Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in New York?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

MOR316 wrote: »

I'm a civil servant so I ain't gonna get any transfer across in terms of getting a Visa that way.

If you get transferred into Foreign Affairs your visa will be A2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    If you get transferred into Foreign Affairs your visa will be A2;)

I got transferred out of Foreign Affairs due to commuting and the money being terrible so no :D

Plus, I have to wait another two years to get transferred back and then another 2 years to get transferred to NY and that is not happening as people sell their own mothers in that Department to get that. But, not wasting 4 years. I'd be dead by then :D

You're right to get out. Poisonous place

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    You're right to get out. Poisonous place

There are some great places in Ireland, to be fair.

Just the town I'm from and live in, the things I've seen/gone through/experienced here, have all left me floored mentally. Too many reminders of things that happened and that were said. I can't remember the last day I haven't cried. I need to get out of here because life shouldn't be lived carrying that kind of baggage

New York has been a dream of mine since I was a child. Anytime I've been there, it feels like an outer body experience, like it isn't real and I'm currently smiling, as I type this, just by thinking of the place!
    No one gives a **** what you say, do, wear or how you look so long as you're not hurting somebody. They leave you to do you. The people, in my experience, are so kind, helpful and loving

It's crawling with rats, it's dirty, it's smelly, the taxi drivers drive as if they've got a death wish but, none of that bothers me. (Well except when it's an incredibly hot day and you're struggling for air :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just the town I'm from and live in, the things I've seen/gone through/experienced here, have all left me floored mentally. Too many reminders of things that happened and that were said. I can't remember the last day I haven't cried. I need to get out of here because life shouldn't be lived carrying that kind of baggage

New York has been a dream of mine since I was a child. Anytime I've been there, it feels like an outer body experience, like it isn't real and I'm currently smiling, as I type this, just by thinking of the place!
    No one gives a **** what you say, do, wear or how you look so long as you're not hurting somebody. They leave you to do you. The people, in my experience, are so kind, helpful and loving

It's crawling with rats, it's dirty, it's smelly, the taxi drivers drive as if they've got a death wish but, none of that bothers me. (Well except when it's an incredibly hot day and you're struggling for air :D )

You should give london a go based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Keep the dream alive for New York but there are lots of really great options on our door step that you could move to without the hassle of Visa's or the costs of New York but get similar experiences.

London has been suggested, also consider Manchester, Cardiff or Glasgow as they are fun cities with culture in spades. Further afield Barcelona has everything you could possibly want from a city to explore new opportunities and is just as bat**** crazy as New York.

Other options but less crazy where you can get away without speaking the language are Berlin, Munich, Rotterdam are all decent options.

Oh I meant DFA :p

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

i lived in NY for 10 years and had a great time. i'll agree that the "negativity" is really experience from people who have bashed their head against USCIS over the years... :)

i guess a few years ago you might have had people on a holiday visa that cut some corners, took up a job without paperwork and rode it out. if you were just planning to take a 1 year break over there that might have been a possibility but with the huge unemployment from covid i'd say that option is stone dead (and obviously illegal).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You have the option of Canada also, if you are elligible for the u-35 visa and you get a salaried job for one year, you can apply for permanent residence. If you stay another 3 years you can get citizenship. Then you can enter the US on a TN visa if you can prove that you have a job, with an employment letter in the US. That's at least 4.5 years. You will be legally working in the US then but on a non immigrant visa. To make it permanent then, you either meet and marry somebody during your time working there or you do well professionally and convince a company to sponsor you for a visa that counts toward immigration status.

Yeah......it's tough. I guarantee before you reach the end, you will realise that Canada is actually fine but that will only be a positive surprise for you.

You have the option of Canada also, if you are elligible for the u-35 visa and you get a salaried job for one year, you can apply for permanent residence. If you stay another 3 years you can get citizenship. Then you can enter the US on a TN visa if you can prove that you have a job, with an employment letter in the US. That's at least 4.5 years. You will be legally working in the US then but on a non immigrant visa. To make it permanent then, you either meet and marry somebody during your time working there or you do well professionally and convince a company to sponsor you for a visa that counts toward immigration status.

Yeah......it's tough. I guarantee before you reach the end, you will realise that Canada is actually fine but that will only be a positive surprise for you.

I'm sure Canada is amazing. I've friends over there and they say the same.

However, again it's just a personal thing with NY. :)
    I've even gotten to a stage where I'm thinking of doing a course, becoming a student again and trying to get a J1. I haven't looked too much into it, just a thought that came into my head last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'm sure Canada is amazing. I've friends over there and they say the same.

However, again it's just a personal thing with NY. :)
    I've even gotten to a stage where I'm thinking of doing a course, becoming a student again and trying to get a J1. I haven't looked too much into it, just a thought that came into my head last night

A J1 would only get you a few months. You might be able to get a post grad J1 which gets you a year (or maybe a year and a bit)but I think it might have an age dependency which you might be too old for.

A J1 would only get you a few months. You might be able to get a post grad J1 which gets you a year (or maybe a year and a bit)but I think it might have an age dependency which you might be too old for.

So basically, I'm screwed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

So basically, I'm screwed :D

Like the other poster said, even though you have your heart set on NYC making that decision to start with Canada first is the best route to go down. You hate your job and where you live, so just bite the bullet so to speak and make that move to Canada first. You can basically live not to far from NY state and travel there when you want easily. Then if things go your way in 4+ years you could possibly move to NYC to live. It’s the best of both worlds. You can live as close to NYC without living there and you are getting yourself out of the situation you are in.
    I was lucky enough to win the Green Card Lottery ten years ago and have been happily living in the States since. I moved here with a Wife, Son, our Dog and five suite cases. We didn’t have jobs, family or anyone here we knew. We started fresh and to say I was scared ****less is putting it lightly. Within a week we had found a place to live and moved out of our $65 a night motel.
    I was much like you and had always dreamt about living in the States from a young age.
    I look back now and think about how everything was so different and exciting. Our son left Ireland as a toddler and is more American than anything else now.
    Like everywhere else you get a job, make a life, meet friends and before you know it, it’s ten years later. The excitement goes after about two years and it just becomes home. If you hate your job and where you are now just pull the trigger and make a move to Canada, what’s the worst that can happen? You hate it and have to move back home? Well at least you can tell yourself you gave it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No age dependency on the grad visa.

Usit would be great to talk with but they are gone bust now :(

amdublin wrote: »
    No age dependency on the grad visa.

Usit would be great to talk with but they are gone bust now :(

No, but I think you need to take it within a certain amount of time after graduating.

So unless the poster is a very recent graduate or can knock out a degree pretty quick, it's likely a non-runner too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No, but I think you need to take it within a certain amount of time after graduating.

So unless the poster is a very recent graduate or can knock out a degree pretty quick, it's likely a non-runner too.

Yep think within one year, maybe two, of graduating.

Think the poster was mentioning going back to college which is why I mentioned there not being an age limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Go and don't look back, ever. Lived for 12 glorious years in Manhattan and Williamsburg.

Watched the towers fall whilst suffering from an almighty 28th birthday hangover from my rooftop on East 77th street and 2nd, went through more girlfriends than i care to remember, sat and skulled pints with Ben Affleck for the evening before later winning a 50 dollar game of pool against him, got mugged twice and arrested once, worked as a waiter, bouncer and bartender and loved every minute of it before finally getting slung out for not having the proper legal status.

London, Paris or Rome don't come close, nothing does or ever will.

Just go.

Go and don't look back, ever. Lived for 12 glorious years in Manhattan and Williamsburg.

Watched the towers fall whilst suffering from an almighty 28th birthday hangover from my rooftop on East 77th street and 2nd, went through more girlfriends than i care to remember, sat and skulled pints with Ben Affleck for the evening before later winning a 50 dollar game of pool against him, got mugged twice and arrested once, worked as a waiter, bouncer and bartender and loved every minute of it before finally getting slung out for not having the proper legal status.

London, Paris or Rome don't come close, nothing does or ever will.

Just go.

You're getting my juices going :D
    Are you banned from entering again for life?

You're getting my juices going :D
    Are you banned from entering again for life?

Open to correction but I think it's a 10 year ban, and after that you have to apply via the Embassy for a visa.

Open to correction but I think it's a 10 year ban, and after that you have to apply via the Embassy for a visa.

OK...That's not getting my juices going :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

I was at the embassy for a non immigration visa in Jan and there was a lad in his 20's in front of me who overstayed on an ETSA, was there 6 months due to an ill relative, and despite letter / reference from work he was still refused a new ESTA. I saw quite a few people rejected that day and no privacy.

But have read that bans can be 5, 10, 15, 20 years and up to life ban.

Not worth the risk IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I was at the embassy for a non immigration visa in Jan and there was a lad in his 20's in front of me who overstayed on an ETSA, was there 6 months due to an ill relative, and despite letter / reference from work he was still refused a new ESTA. I saw quite a few people rejected that day and no privacy.

But have read that bans can be 5, 10, 15, 20 years and up to life ban.

Not worth the risk IMO

The rules are actually pretty clear. Any overstay means you can’t use VWP or ESTA again. Overstay by more than 180 days but less than 1 year is 3 year ban. Anything over 1 year is a 10 year ban.

Jesus Christ...

All of recent events here have just made me even more determined to go. Will beg on my hands and knees to the embassy if I have to :D

Jesus Christ...

All of recent events here have just made me even more determined to go. Will beg on my hands and knees to the embassy if I have to :D

All the events where?

Have you seen what is going on in the States at the moment?

Begging to the embassy won't work. There is a criteria and that is that.

amdublin wrote: »
    All the events where?

Have you seen what is going on in the States at the moment?

Begging to the embassy won't work. There is a criteria and that is that.

Jesus, pal :D

Seriously, does anyone know what piss taking or sarcasm is around this place no? Do you really think that me, a fully grown man, is going to the embassy in Dublin to beg them, in the hope they'll let me in without any visa or without following the proper channels?

****ing hell...I would have thought the green smiley after it would have given it away but, obviously not...

I don't care if The States has Daffy Duck as president or whatever else. As I have stated several times, I want to move to NY for a period of time as it's been my dream since I was a child. End of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Had a three year Visa and was living in Chicago. Only back home and lasted 11 months as was sick of it.

Did Vegas, New York, California, Wisconsin.

US is not all its cut out to be. Good bars and clubs but meh. Home is just as good and most europeen cities are better.

The high rise buildings are a novelty and was at a ton of Baseball, Basketball, WWE yokes, water parks and a couple of concerts.

The Winters are bitter cold but good summers.

I have two years left on the Visa and might be sent back for a six month stint I reckon. Wouldn't mind it but not living there permantly non stop for three years or five years.

regulators wrote: »
    Had a three year Visa and was living in Chicago. Only back home and lasted 11 months as was sick of it.

US is not all its cut out to be. Good bars and clubs but meh. Home is just as good and most europeen cities are better.

The high rise buildings are a novelty and was at a ton of Baseball, Basketball, WWE yokes, water parks and a couple of concerts.

Sounds awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Sounds awful

Was good for first six months then novelty wore off and wanted to come home,b especially wth the virus.

Was good for first six months then novelty wore off and wanted to come home,b especially wth the virus.

I hear ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I have two years left on the Visa and might be sent back for a six month stint I reckon. Wouldn't mind it but not living there permantly non stop for three years or five years.

I don’t know for the life of me why people move to a major U.S city. Living close to a big city within an hours drive is the way to go. Eleven months is not giving it a go, I get it if you transferred over and was stuck in Chicago but if you had an option I would have gone elsewhere in the States. Cold
    winters no thanks. Lived in Dublin for 13 years and was more afraid for my wellbeing there than I ever did in the States.

Advertisement