Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoil Caravan Park 2010

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have been attending Fleadh Cheoil for many years and have fondly enjoyed the whole experience of the Fleadh. Over the years, I have camped at the Fleadh and more recently I have moved on to caravanning. I use the caravan quite a lot for traditional music related festivals, family holidays and on occasion for work. Therefore, I have had great experience of many campsites around the country.

Recently, I have been accessing www.fleadh2010.ie to obtain information regarding parking a caravan at fleadh 2010. To my horror I have found that you are charging €30 per night for parking in the Family Camp Site with no individual power supplied. You also intend on charging €10 for an additional tent and a further €10 for an additional car. This is not just grossly unfair but daylight robbery. The cost of parking in nearby Virginia per night varies from €18 to €22 with an additional charge of €3 for electric hookup. An additional tent in this campsite would be €2 and €2 for an additional car This would be considered, I think to be above average for parking a caravan per night in Ireland.

I parked my caravan in Tullamore in 2009 at the Harriers Athletic Grounds. I paid €25 per night for caravan, extra tent and two cars (total €100). This was from Thursday evening until Monday afternoon. The organisers had the goodwill to allow us to stay until Tuesday, with the extra night being free of charge. This to me offered good value for money and I did not mind sacrificing the electric hookup. There is no indication whether showers will be provided on site or not and if so will these cost extra. This is a facility that was free of charge in Tullamore in 2009. If I were to have the same combination at Fleadh 2010, it would cost me €200 (excluding showers). This is a 100% increase in 12 short months.

I have also noticed that the cost of pitching a tent in the campsite is €40 per person for the weekend. This may sound fair but when compared, the cost of pitching a tent in Letterkenny in 2006 was €30 per person. I also checked the prices for Tullamore 2009, which was also €30 per person. That is 33% increase in 12 months. (www.fleadh2009.com/stay). Credit is due to the organisers of the Fleadh in Tullamore, where they held the Fleadh for three years, quite successfully and still did not increase prices. Tullamore built up an excellent reputation over the three years and this is the first time that Cavan are holding the Fleadh. I certainly hope that the Cavan Fleadh is a success but I see this as a poor beginning.

I do not need to go on the whole rant of the devastating economic period in this country. We are all feeling the effects of it and are constantly reminded. The prices you are quoting for caravans and tents at Fleadh 2010 do not reflect this. I must also point out that I attended the Ulster Fleadh in Castlewellan in 2009 with my caravan and was not charged for parking in the local soccer pitch which was located almost next to the competition venues. I also attended the Fermanagh County Fleadh earlier this year with my caravan and must applaud the goodwill of the committee to allow me to park on the grounds of the community centre, again free of charge, where competitions were held. I must point out that I am not an Ulster musician but in fact from Co. Clare. I thoroughly enjoy attending Fleadh’s not only the All Ireland but also at county and provincial level. It appears to me on this occasion, the pricing structure is based on an apparent monopoly and utter greed.

In conclusion, I think that this is yet another attempt on the part of CCÉ to wrangle as much money as possible from dedicated Fleadh followers. There is no value in what you offer at the campsites and certainly no justification for the outrageous prices. These dedicated followers are constantly undermined and looked down on from the hierarchy of the upper echelons of CCÉ. The majority camping at Fleadh Cheoil are young musicians which will form the future of the organisation. You must remember that without the musicians attending Fleadh Cheoil, it is nothing. The old saying, ‘Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí’ seems to be well and truly forgotten. I hope that you will take time to read this email and consider the seriousness of the situation. The provision of campsites is well and truly welcomed at Fleadh Cheoil but not at the outrageous prices you are quoting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

'You' ? Who are you addressing this to exactly? If you have an issue with this did you email the accommodation office?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

My apologies Futurecrook.
    I have sent this email to the accommodation office. I was simply posting here to get some feedback from people on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Oh right, that's grand. I would agree that the prices are ever so slightly extortionate. Just wanted to make sure you'd complained to the appropriate people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

What do you expect, its Cavan for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SenoritaIrish

Hi reelkidmusic,

I come with good news :-)

Yes its a bit dearer for €40 for tents but facilities do not compare, please read below.

I am just back from Cavan where I checked out all 3 campsites.

The main CS in Equestrian centre will be a real gem, far the best at a Fleadh (this is coimg from a Tullamore girl :)). Its huge, has flat terraced camping areas, food will be available on site ( happy days). Shuttle bus goes every 15 mins and its the same distance from town as Charleville castle is from Tullamore.

Paul Brady plays at the centre Fri nite! Another surprise is there are deadly facilities for campervans with electrcitiy.

The scoil Eigse campsite in Cavan Rugby club is the very same as Tullamore. The bar will be open for evening sessions. Its very walkable from town and they are well prepared.

There is another family camper van site in Cavan Gales GAA club which opens on the Monday this is right on the edge of the town centre ( no electrcitiy here)

I have confirmed that all prices for camper vans are €25 per night. The right prices are now up on the website.

So all in all it should be a blast for all you fellow campers.

Hasta pronto :)

I have been attending Fleadh Cheoil for many years and have fondly enjoyed the whole experience of the Fleadh. Over the years, I have camped at the Fleadh and more recently I have moved on to caravanning. I use the caravan quite a lot for traditional music related festivals, family holidays and on occasion for work. Therefore, I have had great experience of many campsites around the country.

Recently, I have been accessing www.fleadh2010.ie to obtain information regarding parking a caravan at fleadh 2010. To my horror I have found that you are charging €30 per night for parking in the Family Camp Site with no individual power supplied. You also intend on charging €10 for an additional tent and a further €10 for an additional car. This is not just grossly unfair but daylight robbery. The cost of parking in nearby Virginia per night varies from €18 to €22 with an additional charge of €3 for electric hookup. An additional tent in this campsite would be €2 and €2 for an additional car This would be considered, I think to be above average for parking a caravan per night in Ireland.

I parked my caravan in Tullamore in 2009 at the Harriers Athletic Grounds. I paid €25 per night for caravan, extra tent and two cars (total €100). This was from Thursday evening until Monday afternoon. The organisers had the goodwill to allow us to stay until Tuesday, with the extra night being free of charge. This to me offered good value for money and I did not mind sacrificing the electric hookup. There is no indication whether showers will be provided on site or not and if so will these cost extra. This is a facility that was free of charge in Tullamore in 2009. If I were to have the same combination at Fleadh 2010, it would cost me €200 (excluding showers). This is a 100% increase in 12 short months.

I have also noticed that the cost of pitching a tent in the campsite is €40 per person for the weekend. This may sound fair but when compared, the cost of pitching a tent in Letterkenny in 2006 was €30 per person. I also checked the prices for Tullamore 2009, which was also €30 per person. That is 33% increase in 12 months. (www.fleadh2009.com/stay). Credit is due to the organisers of the Fleadh in Tullamore, where they held the Fleadh for three years, quite successfully and still did not increase prices. Tullamore built up an excellent reputation over the three years and this is the first time that Cavan are holding the Fleadh. I certainly hope that the Cavan Fleadh is a success but I see this as a poor beginning.

I do not need to go on the whole rant of the devastating economic period in this country. We are all feeling the effects of it and are constantly reminded. The prices you are quoting for caravans and tents at Fleadh 2010 do not reflect this. I must also point out that I attended the Ulster Fleadh in Castlewellan in 2009 with my caravan and was not charged for parking in the local soccer pitch which was located almost next to the competition venues. I also attended the Fermanagh County Fleadh earlier this year with my caravan and must applaud the goodwill of the committee to allow me to park on the grounds of the community centre, again free of charge, where competitions were held. I must point out that I am not an Ulster musician but in fact from Co. Clare. I thoroughly enjoy attending Fleadh’s not only the All Ireland but also at county and provincial level. It appears to me on this occasion, the pricing structure is based on an apparent monopoly and utter greed.

In conclusion, I think that this is yet another attempt on the part of CCÉ to wrangle as much money as possible from dedicated Fleadh followers. There is no value in what you offer at the campsites and certainly no justification for the outrageous prices. These dedicated followers are constantly undermined and looked down on from the hierarchy of the upper echelons of CCÉ. The majority camping at Fleadh Cheoil are young musicians which will form the future of the organisation. You must remember that without the musicians attending Fleadh Cheoil, it is nothing. The old saying, ‘Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí’ seems to be well and truly forgotten. I hope that you will take time to read this email and consider the seriousness of the situation. The provision of campsites is well and truly welcomed at Fleadh Cheoil but not at the outrageous prices you are quoting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ruru

hi senoritairish
    How far is walkable to town from scoil eisge site, If you are carrying a harp?

The rate per night for parking a caravan at Fleadh 2010 has been reduced from €30 to €25. This is merely a token reduction and does not signify any value for money whatsoever. There is still a charge of €10 for an additional tent and a further €10 to park an additional car.

To park a car currently within the environs of Cavan town, the charges range from €0.40 to €0.60 per hour between the hours of 9am and 6pm. There is no charge for overnight parking. This equates to between €3.60 and €4.80 per day. Any common sense will show that the notional figure of €10 is over and above the average charge for parking in Cavan town.

At this point, I again must commend the organisers of Fleadh Uladh, where camping and parking of caravans were offered completely free of charge. This is an exception to the rule within C.C.E. There is also no provision for individual electricity on each caravan at Fleadh 2010. The charge of €25 is over and above average for parking at a campsite as outlined in earlier emails. As outlined in previous emails, the goodwill offered at Fleadh 2009 in Tullamore left a very good taste to those using the facilities provided. This year, on the other hand there is a cloud hanging over Fleadh 2010 for me. This is one example that Fleadh 2010 is being set up as a money grabbing affair. So far, it is the only example that we know about. We simply do not know what to expect. The cost of camping has been increased by 80% on last year. Can we expect all other commodities at Fleadh 2010 to be increased by 80%? These are the questions that I would like answered. I would also like an explanation to justify such price increases.

However, I am sure the powers that be, in their wisdom will not make any further efforts to offer value for money to their customers. I do feel that this is another example of C.C.E using their double edged sword to promote Irish traditional music on one hand and on the other turn away the grassroots community who religiously follow the Fleadh Cheoil circuit each year.

I have sent this email to the "powers" of Comhaltas! I patiently await a respnse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Millymac

I've just checked out the www.fleadh2010.ie website and looked at the pricing which seems to be revised. The prices are now as follows:

This campsite opens Saturday 14th August at 07.30 hrs and closes Monday 23rd August at 17.00hrs. The Scoil Eigse Campsite is located in Cavan Rugby Club.

Campers using this site must be registered with Scoil Eigse. This is a family camp site. Power supply included

Cost:Camper vans, €170.00 for the full term (with one car free).
    Extra tent €10.00 per day
    Extra car €10.00 per day
    A booking deposit secures

Family Camp Site

This site opens Monday 16th August at 09.00hrs and closes at 18.00hrs on Monday 23rd August. Located in Terry Coyle Park (Cavan Gaels).

No individual power supplied
    Cost: Camper vans/caravans, 25.00 per night (with one car free).
    Extra tent €10.00 per day
    Extra Car €10.00 per day
    A booking deposit secures

Weekend Camp Site

This site opens on Thursday 19th August at 14.00 hrs and closes at 13.00 hrs on Tuesday 24th August. Located at Cavan Equestrian Centre.

Cost: €40.00 per person for the duration of camping.
    Extra car €10.00 per day
    Facilities on site include a restaurant and bar.
    Excellent facilities for disabled visitors

The Rugby Club and the Cavan Gaels sites have temporary disabled facilities. However we recommend the Equestrian centre for disabled visitors because they have permanent disabled facilities with ramps and a lift on site.

Toilets and showers are free of charge on all sites.

Terry Coyle is only a 5 minute walk to town, Rugby Club is 10 minute walk and Cavan Equestrian Centre approx 15 minutes walk.

Looking forward to a good week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Millymac

Terry Coyle is only a 5 minute walk to town, Rugby Club is 10 minute walk from Cavan town.

ruru wrote: »
    hi senoritairish
    How far is walkable to town from scoil eisge site, If you are carrying a harp?

Millymac, the prices have been revised but for me to park the same combination as I did last year in Tullamore (Caravan, Tent and two cars) will cost me 80% more in Cavan.

That combination was €25 per night in Tullamore. Prior to the revision of prices it was set at €50. With the price revision it will now cost €45. I don't know many people who agree with a price hike of 80% in 12 months. We all know only too well the state of the economy. Are the prices of everything else going to be hiked up by as much at Fleadh 2010? The spirit of the Fleadh is being lost through sheer greed.

• Advertisement

If there is anybody else that considers the cost of camping to be over priced, they should get in contact with the Fleadh committee. If there is some support shown, they will have to lower prices.

At the moment, I am the only person who has highlighted this issue and they do not seem to be listening to my point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

terry coyle park is IN town (its outside my bedroom window) approx 2 minutes to the town square. rugby club is about 10 mins walk, but there is a wee bit of an uphill walk for anyone with heavy instrument cases.. equestrian centre is about 20 min casual walk with instruments to town centre. should be loads of taxis btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackmadra

You should call the Joe Duffy show. He got head shops outlawed for christs sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

If there is anybody else that considers the cost of camping to be over priced, they should get in contact with the Fleadh committee. If there is some support shown, they will have to lower prices.

At the moment, I am the only person who has highlighted this issue and they do not seem to be listening to my point of view.

I just emailed them about this also.

Anybody know of any "unauthorised" camping in or around Cavan town. There was loads in Tullamore near the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Camping now €10 per person per night :)

"let cavan surprise you" is the buzzword were all tkin bord here... tryin relentlessly to shake off the "mean cavan bastard" tag we have.... and ironically the man responsible for it . mr niall toibin has got a gig a gaelige in cavan in the midst of the whole thing... the ****!

on another note, the towns startin to get a buzz about it, just went for a walk, pauric nealon is setting up trad instrument shop on main st, and fox's den cd shop are set up and running on bridge st... its like willie week in cavan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seventh_wave65

Hey
    I was looking at staying at the equestrian centre for camping so just wondering if you had a little bit more details on the facilities? I know there are showers but is there somewhere an electrical supply can be used - ie where I could sort out the gruaige in the mornings with a hairdryer? I'll be in a tent not a campervan...

I know high maintenance but its the only way I'd survive the 4 days! lol

Thanks for the help
    Hi reelkidmusic,

I come with good news :-)

Yes its a bit dearer for €40 for tents but facilities do not compare, please read below.

I am just back from Cavan where I checked out all 3 campsites.

The main CS in Equestrian centre will be a real gem, far the best at a Fleadh (this is coimg from a Tullamore girl :)). Its huge, has flat terraced camping areas, food will be available on site ( happy days). Shuttle bus goes every 15 mins and its the same distance from town as Charleville castle is from Tullamore.

Paul Brady plays at the centre Fri nite! Another surprise is there are deadly facilities for campervans with electrcitiy.

The scoil Eigse campsite in Cavan Rugby club is the very same as Tullamore. The bar will be open for evening sessions. Its very walkable from town and they are well prepared.

There is another family camper van site in Cavan Gales GAA club which opens on the Monday this is right on the edge of the town centre ( no electrcitiy here)

I have confirmed that all prices for camper vans are €25 per night. The right prices are now up on the website.

So all in all it should be a blast for all you fellow campers.

Hasta pronto :)

flanum wrote: »
    "let cavan surprise you" is the buzzword were all tkin bord here... tryin relentlessly to shake off the "mean cavan bastard" tag we have.... and ironically the man responsible for it . mr niall toibin has got a gig a gaelige in cavan in the midst of the whole thing... the ****!

It is very tempting to wage a war on the old 'mean cavan bastard' tag but so far I have been restrained and not mentioned or alluded to it. I think it is unfair to use that expression because it is not just an issue relating to Cavan. It is a reflection on Comhaltas and their desire to screw such loyal Fleadh goers. This is setting a precedent for future Fleadhanna wherever they may be. It is unfair to be charging 80% more than last year to park a caravan in a field with no electric hook up. It was a poor decision and if the Fleadh committee had any wit they would rectify such exorbitant prices and not bury their heads in the sand as they have done up to now. There is nobody willing to stand up to the mark and admit that they have made a mistake. They have simply ignored and hoped that it will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

hi, I'm attending a workshop in the Farnham Arms on fri 20th @ 6pm. Does anybody know which would be the best park and walk facility to use for quickest access to this hotel ?

btw: I am arriving from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

hi, I'm attending a workshop in the Farnham Arms on fri 20th @ 6pm. Does anybody know which would be the best park and walk facility to use for quickest access to this hotel ?

btw: I am arriving from Dublin.

The Farnham is bang in the centre of town. The Breffni Park one is probably the closest to town on the Dublin side.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Which campsite is 10 euro per night

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

thanks
    The Farnham is bang in the centre of town. The Breffni Park one is probably the closest to town on the Dublin side.

Advertisement