Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Canada - Biometrics

Options
  • 01-12-2018 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm hoping to go through the process of applying for an IEC visa 2019. I've been looking through the moving2canada.com website to see exactly what is involved and have come across the requirements for biometrics.

From what I can gather biometrics is now a required part of the application process. I am wondering if anyone can help with a few questions that I have about this.

Is this required during the initial application or is it something that is asked after an initial application is made?
    From what I understand there is very limit availability to get this biometrics taken in Dublin and you will likely need to travel to London to get them taken. Is this correct?

I'm hoping that maybe someone going through the process this year would be able to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

token56 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm hoping to go through the process of applying for an IEC visa 2019. I've been looking through the moving2canada.com website to see exactly what is involved and have come across the requirements for biometrics.

From what I can gather biometrics is now a required part of the application process. I am wondering if anyone can help with a few questions that I have about this.

Is this required during the initial application or is it something that is asked after an initial application is made?
    From what I understand there is very limit availability to get this biometrics taken in Dublin and you will likely need to travel to Canada to get them taken. Is this correct?

I'm hoping that maybe someone going through the process this year would be able to help.

I can't really answer any of your questions other than to say that you'll almost certainly be able to get your biometrics done in London if you can't in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

troyzer wrote: »
    I can't really answer any of your questions other than to say that you'll almost certainly be able to get your biometrics done in London if you can't in Dublin.

Sorry, my mistake, I mistyped. I have update my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

token56 wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »

Sorry, my mistake, I mistyped. I have update my original post.

Ah yes, grand.

Like I said, I can't really answer your questions. I'm looking at getting PR myself and I'm interested to see how you get on.

All I know is that the embassy in London is enormous and I'd be astonished if you had to go to Canada for paperwork.

No harm done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

After you submit you IEC application (with police certs etc..), you will get a letter instructing you to submit biometrics.

For the moment, there are very few appointments in Dublin, but this may change in the future. Currently they do it 2 days a month, list is here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2018/06/biometric-collection-services-temporarily-available-at-certain-missions-starting-july312018.html

They allow you to walk up or make an appointment in London

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/UnitedKingdom/important_information.html#news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

After you submit you IEC application (with police certs etc..), you will get a letter instructing you to submit biometrics.

For the moment, there are very few appointments in Dublin, but this may change in the future. Currently they do it 2 days a month, list is here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2018/06/biometric-collection-services-temporarily-available-at-certain-missions-starting-july312018.html

They allow you to walk up or make an appointment in London

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/UnitedKingdom/important_information.html#news

This is great, thanks for the information.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I submitted my biometrics in London a few weeks ago for an IEC in case you want to ask me anything about it? It’s not done in the Canadian embassy, but in a VFS Global office - they do visa services for a load of countries including Canada.

I made a morning appointment and it was pretty straightforward. You have to go through a scanner to go in the door and then present your appointment letter and passport at the desk, they give you a numbered ticket and direct you to the correct floor.

Once in the room for Canadian applications, I just had to wait until my number was called (it wasn’t busy first thing, but apparently it gets very crowded at lunchtimes etc so I’d recommend making an appointment even though they offer walk ins too). Once I was called, I went in, gave them my documentation and signed a form. Then I had to hold my hands up in the air for the security camera, give my fingerprints (it’s electronic like the ones you get in airports) and have my photo taken. I was given a carbon copy receipt with my application tracking number etc.

That was it, I left and my entire application was approved the next day - you have a month to give your biometrics once you’re invited to do it, and I did it towards the end of that month due to work travel, so I suppose the biometrics was the only thing left for them to approve by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hi all, I applied to get my biometrics done in Dublin and got response to say that they are full up until end of February, they say there is another one opening in Dublin on March 1st and can apply there but details will not be up until closer to the date it says. No word yet. Any ideas? If I turn up on on some of the dates in Dublin before end of February with appointment will I get seen too? Just under pressure as need done for March 6, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

I'm in the same boat, I don't want to have to fly to London to get my finger print taken either.

Do you think they will accommodate people in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Identical position myself. I sent off an online form stating my case and asking if a delay in biometrics would be acceptable due to the limited time between my biometrics deadline, March 6, and the opening of this new VAC, March 1.

Still waiting to hear back, it's been a few days, and I've my finger over the over 'book flights to London' button at this stage.

Will update if/when I hear back.

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Identical position myself. I sent off an online form stating my case and asking if a delay in biometrics would be acceptable due to the limited time between my biometrics deadline, March 6, and the opening of this new VAC, March 1.

Still waiting to hear back, it's been a few days, and I've my finger over the over 'book flights to London' button at this stage.

Will update if/when I hear back.

Cheers do please update thanks

• Advertisement

Just to update, I've booked my flights over for later in the month.

The online booking system has very few appointment dates left this month, although you can just do 'walk-ins'. Just means you might be hanging around a while.

Figured I'd spend 40 quid on a return flight than fret any longer over this new VAC in Dublin.

I'll check back in that update.

Just to update, I've booked my flights over for later in the month.

The online booking system has very few appointment dates left this month, although you can just do 'walk-ins'. Just means you might be hanging around a while.

Figured I'd spend 40 quid on a return flight than fret any longer over this new VAC in Dublin.

I'll check back in that update.

Sound, might have to do the same, are they open every day of the week for processing yes?

Mon - Fri, I believe,

Couple of updates for you.

I got an email this week saying an appointment had freed up next week in Dublin, which I’ve accepted.

Interestingly, I also received a reply regarding my request for possible extension to the 30 day deadline. They’ve added an additional 30 days to my deadline.

Not needed now, but good to know they do look at individual cases and take action.

All the best.

Couple of updates for you.

I got an email this week saying an appointment had freed up next week in Dublin, which I’ve accepted.

Interestingly, I also received a reply regarding my request for possible extension to the 30 day deadline. They’ve added an additional 30 days to my deadline.

Not needed now, but good to know they do look at individual cases and take action.

All the best.

Yep I got the 30 day extension email too, but I think it was out to everyone who was due an app, regardless if they flagged an issue or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Looks like VFS Global are opening an office in Dublin on March 1st

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Ireland/Biometric-Enrolment.html

Looks like VFS Global are opening an office in Dublin on March 1st

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Ireland/Biometric-Enrolment.html

Thanks for letting me know, I had flights booked to London but got in the same day in Dublin. Much appreciated for the updates all round

Has anyone heard any update since doing their biometrics?

Has anyone heard any update since doing their biometrics?

Yes I was told about 2 weeks after biometrics that I was accepted, but the guy said it could take up to 60 days.

Advertisement