Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharged for an item _ process

Options
  • 03-08-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, I was overcharged for an item on a website (genuine mistake) the merchant is asking me to provide ID and bank statements, send them in and they can process the payment etc..

Is this normal procedure? Surely they can see on there system that I was charged twice for the same item (can see it clearly on my bank statement).

Are they legally allowed to ask for this information?

I have yet to contact my bank as its holiday, I've never had this happen before so wanted to check from others experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Can't see what use ID and bank statements are just to process a refund...it's not as if they required them to make the original sale...and what will they be verifying them with...seems an odd request.

AFAIK all the merchant needs to do is refund via the channel used for the original transaction eg Paypal, debit card etc.

They must surely be able to see that the original transaction amount was incorrect in their account.

Has the item been shipped/received?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I'm guessing it's an American company and this is some standard requirement in the US. Could be for tax reasons, if they reduce their sales they need to show why.

If you paid by credit card/paypal just ignore them and open a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

What website are you talking about here?

I would never send those kind of documents to anything other than a bona fide financial institution or possibly a utility; certainly not an online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I know that Tesco remove your details after 3 days. did you call the merchant and ask why they need this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Were you over-charged or twice charged?

If twice charged, simply do a chargeback. No need for you to provide such personal information to a retail store.

Give them an opportunity to refund, but let them know that you will go the chargeback route if they don't process it and chargeback result in an additional fee to them

In terms of "legally" (so many people mis-understand this word) - they can ask you to run two marathons and spend 5 hours doing jumping jacks and then scratch your armpits if they like. But you can refuse such request and they can't make it a condition of a refund

• Advertisement
Advertisement