Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kayaking Co Clare

• 25-12-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi
    I have just bought a sit on top kayak looking to use it in lakes rivers or calm sea im new to kayaking. but would prefer to go out with others as have little experence if anyone interested. cant seem to find any clubs around this side of the country co clare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LAhinch

check out limerick canoe club, there on bebo, i would go out paddling but left my kayak back home in st Helens uk, so unless you got a spare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

Sit on top Kayaks are the best to learn in, you don't have a cockpit to hold you in so you don't need to be able to execute an eskimo roll, they are particularly good fun in the surf and a great core exersise. However you must not be afraid of getting wet and with sit on top Kayaks that is all a part of the game. For your first outing I would suggest a good thick wetsuit 6mm at least for this time of year, hood, gloves. booties and a good boyancy aid with enough "Newtons" for your weight. Wade chest deep in calm water stay near shore and practice climbing back on board time and time again. Falling off is the easy bit but if you can scramble back on board proficiently enough you're set to go anywhere.
    If you're like me and you can't wait to buddy up or spend your time on the water according to some one elses schedule and you're going it alone, always tell someone where you are and what time you'll be back.
    Good luck with it, be safe and have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

geminidawn wrote: »
    If you're like me and you can't wait to buddy up or spend your time on the water according to some one elses schedule and you're going it alone, always tell someone where you are and what time you'll be back.
    Good luck with it, be safe and have fun!

Not a good idea, always paddle with others. It's not like hill walking where if things go wrong you can survive by waiting, if something goes wrong kayaking theres a reasonable chance that any help that's not already on the scene will be too late to be of any use.

not meaning to put anyone one of kayaking, just be aware that the risks of water sports are diffrent to that of other activities.

http://canoe.ie/Information/ClubContactList/tabid/1259/language/en-GB/Default.aspx is a list of kayak clubs in Ireland, don't see any in Clare, but there is one in Limerick, and maybe some of the others are Clare based and I just don't know where the are! Good luck with kayaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

KenHy wrote: »
    Not a good idea, always paddle with others. It's not like hill walking where if things go wrong you can survive by waiting, if something goes wrong kayaking theres a reasonable chance that any help that's not already on the scene will be too late to be of any use.

not meaning to put anyone one of kayaking, just be aware that the risks of water sports are diffrent to that of other activities.

http://canoe.ie/Information/ClubContactList/tabid/1259/language/en-GB/Default.aspx is a list of kayak clubs in Ireland, don't see any in Clare, but there is one in Limerick, and maybe some of the others are Clare based and I just don't know where the are! Good luck with kayaking!

Which is great if you have the Club or the population density nearby so there is always someone to go out with, where I am on the oceans edge if I had to rely on that I'd never get out on the water, so I do go it alone be it wise or not, on saying that I have also seen visiting Kayaking Clubs come here and make some near fatal mistakes.
    Be it a party of 1 or 10 the Sea makes the decisions at the end of the day, as a participant it vital to plan ahead, know the tides, weather, current, eddie tides etc.
    It is best that you practice in an environment you are safe and feel safe in. Travel to a Kayaking Centre and take a couple of days lessons if you have to. Build your confidence in your ability and equiptment. If you never have the confidence to be on the water then you really shouldn't be there, a lack of confidence alone can become a hazzard to your own safety.
    Every sport carries it's own risks and sadly enough people around here have been pulled from both the sea and the mountains, both have had their share of fatalities.
    Know the risks, know your environment and be prepared for them.
    In my travels I have been fortunate enough to meet a man who single handedly kayaked around the coast of Scotland and he says that there is no substitute for experience.
    Have the upmost respect and knowlege of the environment you are getting into but don't be afraid of it.
    I am a boat builder to trade and I have spent my life on the sea, I build all my own canoes, paddleboards and kayaks and I'm always out on the water, mind you on saying that you'll never find me up the side of a mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Please don't take that as a slight against yourself, obviously if you are experienced enough and know the risks, it's up to you to decide weather you wish to take a chance and go out alone or not.

It's just not something I would recommend to a beginner, which the OP uprears to be, as they not be as aware of the risks and as I'm sure you know even placid looking bays or flat meandering rivers can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LAhinch

take a look at meteireann.ie, http://windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=47735,stormsurf and to help you plan your trips http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Surf-Report/52/lan , there's a good book called Oileain a guide to the irish islands, http://www.oileain.org/oileain.htm it's got the shannon estuary and county by county info
    i don't know any other swell forecast sites for ireland, anyone else know any???

• Registered Users Posts: 14 white fox

Hi' Not a good idea paddling on ur own.Better 2 have at least 3 people.Started kiaking 2 yrs ago.Have level 2 coarse done.Dislocated my shoulder a yr ago.Back paddling again on flat water.Great 2 get bak againMighty craic.Looking 4 some 1 to go paddling with.Not much fun on ur own.Just want 2 go on flat water or lake and river nothing 2 serious 4 the moment.Best of luck and happy paddling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mod note: Thread moved from Sailing & Boating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye Gemini, it's a bad idea to be recommending goign out alone to a beginner.
    Avoid it if you can at all. Do a training course, or find someone you can learn with.
    Avoid beaches with rips, stick to calm sheltered bays and inlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kadimad2013

hi I keep coming across this post to do with kayaking there is a lad doing kayaking all over Co Clare. I did a trip or 2 with him and after awhile I bought my own kayak and he had no problem with showing me the skills I needed and letting me tag along on trips till I felt confident and I still go on trips to this day. www.clarekayakhire.com hope this helps people wanting to get kayaking in Co Clare.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mental mark

if you are ever around kildare there is a great new club after setting up there in athy good range of kayaks for a new club, they also have rowing boats there as well and always eager for new members

Advertisement