Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast tenderness

Options
  • 14-02-2021 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi ladies..

Just wondering if you experience pain under and to the side of the breast after running? I've been running for donkeys years and never had this before.
    I'm small breasted, 34A, so it's annoying to have it now as most Internet research states its large breasted women suffer from it due to ill fitting bras.
    I think mine is due to an ill fitted bra, but my question is howdo I stop running and should I wear a tight bra during the day to stop them moving at all?
    I've taken two ponstan this morning and jumped into a tight fitted sports bra and they were so tender trying to even take off my regular bra?
    Is trying to stop them moving altogether till they heal the right thing to do?
    I've also purchased a boo band (never heard of them till today when searching net for advice), so hopefully that helps going fwd.
    Any advice really greatly appreciated X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi,

I had something a little bit similar very recently actually. I went to my GP. I had torn all my pectoral muscles (doing press-ups :cool:). She prescribed anti inflammatory drugs & gel and referred me for a precautionary mammogram as well - purely precautionary she is 95% sure it was nothing sinister but there's a family history also... My pain was along the side of the breast and up into my arm pit. It was very tender to touch. I was ok running but showering or doing anything without wearing a really good supportive bra was very painful.

Anyhow, that's my experience. We can't give out medical advice so I'd say it might be worth a visit to your GP especially if it doesn't go away after a few days.

Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

scaredycat wrote: »
    Hi ladies..

Just wondering if you experience pain under and to the side of the breast after running? I've been running for donkeys years and never had this before.
    I'm small breasted, 34A, so it's annoying to have it now as most Internet research states its large breasted women suffer from it due to ill fitting bras.
    I think mine is due to an ill fitted bra, but my question is howdo I stop running and should I wear a tight bra during the day to stop them moving at all?
    I've taken two ponstan this morning and jumped into a tight fitted sports bra and they were so tender trying to even take off my regular bra?
    I've also purchased a boo band (never heard of them till today when searching net for advice), so hopefully that helps going fwd.

Hi, this is quite common for me. In fact in some of the old bra's I wore, I used to have chaffing right under my chest and all around it that used to turn into sores after a long run.

But even now after trying lots of different bra's, I still have tenderness near the arm pit. I have a bigger chest than you but I wear quite a restrictive bra and it still happens. Its also ten times worse for about a week before my period.

I take 3000mg of Evening Primrose Oil daily, its highly recommended for Breast tenderness and PMT in general. I think the normal dose is 1000mg but a Breast surgeon I know recommends 3000mg and even 4000mg to some of his patients.

I still get tenderness but it defo helps with moods. Sometimes I get anxious about it but then it goes away and when it comes back I can usually put it down to something I've been doing physically.

https://www.healthline.com/health/evening-primrose-oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hi ladies..

Hi,

Please go see your GP.

Help here as to how to check yourself:

https://coppafeel.org/your-boobs/boob-check-101/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scaredycat

Thanks for your advice ladies.. Much appreciated.
    I seem to be a bit less tender today, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm wearing a sports bra that is very restrictive today and yesterday and I think it's helped. I tool yesterday off running so will try this evening and hopefully see how it goes. Will book appt with gp if still here by end of the week, thank you all X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I get terrible tender breasts around when i'm due but because I have the coil in I don't actually get a period but the tenderness is so bad. Like you I wouldn't be big but have to wear 2 sports bras on some runs to make it painless. Along with other symptoms that presented to me I have been sent for 2 Mammograms, one this year & luckily for me they were clear.
    I would agree with the previous advice here, if this is something new to you go get it checked by your GP, always better to err on the side of caution.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 on getting checked by your GP. I've also had a precautionary mammogram for the same reasons. Just to be sure all is well :)
    My GP put it down to my age (cantering up to perimenopausal), the supporting ligaments in my boobs just not as good as they used to be, and running was just asking too much of them:D!
    He also recommended not just a restrictive running bra, but a supportive one. So I bought me some Shock Absorber bras, which made a huge difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi ladies..

I've a very vague memory of feeling pain like this in my chest a long time ago...painful enough to be extremely worrying but I never did anything about it. I've since changed type of sports bra I wear etc so maybe it was connected but I'd get checked out regardless.

@Laineyfrecks is your sports bra ordinarily supportive enough. Don't know about others, when I'm at the tender breasts time of month, the only time they are very painful is when I have just taken a bra off and they drop so sounds like your single sports bra just isn't supportive enough and the pain is from that constant movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

There's a couple of other reasons for tenderness that may not be to do with the support of the bra.
    One is to do with the form you run with
    Doing upper body exercises along with the running
    Breasts being larger during certain times of the month which can cause more friction or tightness with the bra. (You are told by bra fitters to get fitted during the normal time of the cycle.) In that case its just a matter of adjusting the bra straps and loosening the clasp.

I agree with OP about the tenderness only being noticeable when you take the bra off. It wouldn't be during running movement for me anyway. If it was then the first thing I would do is change the bra since not only have you to contend with issues with movement and bounce which can be painful but you will also find that you will be rolling your breasts up into a bra sooner rather than later :D
    Never a good idea to wear a non supportive bra.
    I think though that most women notice this problem initially when they start out running so not sure if this is scaredycat's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I've a very vague memory of feeling pain like this in my chest a long time ago...painful enough to be extremely worrying but I never did anything about it. I've since changed type of sports bra I wear etc so maybe it was connected but I'd get checked out regardless.

@Laineyfrecks is your sports bra ordinarily supportive enough. Don't know about others, when I'm at the tender breasts time of month, the only time they are very painful is when I have just taken a bra off and they drop so sounds like your single sports bra just isn't supportive enough and the pain is from that constant movement?

Yes the bra I wear is usually very supportive, but in the last couple of months since getting the coil back in I have found them even more tender than usual. I have purchased a new bra now for during that time which hopefully helps. I agree a supportive bra makes all the difference & it was more a case of me sorting the issue till I got one that worked.

Advertisement