Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a birthday party .. in September!

Options
  • 27-07-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

I’ve a big birthday this year and really want to mark the occasion and have something to look back on other than having a meal in a pub and home by 9pm.

Thinking an open marquee (with heaters) in a field at home with food, drink and music! It would be for family and friends (and some of the neighbours!). It would be cancelled if the numbers start to rise again.

I really want to mark the occasion but torn if it’s too much risk to do it in October even though we would be staying inside government guidelines of about 50.

What do you think? Would you go to a birthday party with 50ish people at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Augme

There's no way I'd go to a birthday party with 50 people. Also, I would lose a huge amount of respect for whoever's birthday party it was. I think its a very selfish thing to do and comes across as if they person is a bit of a narsassist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Nope, not a hope!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A well-liked friend of mine tried to have a barbecue like that for their birthday in April (50 people outdoors), and nobody came. Also a lot of people now think they're a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

50 people in a marquee in an open field. No problem whatsoever.

Just avoid inviting anyone who reads the daily mail, they'll accuse you of poisoning people.

If you want to "show" you are taking precautions, get a infrared thermometer and take Temps as they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on your circle of friends to be honest.
    I know people who are having similar gatherings at the moment and even back in May. (I'd include health care workers in this).
    However some people still barely go to the shop.
    You know your friends and family the best and you might have an idea what they are up to.
    We can't really answer it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I sympathise with the OP but I really think that plans need to be postponed until next year. I've written off my own birthday and loads of family and friends have done the same for plenty of significant events this year. Pretend it's not the big one until next year and stay ?9 until 2021 :)

We were invited to a similar party earlier this month and we sent regrets. Despite assurances of social distancing, the photos that were circulated proved otherwise. It's just too big a risk and there's too wide a circle of possible infection opportunities with 50 people, considering that each one of them probably lives with/contacts about 5 times that many. And on and on exponentially ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think birthday parties are for children. I wouldn't go to an adult's birthday party irrespective of the pandemic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate the honesty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just to add, if you don't want people in your home, people will need to come inside to use the toilet so you're just still going to end up with people filing through your house.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod:

Hi OP

I'm going to lock this thread as I'm not sure it's proper to Personal Issues. Sorry. You might be able to discuss it further in the coronavirus discussion forum.

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement