Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Paully D wrote: »
    £2m.

Is he any good? What type of player? I know absolutely nothing about him.

I liked him. Given we already signed Janko to come in at right back and Matthews was entering the last year of his contract I can see why he was sold. We got him for free so to get 2m for him is decent business. He is a very consistent player. Good going forward very good pace and a solid defender.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Celtic play Den Bosch this evening in a pre-season friendly, 7:45.

Playing at St Mirren Park for some reason?

Watched the game earlier today and was very surprised at how sharp and good we looked especially in the first half given it was the first pre season game for us. GMS was simply unplayable. Rogic had a very good shift in central midfield while Boyata looked very comfortable at center back. Very good outing all in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Matthews is a solid full back, when fit. Decent long throw on him aswell. His problem was when he came back from injury, other players would be flying fit and he'd have to bide his time and when he did get his chance, he was rusty but you knew if he got a run of games, you'd see good games from him.

We are flush when it comes to right backs at the moment so I suppose its the right time for him to go if he's wanting more guarantees about starts. Got him on a free transfer, 4 years of good service and £2m for him when he goes, cant complain really. I hope there is a sell on clause going in there somewhere because he's only 23! I look forward to seeing him play in the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A deal has been agreed between the two Clubs for Ciftci.

Amido Balde is off to Metz on a free it looks like after he had his contract terminated by mutal consent and Celtic have signed 29 year old Belgian keeper Logan Bailly for Louven for 250,000 I would assume to replace Zaluska as backup to Craig Gordon.

• Advertisement

Martin Odegaard on loan is doing the rounds, again...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ciftci official now. Happy with that signing tbh, I think he'll do a job for us. Only 23 as well, plenty of potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Agree with you Paulo

Pleasing performance tonight against Real Sociedad.

Ciftci set up Mackay Stevens' goal. He'll be a good signing, though he faces a ban.

I think he finds out on July 20th how long he gets banned for from that biting incident last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

When will the potential ban decision be made? And would it affect CL qualifiers? How many games are we talking about?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Pleasing performance tonight against Real Sociedad.

Especially in the second half I thought we did a good job of keeping the ball and really getting at them and creating some good chances. Ciftci looked very lively when he came on as well.

Well folks our season kicks off tonight at home to Stjarnan in the CL qualifiers. These qualifiers come around so quickly, and of course our opponents are usually well into their seasons as Stjarnan are - 11 games in. They've had a poor start to their season sitting in 6th in the league at the moment. Of course, it's a must win game really and you'd think that anything other than a comprehensive win is failure. We should be well capable of a decent win at home against these guys.

Commons is out injured, everyone else available. Will be interesting to see who Deila plays, especially of the new bhoys Janko, Boyata and Ciftci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

PauloMN wrote: »
    Well folks our season kicks off tonight at home to Stjarnan in the CL qualifiers. These qualifiers come around so quickly, and of course our opponents are usually well into their seasons as Stjarnan are - 11 games in. They've had a poor start to their season sitting in 6th in the league at the moment. Of course, it's a must win game really and you'd think that anything other than a comprehensive win is failure. We should be well capable of a decent win at home against these guys.

Commons is out injured, everyone else available. Will be interesting to see who Deila plays, especially of the new bhoys Janko, Boyata and Ciftci.

Is the match on TV ?

gustafo wrote: »
    Is the match on TV ?

Away leg is but not tonight's home game as far as I know. Only on Celtic TV for subscribers outside of the UK and Ireland.

I think Griffiths will start up front ahead of Ciftci. Boyata will probably make his competitive debut though at center back as Van Dijk is suspended. Right back may be the most up for grabs. With Lustig still not back 100% does he risk him in a game we should win or does he save him and play maybe Ambrose at right back given Janko has only just arrived.

CELTIC v FC Stjarnan: Gordon; Lustig, Boyata, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Brown, Bitton; Mackay-Steven, Johansen, Armstrong; Ciftci

subs: Ambrose, Griffiths, Stokes, Rogic, Bailly, Forrest, Fisher

Our midfield is looking very strong these days. Will be watching Boyata with keen interest to see how he looks. I know it should be a relatively easy game, but a big ask for two new players to start in a CL qualifier. Fans won't be long getting on their backs if things go wrong!

No arguments about that lineup although that back line is rusty and lacking competitive gametime together. I dont think that will be exposed tonight as the midfield will run riot. Important not to have a slow start and give the opposition something to play for

Decent start from Celtic, plenty of chances but you can see the lack of games in the final ball. Should be at least 1 up already, but it looks like just a matter of time to be honest. Stjarnan not up to much so far. Ciftci and Johansen both with decent chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Away leg is but not tonight's home game as far as I know. Only on Celtic TV for subscribers outside of the UK and Ireland.

Thought by sports had rights to all champions league games like

And Boyata heads in his first goal for Celtic, 1-0.

Johansen makes it 2-0. Settled into it now, expect another 1 or 2 before FT.

Very average performance to be kind to Celtic even for this stage of the season. Stjarnan had several chances before the 2nd goal which came without much pressure on our defence.

Hopefully Griffiths adds a few goals here

Griffiths has a penalty saved. The Stjarnan keeper has been their best player tonight, some decent saves.

To be honest, it's no bad thing to be playing a side like this at this stage. I wouldn't like to be going into the next couple of rounds having no competitive games played against the quality of sides that can crop up at that stage of the qualifiers.

Another decent save from Neilsen the Stjarnan keeper. Could have been 4 or 5 for Celtic in this game, hopefully the passing and finishing will improve over the next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good result. Clean sheet and I expect ye to score over there. 98% there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I see the united kingdom and the republic of ireland's Anthony Stokes came off the bench

I see the united kingdom and the republic of ireland's Anthony Stokes came off the bench

What's this?

• Advertisement

Should have enough in hand to see the tie out next week and should come on a bit for the run out.

A 3rd goal would've been better though and the penalty was the ideal opportunity to get it. Squabbling over who takes penalties is amateur hour stuff. Ronny says he wants to stamp that out, he should fine Johanson for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement