Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail seat reservations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't mind free travel on short distance buses in cities etc. but I think that on long distance intercity trains they should have to pay a discounted fare. A thing that annoys about IE is that they make no ticketing distinctions between commuter, dart and intercity for example if your travelling between Dublin and Drogheda it should be cheaper to go on a stopping service than a no-stop enterprise or the freeloading dart passengers on the Rosslare train needs to be stopped.

A lot of people in rural areas use free travel. It's very good for older people who go to hospital and other healthcare appointments by public transport. However it can be annoying when paying commuters have to push past hordes of pensioners with large spiky injurious plants coming from festivals like Bloom just to find a standing spot in a train they pay thousands a year to travel. Or try to negotiate past the large suitcases of pensioners bound for holidays abroad when you haven't had a proper holiday for years because you're so pressed for cash. I hate to say it but there are times I think free travel should be means tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I don't mind free travel on short distance buses in cities etc. but I think that on long distance intercity trains they should have to pay a discounted fare. A thing that annoys about IE is that they make no ticketing distinctions between commuter, dart and intercity for example if your travelling between Dublin and Drogheda it should be cheaper to go on a stopping service than a no-stop enterprise or the freeloading dart passengers on the Rosslare train needs to be stopped.

Why?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This is not a discussion about free travel, so back on topic folks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I can't wait till both passengers on a Limerick - Galway intercity train are put off at Gort for not having reserved a place.

I also think passengers who can barely fit on a commuter train at rush hour will think it's grand that they have to get their ticket checked every day, by an inspector who can't move through the train with over crowding...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Limerick to Galway is more of a commuter route than an intercity one and on commuter routes there should no seat reservations but on intercity trains it should be all reservations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Limerick to Galway is more of a commuter route than an intercity one

it's an intercity route. it probably has some commuter traffic but so do the other intercity and regional routes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

it's an intercity route. it probably has some commuter traffic but so do the other intercity and regional routes.

Sorry when I said commuter I meant regional. IEs defination is wrong if it was in most other European countries it would be classed as regional. A train betweven two small cities is not intercity its interegional. Limerick and Galway are regional hubs aswell as citites.

Advertisement