Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,854 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Seems a pretty clear cut case of self defence. He was trying to get away and they pursued, screaming that they were going to kill him. I feel bad for the guy who pulled the trigger to be honest, any clue what led up to this ? Why were they chasing him ?

He’s part of an unregulated militia who injected themselves into a riot to tear down a statue.

Side note for those interested, r/2020policebrutality

https://www.reddit.com/r/2020PoliceBrutality/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Overheal wrote: »
    He’s part of an unregulated militia who injected themselves into a riot to tear down a statue.

Side note for those interested, r/2020policebrutality

https://www.reddit.com/r/2020PoliceBrutality/

He wasn't doing anything provocative that I could see. He was attacked for little reason, bar perhaps they suspected he was a cop?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2u2me wrote: »
    That's because the media is drumming this unfair narrative into them. Look at that little girl for example, her expectation had absolutely nothing to do with reality.(how many little girls were shot last year by the police)?

Yeah, every 6-12 year old is checking in with Fox and CNN nightly to see what is happening in the world.

An ignorance of just what these people have experienced and continue to experience is part of the privilege that many are up in arms about, saying that they don't have it.

He wasn't doing anything provocative that I could see. He was attacked for little reason, bar perhaps they suspected he was a cop?

You watched the full video you linked me to surely. So you know they injected themselves into the riot and tried to force others away from the statue. They created the hostile situation they found themselves in, thinking they had an upper hand until they didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

You watched the full video you linked me to surely. So you know they injected themselves into the riot and tried to force others away from the statue. They created the hostile situation they found themselves in, thinking they had an upper hand until they didn’t.

lol, You make it sound like the ones destroying the statue were just going about normal everyday business, surely pulling down property is already a hostile situation.

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    lol, You make it sound like the ones destroying the statue were just going about normal everyday business, surely pulling down property is already a hostile situation.

That.. was my point. Whoosh

The situation was already hostile and they jumped into the fray thinking their big dick energy would save them. It did not, and they cowered down from the statue after a few minutes, the rest is less clear.

It was a situation best left to law enforcement not an unregulated militia of cosplayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Jocko Willink weighs in on defunding the police.

"Most people are pretty sane, pretty reasonable, when we all saw the George Floyd video we were all equally in shock and disgust; so why are we so completely divided on this whole thing?"

No law-enforcement are saying, "Look, to control a guy you need to keep your knee on his neck for 9 minutes"

Anyone who practices jiu-jitsu knows that banning chokeholds as a means of restraint is crazy,
    "if you want to get someone under control and you can't choke them, you need to hit them in the head about 7 times and risk injuring them"

What do the police need more than anything else?" Money for training."

"Being a cop is the hardest job in the world"

On that one taking sides...

Yeah don't forget, police should not take sides in these things..

https://unicornriot.ninja/2020/philadelphia-police-threaten-unicorn-riot-reporter-after-vigilante-assault/

Assault, property damage.. and he is the one inciting a riot??? Hmmm.

The officers issued a warrant for the guy who punched the protester in the back of the head. I’m sure they will stop at nothing to pursue the fugitive :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's no talking sense to a lot of these screechers

The officers issued a warrant for the guy who punched the protester in the back of the head. I’m sure they will stop at nothing to pursue the fugitive :rolleyes:

I'm sure the midnight oil will be burnt to find him.

The recent unicornriot YouTube video is interesting, around the 21/22min mark onwards..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

black man knocks 92 year old white woman to the ground who hits her head on a fire hydrant.

somehow this does not get the same outrage when a cop pushes a agitator....what a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgutNQcc6Tk

black man knocks 92 year old white woman to the ground who hits her head on a fire hydrant.

somehow this does not get the same outrage when a cop pushes a agitator....what a shock.

The same outrage as when someone does it who is a paid police officer and supposed to be highly trained at doing their job, protecting and serving? I fail to see how the two incidents warrant similar degrees of public outcry.

The 31-year old man is already arrested and will be duly processed. Cops meanwhile enjoy qualified immunity when they do abhorrent things like this, so no justice is ever served; hence it being more than outrageous when a police officer abuses their power or applies excessive force. If the 31-year old was a cop he'd have millions defending him, but he has no one, so again where is the equivalency?

Has there been any proof for this "agitator" label the man child and Qanon have labelled him?
    Iirc there was a link to his blog posted on the last thread, I clicked in and could see nothing of note.

Has there been any proof for this "agitator" label the man child and Qanon have labelled him?
    Iirc there was a link to his blog posted on the last thread, I clicked in and could see nothing of note.

Also, remember the attempts at justifying the push, riot police don't do arrests/don't break their lines..

https://v.redd.it/1ne6sp5bgh551

Even get the push in before they yank him in behind their lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Jocko Willink weighs in on defunding the police.

"Most people are pretty sane, pretty reasonable, when we all saw the George Floyd video we were all equally in shock and disgust; so why are we so completely divided on this whole thing?"

No law-enforcement are saying, "Look, to control a guy you need to keep your knee on his neck for 9 minutes"

Anyone who practices jiu-jitsu knows that banning chokeholds as a means of restraint is crazy,
    "if you want to get someone under control and you can't choke them, you need to hit them in the head about 7 times and risk injuring them"

What do the police need more than anything else?" Money for training."

"Being a cop is the hardest job in the world"

Who is Jocko Willing and why is his opinion important?

Never heard of the guy.

Trump says choke holds are banned unless the arresting officer thinks his/her life is in danger. In a street situation or wrestle with a felon who doesn't want to go to jail, if you stop and think about his feelings, you'll be the one in the choke hold..end of story! and your spouse gets a flag folded and pressed.

also why is it that anyone who goes on Joe rogan, is considered an absolute authority on everything. Joe is a very bad comedian who commentates on martial arts...he's no Parkinson!

That.. was my point. Whoosh

The situation was already hostile and they jumped into the fray thinking their big dick energy would save them. It did not, and they cowered down from the statue after a few minutes, the rest is less clear.

It was a situation best left to law enforcement not an unregulated militia of cosplayers.

You are unparalleled in your efforts to make excuses for clearly violent behaviour. This dude was just as justified in his presence at the demonstration as anyone. 1st Amendment and all that. Gets set upon and struck multiple times and makes every effort to deescalate and disengage. Gets chased with folks shouting they're going to kill him. Struck to the ground and finally defends himself.

Yet you'd act like he instigated the incidents.

joe40 wrote: »
    Who is Jocko Willing and why is his opinion important?

Never heard of the guy.

He's an ex- navy seal who is now a journalist. I only know him because he's appeared on JRE so many times. He was also on Sam Harris' podcast #26(The logic of violence)

Seems a sensible, knowledgable chap I can't find disagreement in anything he says.

According to Joe he doens't know anyone that works harder than that guy.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    also why is it that anyone who goes on Joe rogan, is considered an absolute authority on everything. Joe is a very bad comedian who commentates on martial arts...he's no Parkinson!

Joe Rogan has also been a commentator on the UFC basically since it's inception. He knows martial arts and he knows choke holds. These two people are experts in this field for sure. "It's people that are doing it wrong is the problem"

Joe Rogan has also been a commentator on the UFC basically since it's inception. He knows martial arts and he knows choke holds. These two people are experts in this field for sure. "It's people that are doing it wrong is the problem"

yes I've watched it since it;s inception and plenty before it, that's not my point.
    newsflash, you dont need to be a black belt to know what happens when one is used with impunity, my point is that Trump statement means Nothing and also Joe has been described at times, as highly intelligent. He is fed the info much of the time, he may be well read also, but that;s not the same as being intelligent.

All that aside, its lucky there were two cops the weekend on that taser incident because the guy who pointed the taser had the measure of both of them in seconds and again, one of them could have easily been killed. I watched the video, they were really polite very aware of what has been going on too, so they were extra cautious.

You are unparalleled in your efforts to make excuses for clearly violent behaviour. This dude was just as justified in his presence at the demonstration as anyone. 1st Amendment and all that. Gets set upon and struck multiple times and makes every effort to deescalate and disengage. Gets chased with folks shouting they're going to kill him. Struck to the ground and finally defends himself.

Yet you'd act like he instigated the incidents.

Clearly he and his posse did instigate those incidents, the NMCG going so far as to admit they “interposed” themselves in the fray

They are also *not* standing by their guy.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/new-mexico-civil-guard-distances-themselves-from-alleged-shooter/5761996/

yes I've watched it since it;s inception and plenty before it, that's not my point.
    newsflash, you dont need to be a black belt to know what happens when one is used with impunity, my point is that Trump statement means Nothing and also Joe has been described at times, as highly intelligent. He is fed the info much of the time, he may be well read also, but that;s not the same as being intelligent.

All that aside, its lucky there were two cops the weekend on that taser incident because the guy who pointed the taser had the measure of both of them in seconds and again, one of them could have easily been killed. I watched the video, they were really polite very aware of what has been going on too, so they were extra cautious.

What trump statement? :confused:

Neither of them are saying that it should be used with impunity. Have you watched the clip, where did they say that? They are advocating that all police should be trained better, they receive too little training about chokeholds. That is their point.

You seem to be disagreeing with it ferociously; what is the problem exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

you dont need to be a black belt to know what happens when one is used with impunity

I just would like to clarify here: what keeps happening time after time is that officers get off scott-free in situations like this. They fall back on 'oh it was in the training' 'it's a legitimate technique' etc.. etc.. but no instructor worth their salt would stand by what happened to George Floyd; that's the problem there is no accountability here.

If the officers received more training on how specifically to do holds(choke-holds/restraints) and a video like this emerged it would be easier then to prosecute the officers involved and or blame the instructor that taught them the technique. More accountability.

103967497_3046264435420915_5812465662046011696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=aPfcuD0gCt4AX85xGEX&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-1.xx&oh=65df167e7d664a4cc7f86c28bd48cb70&oe=5F0F3639
    Clearly he and his posse did instigate those incidents, the NMCG going so far as to admit they “interposed” themselves in the fray

They are also *not* standing by their guy.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/new-mexico-civil-guard-distances-themselves-from-alleged-shooter/5761996/

Interposed, by way of being present? So it's ok to be violent and destructive, as long as you're with the right group then?

Just a few nice folk harassing/assaulting a lone female with a BLM poster.

https://v.redd.it/9jvx4qov2j551

The guy in this video ripping her poster is being linked to the previous post by overheal (punch in the head Infront of a cop). Bethel Ohio both incidents happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How to bandwagon
    Toy brickmaker Lego paused some advertising for building sets and products including police stations, city police vests
    and the White House in light of the ongoing protests following the death in police custody of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

• Advertisement

Three people so far..

"Two suspects have been charged in connection with the arson of the Minneapolis Police Department’s (MPD) 3rd Precinct. The station was torched days after the George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office (USAO) for the District of Minnesota that 26-year-old Bryce Michael Williams of Staples, Minnesota has been charged with the federal crime of conspiracy to commit arson. The USAO said that a masked and baseball cap wearing Williams was taken into custody on Tuesday and appeared in court on Wednesday."

"On Tuesday, United States Attorney Erica H. MacDonald that 22-year-old Breckenridge, Colorado man Dylan Shakespeare Robinson was charged with aiding and abetting the arson of the Third Precinct."

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-death/two-more-suspects-charged-in-the-arson-of-third-precinct-in-minneapolis-days-after-george-floyds-death/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement