Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFlow tag may stop working on some toll roads

Options
  • 15-06-2016 8:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to last weeks SBP, which I'm reading now as I was sunning myself mostly inside at an event in Portugal last weekend, eFlow have failed to agree a new commission deal with Celtic Roads Group who operate the M1, M7/M8 and N25 tolls and as things stand, their tag will fail to operate at those tolls at the end of August.

Other tag operators aren't mentioned so I imagine they will continue to work - there is a dwindling number of these, though.

This does make a mockery of the NRA/TII system if there isn't a fixed commission rate and cross-billing system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

link

Hopefully this can be resolved by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doesn't look like it's getting sorted. Anyone have recommendations of other toll tag providers that will continue to work everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stark wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it's getting sorted. Anyone have recommendations of other toll tag providers that will continue to work everywhere?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057608879

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

From the eflow website:

https://www.eflow.ie/community/sponsorship/up-to-80-000-motorists-ma/index.xml
    This issue only effects eFlow tag holders. All other tags from other tag providers will continue to work on all toll roads.

If you want a tag that works on all tolled roads in Ireland then you will need to close your account with eFlow and open an account with an alternative tag provider. You will find a list of tag providers here: http://etoll.ie/getting-a-tag/irish-tag-companies/index.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Whats the best way to transfer to another provider? Seems like there is a tricky cancellation process to follow with eflow. I use the M50 every day so would want to avoid being caught between providers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Peace wrote: »
    Whats the best way to transfer to another provider? Seems like there is a tricky cancellation process to follow with eflow. I use the M50 every day so would want to avoid being caught between providers/

Hardly tricky process if it's as described in the email I received from eflow today:
    If, because of this, you decide to close your account with us, please give us a call on the number below and return your eFlow tag to the below address:
    eFlow,
    Cape House,
    Westend Office Park,
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

eFlow Customer Service Team
    1890 50 10 50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is ridiculous. Will they ever all sit down and sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is a failure of the NTA. Toll road operators should have a regulated "roaming" fee and all tag operators should be required to make service available at all tolls at this rate. The customer shouldn't have to put up with the this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 feire

Stark wrote: »

It is true, it is not going to be sorted.

I'm switching over to easytrip myself. Cheapest admin + they also offer parking. Which is pretty cool, I think.

Am I making the right choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Foo King Ell

feire wrote: »
    It is true, it is not going to be sorted.

I'm switching over to easytrip myself. Cheapest admin + they also offer parking. Which is pretty cool, I think.

Am I making the right choice?

I'd say yes. They are also independent of any toll road so they aren't caught up in the politics like the toll roads who also offer tags.
    They do seem to offer the cheapest rates, there's 25% off if you are a two car family on the second tag on the account and no one else is offering that that I can see? And the parking is a breeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This is a failure of the NTA. Toll road operators should have a regulated "roaming" fee and all tag operators should be required to make service available at all tolls at this rate. The customer shouldn't have to put up with the this crap.

The nra should make a byelaw to force all toll operators to accept all tags meeting the standard.
    They should force all toll operators to accept debit and credit cards too.

I'd say yes. They are also independent of any toll road so they aren't caught up in the politics like the toll roads who also offer tags.
    They do seem to offer the cheapest rates, there's 25% off if you are a two car family on the second tag on the account and no one else is offering that that I can see? And the parking is a breeze!

Ah, thanks.

Glad I am making the right decision then.

I also think that this is the right time to do it than putting it off for the last minute. They seem to already be getting pretty busy. As one can see from their social media channels.

I think everyone should do it now, to avoid delays later. The set up process is pretty easy anyway.

The nra should make a byelaw to force all toll operators to accept all tags meeting the standard.

True!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

With most debit cards being contactless now for charges under €30, this should be a no brainer. The scanner could be built into the outside of the booth or collection basket, can't see any good reason that it should not happen.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

With most debit cards being contactless now for charges under €30, this should be a no brainer. The scanner could be built into the outside of the booth or collection basket, can't see any good reason that it should not happen.

Outside of the booth yes....

On / Near the collection basket NO !!! Do you have any idea how many people would actually throw the card into the basket !! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Some of the Toll operators (certainly M4) do (or did not) authorise transaction real time, scheme rules for credit cards permit this, but not for debit cards, if they want to accept debit cards, their systems need to authorise the transactions, and this costs, also slows down slightly the passage through the toll booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is the etoll symbol a trademark?
    If so who owns it? can the nra prevent the operators using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

I see easytrip have a slightly cheeky ad on the radio at the moment that sounds a bit like an "official" public service announcement relating to this, but why shouldn't they make the most of it?

I'll probably switch to them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Looks like an agreement has been reached and there won't be any disruption for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Oops a daisy... I posted my tag back on Monday. Doesn't matter, don't use it much lately anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Too late... Easytrip does airport parking, so not coming back!

Advertisement