Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering Images

Options
  • 19-06-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

I find myself in the unfortunate situation where a batch of important photos were deleted from my SD card. I selected them on file explorer and deleted from there.

It gets worse. I've since used the card for photographing, as I wasn't aware of my error at the time.

Does anyone have an idea if I could recover these? Thanks in advance.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For every shot you took the odds go down. If it was only five or ten shots since deleting then *maybe* you might some back. If it was 100 you're SOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ChrisBarrett7

I'll have to check later how many but I think I could be out of luck :( Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I had a batch of images "evaporate" while I was reorganising files and folders some time back - all the images taken on a particular day/at a particular location. By the time I realised, I had done lots of other shuffling about and deleting of files and folders. However, when I ran ... ?Recuva (I think) on the laptop I'd used to handle the import/export, it found all the files (deleted from an external hard-drive) in the recycle bin. Now before you get your hopes up, they were nearly all RAW files (.CR2) and the recovered files were about 20-ish MB in size, each, which was the "right" size - but I could only preview and open a handful.

Further research suggested that the headers were probably corrupted by the deletion/re-writing but if I could graft a new header into the file using something called a hexadecimal editor, it was more than likely that the image info was still there and in good health. As you've probably figured out, I haven't yet got around to doing that (not enough long, cold, miserable winters since! :) - and I did get lucky in that the one image I really wanted was one of the few that survived)

Moral of the story: scan the computer aswell as the card ... and be prepared to find an awful lot of stuff that you really didn't want to see again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I’ve used recuva successfully for images deleted on a memory card, but your chances of success are lower since you’ve used the card since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

How much is recoverable will depend on many factors.

If the card was nearly full there is a greater chance of data loss. The less space used on the card the better the chance of recovering the images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Create an img from sdcard with ftk imager or dd command line..then use binwalk or autospy to try and recover any files on sd card.

Advertisement