Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DPF cleaning

Options
  • 27-02-2021 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Can anyone recommend a good company in Ireland to get a DPF cleaned? Preferably in the Dublin area.

I did a quick Google and many options pop up. Do they all use the same technique? Are some better than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

McOptimist wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good company in Ireland to get a DPF cleaned? Preferably in the Dublin area.

I did a quick Google and many options pop up. Do they all use the same technique? Are some better than others?

I had mine done in the dpf centre in greenogue ind estate rathcoole, very quick, only a few hours and reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

A neighbour of mine got this done a while back. I think he said it cost him €400. I thought that was expensive.
    Also, the light came back on his dash a few weeks later. He reckons they just ran it up and down the M50 in 3rd gear until the light went off and gave it back to him! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I've had a fair whack of diesel cars myself and not a single one of them had an issue with a blocked DPF. I've hadn't had to have them cleaned out etc.

I remember my Saab did actually have a small problem with dropping power and engine light which gave off that DPF blocked feeling but it was actually a pressure sensor that just needed replacing and it was fine, no issue.

Does your driving warrent a diesel with a DPF ? What car is it ? On the off chance it could be something else.

I'm sure these DPF cleaning systems do work in some way but it may not be a permanent fix, the DPF should be able to look after itself and if it isn't there's a problem that a cleaning won't fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

McOptimist wrote: »

Coolmine motors near blanch did mine a few yrs back. Decent guys decent price from what I recall.

If you can find someone to rip it out to feck. Future proofing.

Mind me asking car type, reason for asking is that some DPF regents are connected to other systems, BMW are tied into glow plugs etc. So even if you fix and don't solve the old issue you will just be back in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I've had a fair whack of diesel cars myself and not a single one of them had an issue with a blocked DPF. I've hadn't had to have them cleaned out etc.

I remember my Saab did actually have a small problem with dropping power and engine light which gave off that DPF blocked feeling but it was actually a pressure sensor that just needed replacing and it was fine, no issue.

Does your driving warrent a diesel with a DPF ? What car is it ? On the off chance it could be something else.

I'm sure these DPF cleaning systems do work in some way but it may not be a permanent fix, the DPF should be able to look after itself and if it isn't there's a problem that a cleaning won't fix.

Regardless of mileage or style of driving, DPFs will fill eventually fill and need to be either cleaned or replaced. Regeneration will burn off the soot built up via the combustion process but ash cannot be burnt off which is what DPFs typically get blocked with. Soot once burned builds up as ash in the DPF. You can get intermittent engine lights if the regen process doesnt happen as a result of say lots of short journeys that a long blast will cure but ultimately the DPF is a consumable part.

My wife has a 1.6dci qashqai that never had a short journey in its life from new, 80k motorway miles over 2 years from new until my ownership, and it still filled with ash and blocked the DPF by 140k miles.

Cant recommend anywhere but have had mine cleaned for €200 (seems to be the going rate down south) not including removal and reinstall. Make sure to get flow reports before/after cleaning, wont be a problem if its a legit company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Majority of DPF issues are connected to incorrect fuel to air ratio, not to the 'city driving'.

Unless the underlying issue is fixed - typically intake manifold leaking air after air mass sensor or an leaky diesel injector - DPF problem will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Regardless of mileage or style of driving, DPFs will fill eventually fill and need to be either cleaned or replaced. Regeneration will burn off the soot built up via the combustion process but ash cannot be burnt off which is what DPFs typically get blocked with. Soot once burned builds up as ash in the DPF. You can get intermittent engine lights if the regen process doesnt happen as a result of say lots of short journeys that a long blast will cure but ultimately the DPF is a consumable part.

My wife has a 1.6dci qashqai that never had a short journey in its life from new, 80k motorway miles over 2 years from new until my ownership, and it still filled with ash and blocked the DPF by 140k miles.

Cant recommend anywhere but have had mine cleaned for €200 (seems to be the going rate down south) not including removal and reinstall. Make sure to get flow reports before/after cleaning, wont be a problem if its a legit company.

Ash is a product of burning engine oil. That's why the ACEA Cx oils were introduced - to significantly reduce amount of ash in exhaust. If one is using correct oil, the ash will not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Martin Forrester in grangegorman does Dpf cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

I used these guys a few years ago:

https://thedpfcentre.ie/

I found them pretty good/friendly/efficient.

I had a faulty glow plug module on my BMW which meant that the car stopped doing DPF regens :( so got completely clogged up.

Cheers,

~LTD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Hi,

I used these guys a few years ago:

https://thedpfcentre.ie/

I found them pretty good/friendly/efficient.

I had a faulty glow plug module on my BMW which meant that the car stopped doing DPF regens :( so got completely clogged up.

Cheers,

~LTD

Would you get any engine light on because of glow plug not working? As warning

• Advertisement

Whocare wrote: »

Engine management light usually, then it an either be a plug or relay.

Engine management light usually, then it an either be a plug or relay.

Glow plugs don't always bring on an engine light.

Unless they were mostly all gone and the car struggled to start then maybe but I wouldn't use that as a sign

Glow plugs don't always bring on an engine light.

Unless they were mostly all gone and the car struggled to start then maybe but I wouldn't use that as a sign

In my 520d 1 plug acting faulty would set off the engine management light to be fair, Had the computer so always knew the cause.

Everyone should really get an OBD 2 or applicable for their car, makes life more straightforward

In my 520d 1 plug acting faulty would set off the engine management light to be fair, Had the computer so always knew the cause.

Everyone should really get an OBD 2 or applicable for their car, makes life more straightforward

I had a Volvo D5 and the engine light never came on but when I plugged in a generic obd 2, it wouldn't show anything, but when I used the Volvo laptop on it only then it would show 1 or 2 glow plugs not working. 1 was the relay and the other was the glow plug itself. But no eml light for them

So again, I wouldn't depend on the engine light to tell if or not a glow plug is gone

I had a Volvo D5 and the engine light never came on but when I plugged in a generic obd 2, it wouldn't show anything, but when I used the Volvo laptop on it only then it would show 1 or 2 glow plugs not working. 1 was the relay and the other was the glow plug itself. But no eml light for them

So again, I wouldn't depend on the engine light to tell if or not a glow plug is gone

Thats fair, generic OBD didn't work on BMW - more specific model required.

Was only 40 quid. They will never be as good as the proper software.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Whocare wrote: »

No, which was the frustrating part.

If the light had come on, i would have checked for issues (I have the software).

It was only a 20 min DIY job iirc to replace the control unit too after having had to shell out for DPF clean..

Apparently if there are any engine management issues with or without warning light then it wont do a DPF regen...

Car is an E60 520d btw...

~LTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Seems to depend on the car i have a 2012 avensis with 193000km on it never had a dpf issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ofcork wrote: »
    Seems to depend on the car i have a 2012 avensis with 193000km on it never had a dpf issue.

No it's just usually people buying a diesel who don't need a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

tcawley29 wrote: »
    No it's just usually people buying a diesel who don't need a diesel.

I think Covid restrictions are having an impact, a lot of diesel cars are not even getting occasional long trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think Covid restrictions are having an impact, a lot of diesel cars are not even getting occasional long trips.

I understand that but even before covid there was plenty of drivers out there driving a diesel with absolutely no need for one.

More than likely it will still be the same story after covid restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement