Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light door for outside

Options
  • 29-07-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

What’s a light enough wood not too flimsy tho to build for an outside shed door , type structure.
    Will put preservative on myself , don’t want the cheapish but reasonably solid thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

A couple of my sheds, I've just used a sheet of ply, with batons to brace it a bit and silicon rubbed in the edges to stop it rotting. In another I just used our old back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Purgative wrote: »
    A couple of my sheds, I've just used a sheet of ply, with batons to brace it a bit and silicon rubbed in the edges to stop it rotting. In another I just used our old back door.

Sounds good that ply would last a while once well braced ? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sounds good that ply would last a while once well braced ? Thank you

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114157016&postcount=255

Marine ply, of various grades. Depends on your budget.

Cheaper ply may be fine if it's suitably painted or varnished and doesn't have driving rain against it.

If you want to keep it simple just use a single thick sheet with bracing behind with the hinges attached to the bracing.

Oh, and ply is about 700kg/m3, so e.g. an 18mm sheet will be 0.018x2x1x700=25kg, approx.

A full sheet of 25mm marine ply is bloody heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Lumen wrote: »
    Oh, and ply is about 700kg/m3, so e.g. an 18mm sheet will be 0.018x2x1x700=25kg, approx.

A full sheet of 25mm marine ply is bloody heavy.

Thanks for all advice . I just got a carpenter to give me a price I mentioned plywood , didn’t seem convinced !! I think I get one made ok by time I get all the timber etc , probably handier cheers ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Thanks for all advice . I just got a carpenter to give me a price I mentioned plywood , didn’t seem convinced !! I think I get one made ok by time I get all the timber etc , probably handier cheers ðŸ‘

To be clear, plywood is not a good material for an external door. The edges are vulnerable to being caught and chipping/delaminating, it can rot from the inside, most of it is softwood or at most hardwood faced, it is expensive, and you can't really screw into the edges as you can with solid timber.

I was just pointing out that if you are going to use plywood, it ought to be the good stuff.

Advertisement