Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace pension scheme - limits for tax relief

Options
  • 11-08-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi folks, i was wondering if anyone knew if employers contributions counted towards the contribution limits for tax relief? I have read different things online. I am 32 so my contribution limit would be 20% of my earnings . My ee pays in 5% and I 3% but considering making some AVCs up to the point that my tax relief cut off. Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

If it is a defined contribution plan the 20% does not include the employers contribution

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Your max. contribution for tax purposes is 20%. What your employer pays on top of that isn't considered for your income tax relief.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bigmc23 wrote: »
    Hi folks, i was wondering if anyone knew if employers contributions counted towards the contribution limits for tax relief? I have read different things online. I am 32 so my contribution limit would be 20% of my earnings . My ee pays in 5% and I 3% but considering making some AVCs up to the point that my tax relief cut off. Thanks in advance !

What the others said, but I do believe there is some leeway for overpayment now too since you haven't been paying the max. Would have to look up the specifics. But yes 20+their 5 in general is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Thanks everyone , much appreciated

Advertisement