Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screwfix

Options
  • 03-08-2020 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I am trying to buy a dewalt impact screwdriver. my local screwfix store is in Swords, Dublin .
    it seems to be always out of stock as are all the Irish shops. does anybody know if the Irish part of the empire has shut down?
    nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I tend to just order from the UK website if the Irish one is out of stock, using a ParcelMotel address in NI.

I doubt it's shutdown in the handful of days since I was last there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Screwfix don't actually hold a large stock. The should order if in for you.

On another point it's worth remembering that not all DeWalt drills are the same. Battery size & the amount of batteries play a part but the specs of the drill itself is very important. Speed & torque needs to be compared

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Screwfix don't actually hold a large stock. The should order if in for you.

On another point it's worth remembering that not all DeWalt drills are the same. Battery size & the amount of batteries play a part but the specs of the drill itself is very important. Speed & torque needs to be compared

They hold good stock in Sandyford of many things but not of power toolsv presumably cos they're expensive and lose money due to latest models coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Have a look at Caulfield website. They are a tool supplier in Galway.

I have found that Screwfix can be dearer than other online suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Beltby wrote: »

I have found Caulfields to be consistently overpriced by a country mile, always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Beltby wrote: »

Don't even bother checking caulfield, crazy prices. Ray grahams are pretty decent and they over free delivery over 100 I think it is. Could also try mytoolshed in UK, they charge delivery put are pretty good price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have found Caulfields to be consistently overpriced by a country mile, always.

not always but most of the time they are crazy prices.
    when the makita 18v router came out they had a killer deal on it . cheapest i could find here or the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I got a set of impact sockets recently. Caulfields were 67 all in. Screwfix wanted 120 for the very same set.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Yes it pays to shop around and the variation on prices is huge. The other side is it consumes time.
    I got some tools a few months ago from screwfix so i was intending to stick with them. i was trying to buy Irish rather than Amazon, save jobs ect.

again thanks Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

You know Screwfix is just BandQ outlet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stoneill wrote: »

well not really, they are owned be the same parent company. But not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

stoneill wrote: »

I'd be astonished if I found anything in B&Q that was cheaper then Screwfix.
    I used Screwfix 6 times during and after lockdown and nearly every order was delivered in 1-2 days.
    The one order that wasn't was an order from Ennis store with free delivery to Dublin :D that took them 14 days to deliver, ordered there as wasn't in stock anywhere else.
    it seems to be always out of stock as are all the Irish shops. does anybody know if the Irish part of the empire has shut down?

If Tesco in your location was out of your favourite baked beans, would you ask the same question of Tesco?
    Supply and demand, factor in delayed deliveries and possible staff shortages meant most stores didn't have have stock of certain items over last few months.

stoneill wrote:

That's sort of like saying that DeWalt drills are really Black and Decker drills.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's sort of like saying that DeWalt drills are really Black and Decker drills.
    Nice one but you do know that they are part of the same group. I used to be a DeWalt fan basically for light hobby use but I recently bought a Stanley Fat Max brushless drill and I reckon its every bit as good at a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Jebbtools usually have DeWalt in stock at a good price and I find them very good for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

mikehn wrote: »
    I used to be a DeWalt fan basically for light hobby use but I recently bought a Stanley Fat Max brushless drill and I reckon its every bit as good at a better price.

Most of the 'Forum Legends'

3beyee.jpg

:D

(Stigura; No schitz given!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mikehn wrote: »
    Nice one but you do know that they are part of the same group. I used to be a DeWalt fan basically for light hobby use but I recently bought a Stanley Fat Max brushless drill and I reckon its every bit as good at a better price.

Having used a reasonable amount of Stanley stuff. This isn't true.

mikehn wrote:

That was my point. Part of the same group but totally different companies. Totally different factories and totally different quality of product.

You won't find a tradesman anywhere on the planet that will use Black and Decker products over DeWalt. That's not to say that DeWalt is the best tradesman tools

Advertisement