Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a Ice hockey or Field Hockey section?

• 03-04-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I vote Field Hockey!

Ice/Field Hockey 12 votes

Field Hockey
    0% 0 votes
    Ice Hockey
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

beautiful wrote: »
    I vote Field Hockey!

Way to come in and put your foot down !!

Alright boys ....back to the pond !!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

We'll fight for it. And win.

I asked that question when the forum started and was told both. So ha!

Plus, you get as many votes as your post count, so Ice Hockey wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautiful

****! ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It is not as if either side is beating down the door to get in to this forum.

I have no problem what people post in here, so long as everyone understands that Detroit Sucks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Before I posted this I did a little homework analysing the board.
    Out of the 9 threads currently on the board, 4 of them relate to ice hockey, 2 to field hockey, 2 have ice and field related replies and 1 post querying street hockey happenings.

I counted 16 regular posters for ice hockey, and 9 each for street and field hockey.

Incidentally, the busiest thread in here besides the NHL season thread is the inquiry about street hockey, and one or two members are happy to post relating to all three sports.

It seems to me then that this question is somewhat irrelevant and unnecessary. Personally I think the two sports grab equal amounts of attention from the members posting on the board.

Someone once remarked to me that people are always finding ways to divide each other. I don't think there should be a division on the board over who likes ice hockey or field hockey, I'm sure the people posting on here are open minded enough not to let that get in the way of whether they address them in a post or acknowledge each others existence.

I Hope I didn't take the pole too seriously. I realise this could just be a bit of fun too to get some friendly banter going between hockey fans of both disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Ice ice baby yeah, love it!!!

I think everyone in Ireland should be made go to a game!

Field hockey is not that big where i come from but would love to give it a go!

Could i use Ice Hockey goalie gear to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Why would anybody want to ruin the wonderful game of hockey by playing it on grass and dirt? :p

Ha ha...we've moved on a few steps to a little surface called astroturf...use to play on grit and that was ridiculous, but its where it all started.

To be honest Id love to play ice hockey but there just doesnt seem to be anywhere in Dublin that I could play? Maybe I just havent looked hard enough...but then again I love field hockey so prob wouldnt have time to play it.

The Poll was a bit of banter, nothing serious...

Is there Ice hockey clubs in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Is there Ice hockey clubs in Dublin?

All these are ice hockey clubs based in Dublin

Flyers http://www.flyersicehockey.com/ A league only
    Rams www.dublinrams.com A & B league
    Wolves www.dublinwolves.com B League only

Many of the other clubs have players from Dublin in them but these above are the main clubs based in Dublin

But remembering we all play in Dundalk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Either is fine with me. My duaghter started to play Field hockey last year in High School.

Weird game, but enjoyable and some folks on here have tried to help me understand what's going on.

I at least now know tha backhand shots are a no-no in field hockey.

• Advertisement

Backhand shots a no no? Maybe you mean you cant use the back of the stick, but you sure as hell use a reverse stick shot...

If you want to anything bout the game, just ask...I love it and am more than happy to talk about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Backhand shots a no no? Maybe you mean you cant use the back of the stick, but you sure as hell use a reverse stick shot...

If you want to anything bout the game, just ask...I love it and am more than happy to talk about it :)

Thanks beautiful.

In hockey parlance a backhand is using the back of the blade. Just a definition of different terminology between the sports.

Since field hockey is upon us shortly, I will be in touch. :)

Last year after a game I was talking to one of the referees and she was telling me that the rules are weird. She was one of the top refs in the city too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Thanks beautiful.

In hockey parlance a backhand is using the back of the blade. Just a definition of different terminology between the sports.

Since field hockey is upon us shortly, I will be in touch. :)

Last year after a game I was talking to one of the referees and she was telling me that the rules are weird. She was one of the top refs in the city too.

:D too many stoppages for the ball hitting someone's foot!! Gimme a break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Why would anybody want to ruin the wonderful game of hockey by playing it on grass and dirt? :p
    don't they keep those ice rinks clean?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

Field hockey - the gentlemens' sport :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joker55

i vote for field, lets face it we're not the most spectator friendly sport but its great to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 belvederehockey

It just has to be a vote for field hockey! You havent lived till both your knees have been burned off you on an astro pitch!:) If anyone is looking to play in Cork we have a club there so give me a shout and ill point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

joker55 wrote: »
    i vote for field, lets face it we're not the most spectator friendly sport but its great to play

How is it not the most spectator friendly sport? Lots of other spectator friendly sports involve a pitch, two teams and a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Lets just call Ice Hockey "Hockey"
    and field hockey "Field Hockey"
    Ice hockey os older, more established in the world, and a far far more popular sport,
    and thats me being impartial

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

play a lot of ice hockey in the sub continent do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

copacetic wrote: »
    play a lot of ice hockey in the sub continent do they?
    New Zealand,
    Australia,
    Argentina,
    Brazil
    and Nambia
    But I was comparing numbers, smartie

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Junior #8 wrote: »
    New Zealand,
    Australia,
    Argentina,
    Brazil
    and Nambia
    But I was comparing numbers, smartie

that was my point, field hockey is massive in India and Pakistan. Somehow I doubt you are taking their numbers into account when you think that ice hockey is 'far far' more popular that hockey.

It is also massive in Australia, New Zealand and Argentina by the way, probably 100s of times more people playing field hockey that ice hockey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Junior #8 wrote: »
    Lets just call Ice Hockey "Hockey"
    and field hockey "Field Hockey"
    Ice hockey os older, more established in the world, and a far far more popular sport,
    and thats me being impartial

erm...no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PRIDGE

Ice Hockey is the fastest,the most skillful and the toughest game.I hope someday the Hockey will really catch on here in Ireland and the UK.
    Pat Ridge;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

i vote field hockey

way more irish people play it... i only know one ice hockey team nd tonnes of field hockey ones

Advertisement