Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free health & Dexa scan

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

What information do you get from the test?

The real draw for participation is the DEXA scan. You get your body composition from the DEXA; This being your body fat percentage, lean mass percentage, total body fat, where you carry your fat primarily, whether your fat is visceral etc. as well as your bone density (more important for women/older people).

DEXA scans are considered the gold standard in checking body fat percentage and can't really be bettered apart from an autopsy.

As well as that, you get your blood glucose levels checked, your grip strength, your blood pressure checked, height measurements, waist and hip measurements and your weight.

They aren't doing the fitness test anymore due to safety reasons so you don't get your aerobic fitness checked.

I loved it as I'm into fitness (weightlifting/running) but even if you just wanted a general check up on your some biomarkers of your health I think it would be worth anyone's time. They explain the results to you afterwards and give you an information pack that details standard results for your age/sex and where you fall in those.

Acey10 wrote: »
    hi, do you get your body fat percentage or basal metabolic rate?

Yes, you get your body fat percentage but not your BMR. BMR is tricky to calculate (your CO2 expenditure needs to be measured/ can be affected by what you've eaten/whether you've exercised that day etc).

Knowing your total lean tissue from the DEXA will give you a better idea of your BMR tho.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Can I book this online?? Where can I view available slots?

I just called them up but you can email in as well. They're still looking for volunteers.

https://genofit.ie/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭recyclops

Going to do this tomorrow after they contacted me today, the only thing i havent seen in the information regarding what to wear, is it general running attire ( shorts t shirt) or what

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭bewhiched

recyclops wrote: »
    Going to do this tomorrow after they contacted me today, the only thing i havent seen in the information regarding what to wear, is it general running attire ( shorts t shirt) or what

Hi
    How did you get on I'm on their cancellation list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Did this today at the Pearse St office after asking for an appointment three weeks ago - very professional and over in about 40 minutes including doing the health survey on an iPad at the end.
    If anyone is wondering what you wear, the main thing is to avoid clothes with metal zips and studs as the DEXA scan can't see through it; you can bring a pair of shorts etc. and change into them there if all your strides have zips! They need to take a vial of blood and your blood pressure so short sleeves are also best.
    The hardest thing for me was the scan as you need to keep still for it - takes about seven minutes. The scanning arm moves down from head to foot (you are lying down, clothed) so once it has gone below your waist you can scratch your nose again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Can you still apply for this?

ooter wrote: »
    Can you still apply for this?

Send them an email, they'll tell you when they have availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Finally did my own last week, very professional team and looking forward to getting a picture of the Dexa scan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

GooglePlus wrote: »
    All blood samples and health information are pseudonymised. This means that a unique GMI study number is used to label your samples and data, instead of your name or date of birth. The Research Team at the Institute for Sport and Health, UCD are the only individuals who can link your name to the GMI study number.

As part of this study, researchers from Ireland and other countries (EU and non-EU) may access information in the GMI database, to increase the chance of important discoveries. These groups may include University researchers, pharmaceutical or biotechnology research groups and for-profit companies.

Although your genetic data will be shared with externals, it won't be linked to you. Only UCD will have access to this information.

I think it's a great offer, a dexa scan is great for showing visceral fat. Many skinny folks out there with internal bellys!

And exposure to radiation..with dexa scanner. It's used to diagnose osteoporosis. Your grip strength is important in determining you future health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭andydurnin

Dose anyone know how long this taken and what days they do it? What did people wear to it?

andydurnin wrote: »
    What did people wear to it?

I literally answered that a few posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I called them and they are looking for people, and right now have lots of appointments to choose from. At least in UCD they do as I didn't call Pearse St. They need 15,000 participants. They are going to advertise shortly so that should hoover them up. They email you details of what not to wear etc and you should allow an hour for it.

Advertisement