to behave in a certain way. If they felt they could call out unreasonable behavior without consequences then it would go a long way towards changing negative cultures.

Thats the guy she went after, I felt bad for him he was only doing a bit of shopping and she made sure everyone knew who he was shouting around the place and making wild accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I said last week people are tired of the protests, the hyping by the media, and like everything else, your average person is getting fed up of this now.

If it were Antifa murdering cops instead of the far right, I'd wager this thread would be a whoooole lot busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

biko wrote: »
    This is how you do it:
    Block cars at intersection
    Approach with guns
    If someone gets scared and takes off - open fire!

So basically the tactic that George Zimmerman used to get away with the murder of an unarmed black kid?

Continuing to protest that turn violent is serving no purpose, in fact I firmly believe, the longer it continues the more damage is does than good.
    I know some people will go on about people having the right to protest and I have no issue with peaceful protests, I believe in equality, but any decent person who is defending protests that turn violent is not in a position to criticize anything, and are as much of the problem as those committing violent acts.

Were I protesting and it became violent or broke the law, i would be out the gap.

Why should they stop protesting just because your attention span can't deal with it? If they followed what you're proposing then none of the great civil rights efforts would have happened in the US. Some Irish people believe MLK gave a speech and that was that.

We're not even a month into these protests yet, see how they compare to some during the Civil Rights era.
    • The Greensboro sit-ins - 6 months
    • The Freedom Rides - 7 months
    • The Montgomery Bus Boycott - 382 days
    • The Birmingham Campaign - 37 days

On your point about violent protests, there are far more videos of police using excessive or illegal levels of violence than any protesters carrying it out. Why aren't their colleagues 'out the gap'?

Thats the guy she went after, I felt bad for him he was only doing a bit of shopping and she made sure everyone knew who he was shouting around the place and making wild accusations.

Poor creature, he was only caught on tape playing his part in murdering an unarmed man who was begging for his life. How dare that women say some mean things to him...

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So basically the tactic that George Zimmerman used to get away with the murder of an unarmed black kid?
    Can you point out the similarities? I don't see how Zimmerman confronting and then killing Martin is similar to this video.

Can you point out the similarities? I don't see how Zimmerman confronting and then killing Martin is similar to this video.

What you said:
    This is how you do it:
    Block cars at intersection
    Approach with guns
    If someone gets scared and takes off - open fire!

What Zimmerman did:

Annoy a kid minding their own business
    Approach with gun
    When the kid gets scared and takes off, chase and open fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It seems the boys of the NYPD have taken to protesting while they're on the job by driving around with the sirens on at 3am in the morning..

https://v.redd.it/oaii36gmgh651

Great bunch of lads

Controversy continues to rattle the small southern Colorado city of Alamosa after police say a local defense attorney, who was protesting, shot a driver in the head Thursday evening.

https://krdo.com/news/2020/06/06/video-shows-moments-surrounding-alamosa-protest-shooting/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Why should they stop protesting just because your attention span can't deal with it?

Where have I said they should stop protesting.

oh wait...I never said that.
    I clearly stated I have no problem with peaceful protests
    I clearly stated my issue was with violent protests.

And then you hilariously refer to my attention span when you clearly misread my entire post.

Poor creature, he was only caught on tape playing his part in murdering an unarmed man who was begging for his life. How dare that women say some mean things to him...

She was throwing wild accusations at him which she was obviously too stupid to realise could affect the outcome of the upcoming case.

Lets wait and see what the jury find him guilty of first.

Where have I said they should stop protesting.

oh wait...I never said that.
    I clearly stated I have no problem with peaceful protests
    I clearly stated my issue was with violent protests.

And then you hilariously refer to my attention span when you clearly misread my entire post.

You have now twice 'hilariously' given this opinion:
    people are tired of the protests, the hyping by the media, and like everything else, your average person is getting fed up of this now.

So are you not an 'average person' that holds these views that you're claiming to be there?

If you believe that average people are 'tired' and 'fed up' then what do you believe the protesters should do? Generally when protests so drastically lose the support of the 'average people' like you claim then they should change their plans.

She was throwing wild accusations at him which she was obviously too stupid to realise could affect the outcome of the upcoming case.

Lets wait and see what the jury find him guilty of first.

We have it on tape. At minimum, he stood by and allowed a colleague to choke a man to death while the victim begged for his life. Whatever the jury say about his legal culpability for the death, his involvement is a fact and anyone who does that deserves at minimum to receive the treatment he got from that woman.

Juries get it wrong all the time, we have this guy on tape. At least 4% people who have been sentenced to death in the US are later found to be innocent. I presume you also believe OJ did nothing wrong too because of the jury :rolleyes:

That isn't even getting into how laws are stacked to protect police officers in these situations, which is exactly why people are still on the streets protesting a month after the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Could Al Sharpton or someone not go to the U.N. and make some speech about how black people in the U.S. are a systematically-oppressed minority like the Uyghurs, the Kurds or Palestinians?

We have it on tape. At minimum, he stood by and allowed a colleague to choke a man to death while the victim begged for his life. Whatever the jury say about his legal culpability for the death, his involvement is a fact and anyone who does that deserves at minimum to receive the treatment he got from that woman.

Juries get it wrong all the time, we have this guy on tape. At least 4% people who have been sentenced to death in the US are later found to be innocent. I presume you also believe OJ did nothing wrong too because of the jury :rolleyes:

That isn't even getting into how laws are stacked to protect police officers in these situations, which is exactly why people are still on the streets protesting a month after the incident.

Yes it is on tape he was standing near Chauvin and in an ideal world he would have stepped in a stopped it before things got too far.

Bearing in mind he was just a few days on the job and Chauvin was the senior officer he might have been afraid to do anything and probably never thought the guy would die, its easy be an expert on what he should have done sitting down typing on your laptop but people are flawed and sometimes make horrible mistakes.

Floyd has his criminal past conveniently ignored including his involvment in the incident with the pregnant woman because to mention that would mean that like this guy he was also a flawed human who made mistakes.

I'll leave the decision on what happens to this guy to the courts but that isn't good enough for you and the internet mob baying for blood it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

briany wrote: »
    Could Al Sharpton or someone not go to the U.N. and make some speech about how black people in the U.S. are a systematically-oppressed minority like the Uyghurs, the Kurds or Palestinians?

Al Sharpton, the career con man and person who never fails to miss on opportunity to insert himself in front of a camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Al Sharpton, the career con man and person who never fails to miss on opportunity to insert himself in front of a camera?

Sure, if you like. Al Sharpton or someone, so if not Al, then someone who the black community in the U.S. would be happy to collectively represent them. Maybe it could even be a delegation rather than any one individual.

Yes it is on tape he was standing near Chauvin and in an ideal world he would have stepped in a stopped it before things got too far.

Bearing in mind he was just a few days on the job and Chauvin was the senior officer he might have been afraid to do anything and probably never thought the guy would die, its easy be an expert on what he should have done sitting down typing on your laptop but people are flawed and sometimes make horrible mistakes.

Floyd has his criminal past conveniently ignored including his involvment in the incident with the pregnant woman because to mention that would mean that like this guy he was also a flawed human who made mistakes.

I'll leave the decision on what happens to this guy to the courts but that isn't good enough for you and the internet mob baying for blood it seems.

It is very telling that you have repeatedly shown more compassion to the man caught on tape involved in the murder than either the victim or a woman who was showing her disgust at the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

briany wrote: »
    Sure, if you like. Al Sharpton or someone, so if not Al, then someone who the black community in the U.S. would be happy to collectively represent them. Maybe it could even be a delegation rather than any one individual.

Except it's a load of codswallop, and black people aren't anywhere near discriminated against and persecuted like those groups.

Except it's a load of codswallop, and black people aren't anywhere near discriminated against and persecuted like those groups.

Agreed, it is more like Catholics in the North during the Troubles.

It is a definite issue but not on the levels of those groups mentioned (and I don't think even protest organizers would make that claim)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is disgusting.

"NASCAR has launched an investigation after a noose was found in a garage stall at Talladega belonging to Bubba Wallace, the only African-American driver competing in its top Cup series.

"Late this afternoon, NASCAR was made aware that a noose was found in the garage stall of the 43 team," NASCAR said in a statement last night.

"We are angry and outraged, and cannot state strongly enough how seriously we take this heinous act."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2020/0622/1148844-noose-found-in-black-nascar-driver-wallaces-garage/

I typed in Noose and was hoping nobody would be taken in by this, as most of these stories tend to be fake for one reason or another

99% chance this is a garage cord with a loop at the end for ease :pac:

https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/1275305809832849408

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,784 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

silverharp wrote: »
    I typed in Noose and was hoping nobody would be taken in by this, as most of these stories tend to be fake for one reason or another

https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/1275305809832849408

Then it would have been on all of their garages. That doesn’t appear to have been the issue. Another noose was found today outside a race track hanging from a tree. FBI is involved.

silverharp wrote: »

Unsurprisingly, I'll wait for a stronger source than a random guy on twitter who claims to be 99.9% sure despite having no connection to NASCAR and uses an avatar of Biden with a Trump hat on.

Overheal wrote: »
    Then it would have been on all of their garages. That doesn’t appear to have been the issue. Another noose was found today outside a race track hanging from a tree. FBI is involved.

in the age of camera phones and there is no photo? im going to guess this story just quietly goes away

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Unsurprisingly, I'll wait for a stronger source than a random guy on twitter who claims to be 99.9% sure despite having no connection to NASCAR and uses an avatar of Biden with a Trump hat on.

he is irrelevant as such, the point the video heavily implies that this is a hysterical misunderstanding or deliberate lying. The creditably of the story went from 1/3 to to 1/20 of being true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement