Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 World Club Challenge.

Options
  • 28-02-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Great start for Leeds, though Melbourne made a lot of ground with their first set.

Thought the Leeds player should've run on after that chargedown.
    Going for 2 points? Disappointing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How long are you allowed hang around after a tackle?
    Cameron Smith has some mouth on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Had the distinct feeling Melbourne were taking it very easy for most of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

The tediously slow play-the-ball's meant the game was never going to be condusive to open rugby. The resultant defensive arm-wrestle was always going to favour the Storm's ruthlessly efficient defence structure.

It is a pity for Leeds that McDonald was injured, as I am sure he would have scored on the two opportunities that Watkins squandered, by not keeping control of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Just home from the game.

All in all the better team won, in the second half they seemed to make more yards per set which is always going to lead to a score or two. I didn't enjoy the Leeds fans booing and singing at the red; Storm defence was great and their contact skills meant that Leeds players were on their backs and Storm were dominant. Ref reffed it as he should (granted there was a couple of times where I thought the player was held down slightly long, but that went for both sides).

I was very impressed with the Melbourne pack, particularly Tolman who got through heaps of work. Leeds need to lose Bailey ASAP; didn't see him to anything meaningful. Went into the scuffle like ten men only to grab a shirt and then knocked on on his next hit-up, just when you want your hardmen fronting up. His next involvement was an attempt at a big hit on Lima who just rode it and got to his front...Don't think we then saw Bailey in the second half.

Leeds missed Sinfield's direction without doubt but I'm a bit gutted there was no Cooper Cronk as we would have then seen the world's best hooker in his element.

Not a bad crowd, approx 28,000. Atmoshpere was alright, quite cold though. You could see Carney's barnet from a good distance in the studio!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Silverwood's refereeing was an absolute disgrace and destroyed the game. You cant ask Leeds to play to one set of rules week-in, week-out in the SL and then adopt a totally different approach to the tackle/Play the ball in the WCC..a joke...I didn't make the game because I wasn't back from the Ireland game in time, just watched it on sky+, glad I missed it. How Melbourne kept 13 men on the field for the full 80 is absolutely beyond me. 3 warnings as least from Silverwood and no action taken. Melbourne had so much time to get set defnsively that Leeds couldn't build up any attacking impetus.

Having said all that, its a game they could and should have won.

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    How Melbourne kept 13 men on the field for the full 80 is absolutely beyond me. 3 warnings as least from Silverwood and no action taken. Melbourne had so much time to get set defnsively that Leeds couldn't build up any attacking impetus.

Having said all that, its a game they could and should have won.

I do agree that there were too many warnings...they lose their impact when the ref dishes loads of them.

Leeds certainly could've won it; I feel for Watkins, hopefully he will bounce back from this disappointment.

Senior's conduct to be reviewed regarding some post match comments he made re:Silverwood. personally I think he was absolutely on the money. I'll not be attending the WCC again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/leeds/8542900.stm

toomevara wrote: »
    Senior's conduct to be reviewed regarding some post match comments he made re:Silverwood. personally I think he was absolutely on the money. I'll not be attending the WCC again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/leeds/8542900.stm

He may be in for a fine here. Justin Morgan got £4,000 (half suspended) for his comments on Ben Thaler last year.

Senior's been fined a grand. Money well spent imo....

Advertisement