Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing in public space

• 11-07-2019 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All!

Could you please provide me with the written law where states that the photographing in public space such a parks and streets of people is allowed or not in Ireland. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Been a few threads over the years.
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=27&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=public+photography

IIRC there are no laws FORBIDDING photography in public spaces, but parks (for example) will certainly have by-laws around commercial photography and may forbid it in other circumstances. Bear in mind that usage is obviously an unrelated topic and that there are any amount of private spaces masquerading as public spaces in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

Been a few threads over the years.
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=27&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=public+photography

IIRC there are no laws FORBIDDING photography in public spaces, but parks (for example) will certainly have by-laws around commercial photography and may forbid it in other circumstances. Bear in mind that usage is obviously an unrelated topic and that there are any amount of private spaces masquerading as public spaces in Ireland.

Thanks for your answer. I found this difficult to answer for people who are not in photography. For me personally doesn't make sense to ask somebody for permission if Im shooting for my Ig account only recreational(hobby). Lately I'm getting people reaching out to me that I never asked them for permission even tough Im taking photos in public space and my good will is if I want to delete photo or not. Im not selling any of these photos. Then my question is how to forbid people staring at you when passing somebody on the street. Why newspaper or other social media, digital news are allowed to put candid photos.

Also, when people filming and taking photos with their mobile phone for their Ig story and feed and etc.? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There is no law against taking photos in public spaces in Ireland. If it's a public space, you're not breaking any laws (e.g. upskirting), it's just for personal use (including social networking), and you're not identifying people (i.e. here's Joe from Dublin), then you don't need permission and there's not a lot those people can do about it.

As you point out, these same people could easily be sharing IG stories or photos on Facebook where other people are in the background but won't think twice, yet they see a camera and think "hang on a second I don't like this".

Advertisement