Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ironman Race Reports

Options
  • 24-06-2019 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All,

Other then the Swim being Canceled and the bad weather, overall was it a good course ?

Giving my self 2 years to get Iron-fit after a long break from Triathlons...
    During the cycle route Was "Windmill" Hill really 21% looking at "Mapmyride" & "Ridewithgps" they are showing max grade was 13.2% ?

Was the bike course tough, I was keeping an eye on a few people i knew who were doing it and 3 of them didn't take part in the run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’m sure others who took part will respond at some point, but from talking with a few people I know who finished it, the challenge on the bike was the elements (the wet and cold from driving rain and wind) more than anything else. That’s not to say it’s an easy course, but I got the impression they could have handled it so much better on a “normal” day (ie not a biblical flood!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

docker.io wrote: »
    Hi All,

Other then the Swim being Canceled and the bad weather, overall was it a good course ?

Giving my self 2 years to get Iron-fit after a long break from Triathlons...
    During the cycle route Was "Windmill" Hill really 21% looking at "Mapmyride" & "Ridewithgps" they are showing max grade was 13.2% ?

Was the bike course tough, I was keeping an eye on a few people i knew who were doing it and 3 of them didn't take part in the run.

The bike course was good and fast a few rolling up and downs nothing major some sections the road surface wasn’t great, Windmill is steep but it’s very very short you will fly up it both times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Overall, found it to be fantastic. Yes the weather was crap that day but it was really an anomaly to be that bad. The swim location looked absolutely fantastic and I swam there on the Friday evening, clear waters, really not too cold at all.

The cycle is probably the hardest part, with lots of ups and downs and not the greatest rolling surface but definitely scenic and a good challenge. If you can reccie the route in advance it helps.

The run was up there with the best marathon I have ever ran from a support perspective. I’ve done Dublin and New York etc and found the support in Youghal on a different level. It was much more than just clapping, it was screaming, roaring and willing you to keep running at all costs. Tiny kids out in the rain giving high fives. Outside one pub was a group of 20+ lads going mental singing songs. On the last lap, one old guy who turns out to be the local lollipop man, was on the road shaking people’s hand as they passed, said thanks and congratulations. And everyone stayed out ALL DAY despite the weather. Honestly, could not even begin to imagine the atmosphere had the weather been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Cona wrote: »
    Overall, found it to be fantastic. Yes the weather was crap that day but it was really an anomaly to be that bad. The swim location looked absolutely fantastic and I swam there on the Friday evening, clear waters, really not too cold at all.

The cycle is probably the hardest part, with lots of ups and downs and not the greatest rolling surface but definitely scenic and a good challenge. If you can reccie the route in advance it helps.

The run was up there with the best marathon I have ever ran from a support perspective. I’ve done Dublin and New York etc and found the support in Youghal on a different level. It was much more than just clapping, it was screaming, roaring and willing you to keep running at all costs. Tiny kids out in the rain giving high fives. Outside one pub was a group of 20+ lads going mental singing songs. On the last lap, one old guy who turns out to be the local lollipop man, was on the road shaking people’s hand as they passed, said thanks and congratulations. And everyone stayed out ALL DAY despite the weather. Honestly, could not even begin to imagine the atmosphere had the weather been good.

This alone is making me want to take part next year!! Congrats on finishing in those conditions....it looked brutal! DNF rate of 20% + apparently!

I'm hoping to step up to Iron distance within the next 18 months - Cork 2020 could be an option!

The support was fantastic on the day!! Fair play to the locals of Youghal!

Advertisement